Morocco 2010: NY Times Article

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Autogolazo, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/23/sports/soccer/23soccer.html

As usual, if you can't access, use "bigsoccer" or "bigsoccer@bigsoccer.com" and "bigsoccer"...

I think Morocco and S. Africa are essentially the only viable bids.

For me, Morocco should be the host for the following reasons:

1. Proximity to Western Europe. For fan access, for infrastructure support, for medical reasons. Very few can afford to fly to S. Africa. Many can take the ferry to Morocco.

2. King who can command that riches be spent on projects immediately--no bureaucratic red tape of a democracy.

3. Winter at that time in S. Africa. Morocco, while hot, cools off for night games, at least. In 1998, the pre-WC tourney was successful with night games. This would be prime time in Europe--perfect for TV.

S. Africa crime vs. Morocco terrorism seems a tossup.

2. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    South Africa sits more in the 1st World than the 3rd World. Word is that they have rather excellent medical facilities from the apartheid era.

Morocco may face problems since they still have territorial disputes with Spain.

South Africa also sits in Prime-Time TV land as well. Most of it's facilities are up to date.

I'm giving South Africa the edge.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    south africa definitely has a HUGE edge because they were supposed to get the WC in 2006, but a switched vote or 2 and/or an abstention at the last second saw them lose out to Germany by 1 vote. get your tickets ready for South Africa, because this thing ain't gonna be anywhere else in Africa.

4. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I also think Morroco will become the host for the next world cup, no real reasoning behind it, just got that feeling. :D

5. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Have you guys seen the prices of airline tickets to S. Africa lately from anywhere? Astronomical. And the crime statistics? Even higher. NOBODY will want to go to S. Africa because of the crime and because in winter the weather's cold and there's nothing else to do. You'll have the sort of sterile atmosphere in the stands we saw in Asia for all non-S. Africa matches.

Morocco is close to the Costa del Sol of Spain, Portugal, all the resort islands (Canaries, etc.), and has a nice coast of its own that will be enjoying summer sun.

I don't think this will be awarded on guilt, either, just because S. Africa came close and missed out last time.

European support for Morocco could win the day.

This is going to be a real battle.

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm sure that the players and fans will enjoy the 100F+ weather.:rolleyes:

7. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Morocco and South Africa have aspects that should disqualify them automaticly. The problem is, they are the least objectionable sites in Africa. Really neither deserves it, so just pick one it wont make much difference.

8. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Airline tickets are always going to be the expensive part of the trip. People can get by quite well travelling in South Africa on $60USD/day.

South African authorities have done much to deal with the crime issue. Soccer fans would be safe since they do tend to travel in groups.

9. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Playing in the South African winter is no problem at all. Playing in the north African summer is a HUGE problem. The only way to get around it is to play all matches after 20 00. As there are often three games a day in the WC that would mean playing them at 20 00, 22 00, and midnight. If they can do it that way, fine . But making people play in the north-African summer sun would be close to a death sentence

10. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Agreed, but maybe they can build a few dozen domes by then? ;) I've got an idea, why don't they just tell everyone that the World Cup is in Morrocco, but then just send everyone to Spain instead?

11. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I had been to both countries. South Africa is very similiar to Australia and Canada in terms of infrastructure. People tended to forget that they are in Africa when visiting South Africa because everything is so "Australian" or "North American".

For Morocco, it is an authentic Third World country. I cannot imagine that it is bidding for a WC Finals.... I cannot imagine it hosting one.

As for the weather, the winter in South Africa is actually ideal for soccer. It is cool, but warm enough for short sleeves. I am looking forward to sit in a stadium wearing short sleeves under sun while not sweating. Their winter supposed to be dry season too.

The crime rates in South Africa is very high. It might be their only obstacle. But now, people are more worried about terrorism than carjacks, rapes or pickpockets. But my feeling is.... there will be threat of terrorism, regardless of the location of the host. Capetown was actually the first place ever got hit by Al Quada.

12. Eagle Winged

Eagle Winged New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pathway to Living
    Reasons why Morocco shouldnt host it: it wouldnt be an African World Cup, it would just be European. Do Morrocco even meantion Africa at all in their bid? No. Because like most North Africans, they like to pretend they're European and shy away from being part of Africa.
    South Africas stadia is ALREADY at least 10 times better than Moroccos, and far better than most European nations.

People can keep deceiving themselves into thinking SA is a third world country if they want. And can also keep deceiving themselves into thinking Morocco is richer. But:

Morocco:
    Average annual income:US $1,190 (World Bank, 2001)

South Africa:
    Average annual income: US $2,820 (World Bank, 2001)

Though theres chance of terrorism anywhere, Morocco is at a major disadvantage. Being an Islamic country and all, plus the recent terrorist attack there.

SA's crime isnt a "major" problem. What, do you think people will be staying in ghettos or something? I bet theres many here who've been to South Africa on holiday, have you ever had crime trouble? And SA's crime doesnt much affect them being one of the biggest destinations for tourists, in the world.

SA being CHEATED out of 2006 wil also play a big part. Add to this that South Africa hosted the Cricket World Cup only earlier this year (flawlessly) and the Rugby World Cup in 1995 (flawlessly, and only 1 year after apartheid), while Morocco have NEVER staged a world event even close to such magnitude.

Unless Morocco go ahead with their join bid idea with Tunisia, then i think its SA all the way. Though even with that joint bid, i think SA will still run away with it (and thank goodness).

13. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    I hope Morocco get the 2010 world cup, south africans think its allready in the bag, but just like 2006 they may be in 4 a shock. Fifa like to pull nice little surprises. And another thing, i think the only reason 2010 will be open 4 only african bids is because south africa did a fair bit off moaning and whining so u could say they are partly responsible 4 this flawed rotation system fifa have introduced. For that reason alone i hope they dont get it.

14. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    They also possess a country once called "Western Sahara." This allowed them to essentially double their territory. It is far from resolved, the last I checked, which hasn't been in the last few months.
    Go Polisario! :D

[​IMG]

15. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Eagle Winged

Eagle Winged New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pathway to Living
    This ultimately proves your anti-SA bias, hypocrisy and contradiction.
    In one thread you're going on about SA not being able to hold a world cup and complaining about stadia etc, while in another you're supporting Morocco. A country which doesnt even have half the stadia or infrastructure for hosting a WC as SA does. And you probably know even less about Morocco than you do SA. You really are a moron.

17. blackpool fc mark

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    eagle winged = s africa's biggest fan boy

18. Eagle Winged

Eagle Winged New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pathway to Living
    Re: eagle winged = s africa's biggest fan boy

19. blackpool fc mark

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    South Africas whining, bitching, moaning and massive hissy fit after u lost 2 germany 4 2006 ( and rightly so) is the main reason 4 the rotation system. Full Stop.

The world cup should go round the world as long as they can make it a good 1. A good solution could be europe every 3 world cups? I think that wud be just about fair as there are far to many candidates in europe to fight over 1 w/c every 20years. The olympics wont settle for anything but the best, why should the world cup?

20. Eagle Winged

Eagle Winged New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pathway to Living
    Ok, i see what you mean. So you must think whining, bitching, moaning and having a massive hissy fit yourself, will get what you want.

A WC in Europe every 3? Fine by me.
    But by the time the WC started happening in Europe every 3, there will most probably me alot more countries around the world capable of hosting it.

And by the way, please stop referring to SA as "you". I'm not South African.

21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Morocco's bid

Morocco always wins.

22. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Dude,South Africa was "whining" because they felt that they were robbed...Germany didn't win fair and square!

23. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    South Africa will host in 2010, the rest is a joke.

24. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    SA or Morocco... we don't care.

As far as they televise all games on US TV.

25. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    Yes, it will be perfect for TV. Its the same time-zone. Better than 2002.