More trialists...

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by ngower, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    According to Kyle J McCarthy's Twitter...

"New England will have Abdou Khadre Fall (ASC Diaraf / Senegal) and Rhonald Moreno (Colombian) training with the team this week."

"Fall is a striker who also featured for Senegal in its friendly defeat in Chicago on May 10. It is his only cap to date."

"In case you're looking for a photo of Fall, the AP believes it caught him during the friendly: http://bit.ly/dv1eNz"

No clue what has happened to the Senegalese defender. Say what you will about them not latching on, but we've got to be nearing double digits in trialists this year. That's at least an acknowledgement that whoever's in charge knows we're ****ed without help!

2. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think "training" necessarily means "trialist"

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Training" almost always means "trialist".

4. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exhibit A: Smith, Khano - 2010

5. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Why bring in a player currently under contract with another team, and bring in both players from overseas, if you have no interest in seeing them play?

6. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Play or practice? I don't think there are any more opportunities to see players in actual games this year.

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch. Ouch. They haven't even had the all-star game yet.

8. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I mean is,there are no more friendlies to play. I don't think trialists can play in an actual league game.

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we maybe kinda sorta have to galaxatize the rules a little bit! What, your dad never successfully slipped the mustachioed 14 year old into your Little League team's lineup? We've got Sunils in high places AND Kraft is a savvy business man. Those two facts alone, not to mention we've got uber-competent Nearpost Burns running this shindig, give me undying faith in the powers-that-be to find a solution to get our big Senegalese trialist in against the Fire. :D

ok you're right, but that's no fun
    ;)

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/superliga

11. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Revs sign Fall, hopefully he doesn't suck otherwise we'll have Fail up top, supported by Failin' in the midfield...ouch

13. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know anything about Rhonald Moreno, the guy from Columbia?

Whenever I try to look him up, Google takes out the H in his name and I get information about a dentist in Washington.

14. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know who else played for ASC Diaraf? Joseph Niouky. Yeah, let's go back to that well. ;)

Odd that Moreno is such a mystery man. Has the FO taken La Barra seriously in their belief their membership can play better than the Revs regulars and given one a trial? :D

Also, yeah, er...no more friendlies in which to try these guys out. Woops.

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burnsy has worldwide "contacts" at big clubs all over the world...

ASC Diaraf has 3 current players according to wikipedia

If Ronaldinho doesn't work out there's always Rhonaldo, a Colombian who's so good he's top secret even to Google..

Seriously, these obscurity jokes just write themselves. Unf*ckingbelievable.

Are they trying to get rid of their remaining fans? If so, it's working. Just move the goddamn team to Montreal and get it overwith. Hard to support this minor league dross in its current form.

16. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    What we really need is not a trialist at all - we need a experienced pro that can slot right in, is a stellar player,and who has a pedigree and reputation and can be the mentor that this team so desperatley needs. Kind of like what Nowak was that first year in Chicago.

Actually, we need 2-3 of these types of players.

If that is a DP, then so be it.

We only need trailists if we are trying to survive this season - so sign someone on a little 4 month contract while the real plan is happening. (sigh)

17. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if we went out and signed three players like this---odds are the overwhelming majority of posts about our roster would still be negative. ;)

18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whadda you care if people are "negative?" You can be the "realist" and show us the error of our ways when you are one again proven correct :)

For the record, even if it's a guy I've never heard of (which is usually the case), I am happy when they sign a new player. I thought Castro would be good, and Ricardo Phillips, and I even said it was a good move to sign Steve Howey (It was--there was no downside to it, even if he didn't work out. The alternative would have been to keep Doubt-a Kan't-ay on the end of the bench for the rest of the year).

I would rather the club make moves that don't always work out than to keep saying "Hey, I got no pressure on me," while twiddling your thumbs. News flash: If your team is performing badly and personnel is your job, you should be feeling pressure to get better players than the ones you have. If not, maybe you should go back to your job greeting people as they walk in the door at Wal-Mart.

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I suppose someone like rkupp is going to multi quote me and say something in which the theme is "you can't have your cake and eat it too" with an ultimate pro-FO spin, but here goes anyway. Let's be honest -personnel evaluation needs to be a bit of both identifying talent (trialists) and then taking action. You can bring in obscure trialists all day long for the only sport played in every single country on the planet. Even the Swiss Guards in Vatican City probably play pick up games. However, it's maddening when the trialists that are brought in and could potentially help this team aren't given a fair shot to train with the club, not signed and ..wait for it.. then nothing happens. All due respect to Ralston but that's NOT the signing to take us over the top. Cue the Jim Mora "PLAYOFFS!?" press conference here.

I agree with your second paragraph. For example, if the Revs signed that Serbian d-mid back in May and the Haitian forward trialists, to your point, it's better than doing nothing. They are signing these guys with the intention of improving the team. Instead, they (what appears to joe fan) haphazardly fly them in, give them 24-36 hours (tops) to train with the team, play them against Benfica, then unceremoniously send them on their way. If you're going to do that but then surprise - no, shock - us and sign Robert Pires, Thierry Henry, Robert Koren, well regarded DP du jour, OK cool. I will be the first to salute this FO the day they step it up and do that. But to bring obscure trialists in for the sake of bringing in obscure trialists does zero to improve this team. Cut Videira and use his spot to bring in Griffiths, maybe he can help in the middle of the park.

20. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    agreed.

21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The general response to player signings is always positive on these boards. No one had ever heard of Perovic or Niouky but the response was pretty warm for both signings. Niouky has sucked and Perovic has been solid, people obviously speak poorly of and are negative towards Niouky because he doesn't belong on the field. Perovic on the other hand is spoken highly of, what else do you expect? If the player sucks there's going to be negativity, that's given.

22. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never seen us play an open cup game, have you.

23. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did we use a trialist (i.e. someone in purely for evaluation) in an open cup match?

24. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was speaking figuratively... We have trotted out some marginal players (Joe Germanese, Kyle Helton, Rob Valentino...

25. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say "almost exclusively marginal players," but that kind of describes our roster in general, so it would be redundant.