More Portuguese Soccer Games on GolTV

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by bnrnortel, Jun 30, 2005.

1. bnrnortel

bnrnortel Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Got From another site... :eek: But still find it very important to us!!! :D
    So won't take the credit but will take the reps... :D

I don't know if I am allowed tto post this here but I'm gonna post it anyway.
    I recently started a petiton trying to influence GolTV to play some Portuguese Soccer games on GolTV.

Below is a link taking you directly to the petition. Please sign it if you would like to get more Portuguese Soccer Games on GolTV.

Once again I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but I figured it should be here because it is Brazilian/Portuguese related.

Thank You to everyone in advance that has signed the petition.

http://gopetition.com/online/6652.html

2. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would love to sign this petition, but there is a sticking point here - TV rights for the SL are owned in the US by SPT. The rights in Canada are owned by FPTV. FPTV sub-licenses the matches to Bell ExpressVu as a season package. They also show a select match live and a repeat match on their FPTV channel. While I admire the determination to get more SL TV exposure in the US on a different channel, this isn't going to happen. I hate to be the bearer of bad news... :eek: :(

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Doesnt matter....Sign the petition so for those that live in the states or in Canada that got the Stellite can watch....I did my part...Join in Chicos

4. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Your correct Forca, but SPT own the rights to the games broadcast in Portugal by Sportv. So technically you could buy the English Language rights of the games that are broadcast on TVI which are shown outside of Portugal on RTPi.

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I sign it, and good luck :cool:

6. bnrnortel

bnrnortel Member

Nov 18, 2004

Thank you!

Just a thought though.

Instead of complaining, or indicating how wrong we are, and not to expect nothing because it won't happen.

Why don't we just sign the petition and let our voice be heard. Standing in the corner complaining to yourself isn't resolving anything.

We as a Portuguese community must stand up and be counted.
    We have proven that we are a soccer force to be reckoned with!
    We have proven that we are a volleyball force to be reckoned with!
    We have proven that we are a marathon team to be reckoned with!
    We have proven that we can cycle with the best of them!
    We have proven that we can hold big events just like the rest of the world, and now other countries are taking a look at what we've done! For example Expo 98, Euro 04 and there's still more to come!
    We have proven that we can conquer the world! We needed vatican intervention to divide up the world to make it fair or else we would have had it all.
    We have proven that even though we are a small nation, we travelled the world over and history books have the documented proof.
    We have proven over and over and over and over that even though our country is very small we have a big heart and big vision.

So why don't we just get off our ass and sign the petition and be counted as one of the greats instead of one of the few. :mad:

Wow I need a beer after that! :D

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    forca malta

8. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Malta doesen't have an army do they? ;)

9. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Neither does Canada. ;) j/k

10. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ur somewhat right, the only reason we have an Army, is so that everytime the states goes to war, we send our Canadian troops down south to take care of their house's, eg. Cut the lawn, water the plants etc...etc.. :cool:

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    we up to 40, we could use a couple more guys :rolleyes:

12. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Alright, but only after u twisted my wrist pretty hard Frank ;)

13. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    :rolleyes:

I will sign this petition - I have no problem with that. What I am saying is that this is all about dollars and cents. SPT will not allow another carrier to broadcast these matches. They have paid big bucks to acquire these rights and its exclusivity, so they won't be pawning them off to a rival channel with a bigger viewership. It doesn't make business sense. Besides, why would you want to see the games on GOL TV anyways? You go on ranting and raving about Portugal this and Portuguese that...do you not realize that SPT is a Portuguese-only channel dedicated to the American Portuguese community? A channel for the Portuguese community is bringing you these games every week! FPTV does the same here in Canada, albeit on a different scale. I don't understand the fixation of GOL TV acquiring these rights. Besides, I'm in Canada - I can't even get GOL TV - legally or illegally (at the moment ;) ). What's your motivation?

14. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    It is about the time. Portuguese soccer has some credit

15. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    know we should send the same petion to Fox soccer channel, will be nice if they had a highlight show, with 1/2 hour of the best game of the week and the other 1/2 hour of all of the other teams

16. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Incorrect Forca, i got Gol Tv and its working albeit in Spanish :cool:

17. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's a great idea Frank, were not asking for much, just give us a half hour filled with highlights :)

18. bnrnortel

bnrnortel Member

Nov 18, 2004
    I agree, but maybe they can sell some of the rigths.
    Maybe I should be a little bit embarrassed by the comments you said, and you are right. But lets get a couple of things clear here.

I live in Canada... So my ranting will be from the Canadian side...

I'm all for supporting these channels if they are providing me a service that seems justified.

