More practice stuff

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by 3rd Degree, Oct 7, 2003.

1. JEBREB

JEBREB New Member

Aug 3, 2001
    Re: Re: Countess vs Cassar

Not that it matters at all-- but actually after a little research I was wrong. Jeff starting playing at 5 and DJ at 11, so make that 15 years longer.

JB

2. ej_dad

ej_dad New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Flower Mound, TX
    I agree that DJ is the future keeper for Dallas. He has the physical skills and will aquire the experiance. He will be one of the best keepers in the MLS with more experance.

The biggest problem with the team this year is defensive organization and Collin maybe trying to fix that (best he can with what he's got). He may feel that Cassar can help in the aspect more than DJ can right now.

Although I don't have any numbers, I would say that by far the majority of goals scored against Dallas were defensive problems, not the keepers fault. If fact I can only remember two or three goals this year that could be attributed directly to a goalie's error.

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could brick up the goal mouth and still give up 2 goals per game.

I understand the "Play DJ" arguments - but at some point you need to be concerned for a young keepers mental health and his confidence level. Getting shelled game in / game out may be good experience but it may not make him any better of a keeper.

They should split duties the last couple games and let the chips fall where they may between now and next April.

4. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Goal Keeping

Colin has more experience than that. I think he is very capable of rebuilding the team. He and I have had off-the-record conversations about his plans, and I am impressed by his ideas and thinking. No I can't tell you what he said. When he was 2nd to Jeffries we talked about stuff, but it was always what the Jeffries plan was, now that I am hearing his own ideas and I like what I hear.

But I too doubt that he will get it. New GM's like to have their own man. I do think he will be a legit candidate, but I would not put money on him getting the job.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think the fact that Cassar, by virtue of his experience, is better at organizing the D is even more reason to play the kid.

If DJ needs to get better organizing and being more vocal, let him go out there and learn.

I mean, really, what is there to lose? Nothing.

What is their to gan? DJ gets more experience and that makes him a better GK next year, when you want him to be better as the team rebounds.

I just don't get it, but, I'm looking at the situation from afar. (And Jebred, I know you agree with me, so you don't need to chime in here!)

6. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colin Clarke
    ---------------------
    USSF "A" liscence
    FA (British) coaching badge
    Head Coach: San Diego Flash 16-9-3, 2nd in Pacific
    Head Coach: Richmond Kickers 38-18 over 2 years, with 2 playoff appearences.
    other ast coach jobs...

Playing:
    38 Northern Ireland caps - 13 goals (1 in WC 86)
    played with Portsmouth, Southhampton, and QPR
    361 league matches, 146 goals, over 12 year career

7. JEBREB

JEBREB New Member

Aug 3, 2001

OK I won't!!!
    jb

8. JEBREB

JEBREB New Member

Aug 3, 2001
    Actually I think that not being sure of your status screws with your mental health more than the shelling. Keepers know which goals are their fault and which are the fault of the defense and as stated on this board most are the fault of the defense. My guess is that losing has less impact than sitting...........especially on this team.

9. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

Northside said it when you have to be concerned about a young keeper's confidence. Seeing DJ's face on TV after being hung out to dry as he has been so many times this year was a painful sight. It seriously looked like he was about to cry. The keepers aren't the issue, we've got two very capable ones. Its the absolutely horrendous defending that has gone on in front of them. These guys are supposed to be professionals, but they are making mistakes you don't see high school players make. Simple things like man marking and clearing a ball are things our defense has struggled with all year. Part of the blame has to go to the coaching staff who albeit is short of options in the back, didn't/has not dropped players in the back who weren't performing. No offense to Colin Clarke, but the one thing that is going to right this ship is completely blowing up the team, starting with the coaching staff and defense.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    You guys still worried about DJ's confidence?

11. JEBREB

JEBREB New Member

Aug 3, 2001
    I think I said mental health.......DJ has never lacked confidence once the game starts. I really thought that he would not play.....however what is that, four straight blocked PKs???

12. goal123

goal123 New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Check these stats out! DJ has blocked 4 Penalty kicks in a row. There have been only 10 PK saves this season (YTD) No one has two blocks, let alone two or three or four in a row!!! Does anyone know if this is a new record in MLS or overseas?