Most Classless Act of the World Cup...

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Lothar is 1, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you haven't seen him play ALOT, please don't say he's classy. To those of us who have, it's really not the most apt description. Great, yes. Classy, no.

2. stralian

stralian New Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Indiana, USA
    No, Grosso is just an experienced diver. he knows what to do to make it "look" realistic... because he's Italian, it's in the genes. C Ronaldo on the other hand, needs practice.

3. Black

Black New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I voted for Holland not giving the ball back to Portugal, that in my mind was the lowest point in this World Cup. But that whole match was tainted by bad sportsmanship by both teams, from Boularouz tackle to Figo's headbutt, to Robbens flopping around like a dead fish etc.

Also Rooneys nut stomping and push on Ronaldo was utterly stupid and right in front of the reff. His hot temper was well rewarded with a red.

Grossos dive against Australia WAS a dive or an "embelishment" which ever you want to call it. I felt it wasnt overly theatrical, however the timing of it was really unjust and so sour.

Henry's fake elbow from Puyol was probably the worst play acting all tournament and he for my money was the worst offender for dives or embelishments this World Cup, mainly because his acting directly affected the outcome of 2 matches.

C.Ronaldo's dive against Germany was also rediculous, however he hardly, if ever embelished in his group matches or against Holland. I suspect that the English media has added to his reputation more than he has himself, especially with the Rooney incident.

Zidanes headbutt was also dissapointing especially when considering how well he's played this tournament.

4. Shpoon

Shpoon New Member

Jun 26, 2006
    Hollan and the ball, or the coach not shaking hands.

Side not: I notice "POR4EVA" hasn't said anything since that Ronaldo dive was shown :rolleyes: .

Dante: Are you a troll, or a mod? I rarely post, as I don't have much time, but you're on a thin line between a Italia fan and a troll.

(That was sort of pent up from other threads, building for a month :p don't take that too bad).

Anyways, on-topic: On second thought, definetely Portigal vs Nederlands. Even though the game was out of control, and IMHO Portugal was a bunch of whiney b.ches, that free kick thing was a disgrace. Allez l'oranges. lol.

5. viperman5000

viperman5000 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Ohio
    Summing up this entirely too long post, the man is passionate about the game. Leave him alone. That passion made him the player he is and probably got him the red as well.

6. stevieg987

stevieg987 Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Zidane is a legend and all others are second class stars.

7. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    I wasn't aware of Arena not shaking hands with Ghana's coach. That would be my top vote. Anyone have more details? That's a bit hypocritical after all his whining about Mexico not trading jerseys in '02.

The diving pretty much ruined this tournament. Some teams were worse than others, but it was happening all over the place. Comparitavely, there were some very hard fouls that were not called. Both of these practices hurt the game and need to be stopped.

The card system showed it's weaknesses this tournament. Carding players without a warning backfired, but letting things go means too many fouls disrupt the flow of the game. After the yellow, there's not much room for error. Maybe FIFA should adopt some NBA and NFL rules regarding fouls. After so many fouls, players could foul-out, or they could sit out for a specified time after flagrant fouls or too many fouls. Also, certain fouls could result in the free kick being moved several yards up the field, maybe give corners in some cases. Giving defenders harsher consequences and setting specific limits could really cut down on fouling, and this might make attackers less likely to dive. Of course they would also need to change the rules for diving. The yellow cards aren't helping, and they're rarely given. An extra on-field official would be essential to getting the calls right. With the speed and acting skills these days, one person just can't be expected to keep up. NBA uses 3 officials, and NFL uses, what, 20? The key is to control the fouls while letting the game flow (which it is not doing now).

Sorry about the off-topic stuff. Just thinking out loud.

8. stralian

stralian New Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Indiana, USA
  9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The point is that you're acting as if it should be in the top three of worst fouls ever made. Which makes me think you don't watch a lot of football. I went to see my 7-yr old cousin's game last night, there were worst tackles in there even. It's the type of thing defenders who a) lack speed b) lack technical skills or c) lack both a) and b) sometimes do. Again I do think it deserved a red card. But it wasn't a criminal offence as you're trying to make it seem. Especially considering that Ronaldo was perfectly fine the next game.

10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were Arena, I wouldn't have shaken hands with the Ghana coach either. Not after Pimpong and a few others tainted the whole match by spending a large percentage of the second half rolling around on the grass in mock agony, and to make it especially interesting, really doing so only when the United States had a counterattacking opportunity.

11. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    What... no "Cristiano Ronaldo's wink to the Portuguese bench" option? :rolleyes:

Anyway, Zidane's headbutt was absolutely disgusting, and even more disgusting than that is to see people trying to excuse or justify that sort of behaviour.

12. Snapple

Snapple BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 11, 2006
    Getting the FIFA to ban important players of the opponent (Frings) and beeing racists over all.

Never seen such a disgusting world cup winner.

13. Snapple

Snapple BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 11, 2006
    Its even more digusting seeing people trying to excuse, what the rat Materazzi did.

14. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That would probably be because this is the first world cup you got to watch. Does Daddy know you are using his computer?

15. pippomo

pippomo Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Modena
    ahahhah. What did he do?

16. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA
    Damn it. I've got to keep up with you guys man.

I was just about to post a thread called.....

THE "Rivaldo Vitor Borba Ferreira" Award

Anyway, I'd say that the most classless act that hit me emotianally as well, has to be the Grosso leap over Lucas Neil.

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, a newbie troll!

18. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA
    AB.....SO......LUTE......LY WORLD CLASS!!! :D :clap:

However, I do think you needed to delay the appearance of Grosso by another minute or two. LOL

That incident, albeit not the worst, had to have been the most heart-wrenching for me.

No grudges though, the Italians pulled thier socks up and got it done. Their match against the Germans is near legend.

19. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dante, can we do anything about this kind of posting?

It's really getting excessive and disgusting. I'm losing my respect for some people on this forum...

20. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA
    We were all there once aswell you know! ;)............

......That said............

.....DaveyGorgeous? Unless you have re-registered under a different name or something, I find it extremely hard to believe that you could have even gained any sort of respect to lose within such a short period of time.

Of course, like I said, if thier is some misunderstanding on my part.....(such as re-registered or v.I.P personal settings alteration) Then pls disregard my response. :)

Oh, and to add to the Grosso long-jump attempt, I'd like to throw Figo in there. Pathetic how he only got a yellow for a headbutt to the head, yet Rooney gets carded for a slight shove.... (I'm sorry, I still fail to see how anyone can say he was sent-off for the stomp. I reckon that reason was thrown in thier belatedly as a scapegoat for a poor call).....and Zidane gets RED-Carded (and rightly so) for a headbutt to the chest.

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a mod on this forum. You would have to contact one of the mods for this particular forum.

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the difference here is if you look at the posts of the person. Davey has made some good arguments without resorting to insults and has actually taken part in discussions. A lot of the trolls and sockpuppets have come on and just posted insults and other crap and have contributed absolutely zero to the discussions.

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    This is the thing, I have no idea why some players (Figo) get away with diving despite their god awful reputation whereas others get sent off at the drop of a hat. It was suggested on this thread that the Bouhlarouz foul on Ronaldo was terrible because the latter is 'a beautiful player' (assuming that this person wasn't exactly sorry when Stam had to have his eyebrow stitched on the subs bench without any drugs whatsoever a couple of years ago).

Anyway I've come to the conclusion you're all gay.

24. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA
    Fair enough. Like I said, if there's misunderstanding on my part, I'll take it back. ;)

25. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes I did have to in fact re-register very recently.

It's okay, no harm done Pottertons.