Let's clear up a few things first...
    -FPTV is on cable and has very little to do with soccer.
    -SuperLiga is the channel on Bell ExpressVU (satellite company) that broadcasts the games. SuperLiga only broadcasts the games and that is it.

Sounds like to me that they are trying to make a hefty profit from me.
    First I have to order FPTV over my cable system which is about $240/year, never mind that I have to get digital cable $500/year to get FPTV
    and then order SuperLiga off Bell ExpressVu for $256/year and get the basic Bell ExpressVU package which is another $400/year. :eek:

With my Free To Air (FTA) System ($200 one shot deal) and a small circular dish ($40 one shot deal) point it at the EchoStar 6/8 satellite at 110.0°W and watch the channel for free.

You do the math and tell me what appears to be more logical.
    Yes you can get the channel legally because it is a Free To Air channel (FTA). :D

Also, with more games visible on the channel, it will bring up visibility of the SuperLiga around the world. Isn't this what we are ultimately caring about.

19. bnrnortel

bnrnortel Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Now we're starting to think...
    Now we're starting to see the potential...
    Now we're moving in the right direction.

I was watching Sportsnet after the Sporting match, and they indicated that the SuperLiga doesn't get the credit they deserve because they are not visible enough. In the last three years, a Portuguese team has been front and center in major matches. Portuguese players are in the headlines for the right reasons.

So why is the league not getting the respect it deserves? But we're not visible enough???

We must ask, no wait, we must demand to be more visible!!!

20. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    Ahhhhh remember the days when you were englands b*tch lesser of two evils I think :) :D

21. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    One issue that doesn't come up but should be investigated is the following...

Knowing the population that purchases the various channels in order to view Portuguese soccer, including Sportv in Portugal...there seems to be a large revenue stream for the Superliga Clubs...

I would like the league to publish revenue from them selling off the rights to broadcast their games..

My point being...there is a huge immigrant population scattered throughout the world that are hugely loyal to watching Superliga futebol...and I believe this is not fully taken advantage of.

Over the past couple of years each time someone acquires the rights they make it increasingly more difficult to buy them (as a customer)

One year it's available via STP...another year it is available via satelite co. etc....

I just hope that the corruption that sometimes surrounds the Portuguese corporate world is not involved here, because it seems to me that someone is raking in alot of cash...either that are someone needs to take a marketing class...

22. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I doubt that this will happen, but then again, crazier things have happened...

You want my opinion on the TV game? Do this: Get a Bell satellite system. A 3150 system will run you about $99.99. If you sign up for 2 years (a minimum subscription will run you $25/month), you'll get a $30 PPV credit. Bell has the games per season at $269, which translates to $67.50 in 4 installments. I also have about 75% of confirmation that by September or October, FPTV and RTPi will be available to order on Bell, but like I said, it is not 100% confirmed. My guess is that they will package the 2 channels for about $20/month. If you end up getting RTPi by Bell, you won't need to spend dough on a FTA system, but you'll be paying a monthly fee for the convenience of Bell's system - your choice (go FTA). You will not need expensive, crappy cable anymore. So, the math has gotten a little bit better, no? ;)

If you feel the need to have a channel like GOL TV, then so be it, but really, us Canadians cannot complain about a lack of football on TV. I currently have a Bell system, to which I order the SL package a season. I will be getting my RTPi FTA system done by the end of the weekend. I had it via DishNet, but we all know what has happened :eek: I watch a sh!tload of soccer a weekend, so I cannot complain.

Using a FTA receiver to get a FTA channel is one thing, but using a FTA receiver to get other channels is something else. GOL TV on AMC 1 is not RTPi on AMC 4, catch my drift? You and I and everyone else in this thread knows what I mean...

True, but a more realistic opportunity would be to inundate SportsNet with e-mails and demand them to show more SL highlights. It is unrealistic to expect to have a company actually obtain full rights to something that they cannot sustain a healthy viewership. I don't mean to be negative on the whole thing, but you need to understand these things on a business perspective, not with the heart...

23. ERA_Verde

ERA_Verde New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    New Jersey
  24. bnrnortel

bnrnortel Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Now we're starting to think things through. See how this discussion has lead to us to request that there by a SuperLiga highlight show, or more highlights on the sports channels.

But if we don't speak up, nothing will be done. So if everyone wants to go out and do the Sportsnet or TSN thing, lets get to it.

Let's just do something or many things. We need sto stand up and be counted.

PS. GOL TV is FTA on the 110 (legally).

Cheers

25. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Uh, 110 degrees west is a DishNet satellite. DisNet is a satellite company that charges customers for viewership...it is not able to be viewed on a FTA format without your receiver being, well, re-jigged, let's say...

Cheers :cool: