Most elegant footballers

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by brassmonkey, Feb 27, 2007.

1. coalescence

coalescence New Member

Feb 13, 2011
    I don't know if he's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I just have to say: Javier Pastore.

This thin Argentinian is a joy to watch. He has an extraordinary elegancy when he dribles. In addition, he makes passes which no one else can see. I think he will be a player which will be remembered from the 10th century.

2. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In my mind "elegance" is a matter of opinion, and in my opinion, some of the most elegant footballers I have seen are....

Technique Type A: natural and improvised.

1) Lio Messi -- all his movements are very fluid and natural, appears to be gliding as opposed to running.

2) George Best -- similar to Messi but equally good with both feet, and with a more elegant and slender and taller physique.

3) Carlos Valderrama -- similar technique to that of Lio Messi, appears to be gliding as opposed to running, but at a much slower pace and with an epic hairstyle.

4) Diego Maradona -- the player to whom Lio Messi is compared, was entirely left footed but could do anything with the ball. In terms of technique he was as elegant as could be, but his built or physique was not as elegant as other players.

5) Roberto Baggio -- the Italian Maradona, great elegance but unfortunately his knee injuries affected his elegance since he started moving more "lineally" and less fluidly after his numerous knee injuries.

6) Matt Le Tissier -- appeared to be gliding as opposed to running, which is an incredible quality when you consider his size, was equally gifted with either foot, could dribble past players without running, almost without even trying.

Technique Type B: systematic and rehearsed.

1) Roman Riquelme -- a player unlike any other, never used step overs, always used sole of the foot dribbles, could literally play at walking pace, in my opinion the best at shielding the ball without the necessity of running.

2) Zinedine Zidane -- roulette, step overs, every trick in the book with extreme elegance and consistency, significantly faster than he looked, unlike any other player.

3) Ronaldo -- he was elegant at ridiculous speeds.

3. Gregoire

Gregoire Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Great post! But I think we could add Ronaldinho,Djalminha and Pele in both lists, Kopa in list 2, Ortega in list 1.

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Not sure that I followed your thought of the 2 types?

You put Ronaldo as "systematic and rehearsed" ? Ronaldo was among the laziest players to train or do training - he was a natural born talent.

I would devide in to two subcategories:
    1- Elegance as " natural as a joy" to watch - Maradona, Garrincha, Pele Ronaldo, Zico Eusebio Mess ...
    2- Elegance as "clean, lean and artistic style" - Cruyff, Baggio, Zidane, Socrates, Best Basten Laudrup Henry Roanldinho

5. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    [​IMG]
    perfect description of two very rare players.

6. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Roman Riquelme and Zinedine Zidane are very rehearsed yet elegant. On the other hand, Lio Messi does appears to be improvising all the time, as opposed to having a set of trademark tricks.

About Ronaldo, he did used a lot of very systematic tricks, but at the same time he made it look improvised, so perhaps I mentioned him on the wrong list.

But those are the differences that I notice the most, Luis Figo was extremely systematic vs Lio Messi whom appears to be improvising.

Anyways. To be honest. There are a lot of elegant footballers.

7. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Great shout for "Jinky" here, mate: I must have missed this when you 1st posted it...]

frasermc repped this.
  8. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Deco is very elegant. One of the tricks the nicest I've seen.

Felipe is other great elegant player in Brazil. But didn't a great career in Europe.

9. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Do you mean Best AND van Basten here, mate?]

10. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    like someone already said. enzo francescoli. truly one of the most gracefull players ever.

locoxriver repped this.
  11. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yep ... may be Best should belong more to the type "a joy to watch" , but also he was an elegant type, not so "bulky fight" in dribbling a la Maradona and Ronaldo

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  12. Onlygoalburns

Onlygoalburns New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Felipe is other great elegant player in Brazil. But didn't a great career in Europe.
    [/quote]

Totally agree, like in this recent performance:

But, to me, it has to be Paulo Roberto Falcão:

13. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Elegance is a thing of beauty. And of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But for me, Fernando Redondo and Zinedine Zidane are the epitome of elegance in football.

14. James88

James88 Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    for me the elegance is when you do the impossible with naturalness.

Messi has a natural technique

Ronaldo had a particular way of playing. A fascinating union between physical strength, supersonic speed and great technique.

15. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    no Chino Silva?

16. James88

James88 Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  17. James88

James88 Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  18. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Sir Tom Finney was a bit like this (in the sense of his attributes when on-the-ball); but as a winger...

19. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some nice footage of "The Plumber" in action for both club & country:

PDG1978 repped this.
  20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    While I agree with you, Zidane had got great "elegance gesture" and "artistic look" (at his moves and ball control), one notice that He was NOT an "ELEGANT player" when he was caught up in bad mood. Zidane lefta WC record of 2 redcards/3WC participation (and many yellows in his club career) , much more so than any Attacking Playmakers in his position (like Pele, Di Stefano Cruijff Maradona Zico Platini Laudrup ....)

21. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Going by the lists, I think a lot of people give far too much importance to the "physical build" of the players, rather than the actual technique of the players. But anyways, as far as "elegance" goes, I would divide them into different categories,

crème de la crème ~ Johan Cruijff, Carlos Valderrama, Roberto Baggio, Maradona 1990 version, Enzo Francescoli, Fernando Redondo, Zinedine Zidane, Roman Riquelme.

(note: Maradona's dribbling, from an aesthetic point of view, got more refined and stylish in 1989/1990, in my opinion.)

crème de la bakery ~ Andres Iniesta, Michael Laudrup, Matt Le Tissier, pre-injury Francesco Totti, Maradona 1986 version, Romario, Lio Messi, Ronaldo 2003 version, Andrea Pirlo, Kaka, Rivaldo, Arshavin, Mesut Ozil.

(note: in my opinion, R9 improved drastically, in terms of style or "elegance", after his serious knee injury.)

crème de la reserve ~ Xavi Hernandez, Pavel Nedved, Luis Figo, Alessandro Del Piero, Deco, Thierry Henry, David Beckham, Steven Gerrard.

Players not included (in any category) because I haven't seen them play ~ Van Basten, Dennis Bergkamp, Glenn Hoddle, Beckenbauer, Gheorghe Hagi, Ruud Gullit, Zico, Socrates, Platini, Rui Costa, Cesar Cueto, etc.

22. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Pablo Aimar is a more elegant player than most you just mentioned IMO. Krol was extremely elegant too. Perhaps Elías Figueroa as well. And for the very little I have seen, I found Didí to be very elegant too.

23. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #273 leadleader, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    Strongly, very strongly, disagree with you on that. But that just shows that people have different criteria for measuring elegance or something else as subjective as the mentioned concept.

Pablo Aimer has been mentioned numerous times almost like a god-like figure, when it comes to "elegance".... I have to say, having watched him, and re-watching his youtube videos, I honestly don't get it? Elegant, sure, weightless and nimble, yes, but I don't see how he is more elegant than most of the names that I mentioned in the "crème de la crème" category. His physical build is more slender and elegant than many of the names I mentioned, but his actual technique with the ball and his personality with the ball, I don't consider neither more artistic nor more elegant than many of the players that I mentioned. But, again, that's just my opinion.

24. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #274 leadleader, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    Strongly, very strongly, disagree with you on that. But that just shows that people have different criteria for measuring elegance or something else as subjective as the mentioned concept.

Pablo Aimer has been mentioned numerous times almost like a god-like figure, when it comes to "elegance".... I have to say, having watched him, and re-watching his youtube videos, I honestly don't get it? Elegant, sure, weightless and nimble, yes, but I don't see how he is more elegant than most of the names that I mentioned in the "crème de la crème" category. His physical build is more slender and elegant than many of the names I mentioned, but his actual technique with the ball and his personality with the ball, I don't consider neither more artistic nor more elegant than many of the players that I mentioned. But, again, that's just my opinion.

Furthermore, just to give you an example that can explain how I feel about many lists out there. Let's say a person says that Zinedine Zidane, Redondo, and Pablo Aimar, are the top 3 most elegant players ever.... That seems like a rather narrow definition for "elegance" wouldn't you agree?

That would be like me making a list of "the most beautiful women", and naming three women (at the top of the list) who happen to be extremely similar (in skin color, face features, body build) to one another. It's just too narrow a definition, for my liking. Elegance, and also beauty, come in many different packages.

I mean, Redondo (tallest slender type guy), Zidane (second tallest slender type guy), Aimar (the shortest of the three slender guys), is almost like talking about the exact same style of technique. So instantly, the players who don't fit in with that style, are rated lower on the list, just because.... it's just too narrow a definition in my view.

And yes, perhaps the comparison (that I made) between elegant football players and sexy women, might seem odd to some people in here, but really, I find it rather similar in terms of the narrow criteria that can often be found in both topics.

Another example that I could use to further elaborate on my point, would be Diego Maradona. Many people would look at Maradona, see his physical build, short in stature, stocky, and that characteristic chest, and they would not associate him with the idea of "elegance". But in my opinion, his technique in season 1989/1990 was so refined and elegant and unique. So again, it's a matter of opinion of course, but I just happen to think that too many people have a rather narrow definition for what is "elegant" or not.

25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well ... many mixed up between the terms: Beautiful, gracious, Effective and elegant!
    - Joyful = Gracious + effective
    - Gracious = artistically but not necessary effective
    - Elegant = neat and clean (not necessary effective, nor necessary that grace)

Maradona , Messi, and Ronaldo were about "techniques and effective" or a joy to watch. Both Maradona and Ronaldo were not that ... "elegant" in certain cases. But if one SLOW down and ZOOM in .. they are really beautiful to watch (at close up in slow motion).

Socrates, Beckenbauer, Scirea, Hagi , Redondo, Kaka , Aimar ... were elegant

Zidane, Riquelme, Ronaldinho, Okocha, Baggio ... were gracious .

The term "beautiful" is so relative .. like people say "belongs to the beholder" so ... in all 3 cases, they are all "beautiful" in their own style.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.