More news on a Drew Carey expansion

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Arrozito, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Arrozito

Arrozito New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    SC
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drew Carey is the Man!

3. EconBallar

EconBallar New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Wow.... that's really interesting. Best of luck Cleveland! I hope you guys like Buzz Beer!

4. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I thought the World Cup was a little more than just another soccer tournament.

I enjoyed his show, and even saw him at a distance in Kaiserslautern. He would be a great owner.

5. MannyMayhem

MannyMayhem New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Studio City, CA
    wow. that would be great to have an owner who really really loves the game and would no doubt do everything possible to promote it.
    It also doesn't hurt to have someone with celebrity status to put his face on the league. It's worked with Becks so far. ;)

6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Carey and his partner can well afford to pony up for a $30 million MLS team.

I really don't think they have the kind of gelt required to put up a $150 million soccer stadium.

Cleveland has a guy with more money than either one of them ever dream of having who is anxious, even eager, to buy in to MLS, but the locals refuse to cooperate in any meaningful way in putting up a building.

Until that happens, nobody ain't puttin nothin in Cleveberg.

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    When's the next opportunity for this sin tax to go on a ballot?

And when that gets defeated, do you suppose WSEG will build anyway, without a roof and some of the super-fantastic awesomeness they have planned?

I mean, hey, they finally appeased that massive douchebag Beuscher or whatever his name is.

8. zidja

zidja Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Drew Carey expansion? Was he seen at the Old Country Buffet or something?

(reads link)
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I see. An MLS expansion sponsored by Drew Carey

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i seem to be having difficulty finding anything in that article pertaining to a possible expansion team. other than talking about a 'soccer tournament' and scheduling tapings of his show around galaxy home matches, this article focuses on his new gameshow.

i know he's a huge fan of the sport, but this would seem to be pure speculation at best.

10. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Second-to-last line of the article:

Call all your friends and family, especially if they live in Cleveland: watch this show. ;)

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dayum. Drew Carey and Michael Davies. I absolutely loved Davies coverage of '02 on ESPN. It was hilarious. And the two of them have produced some shows that have made some money, so they have a business sense of some sort.

Not that I'm personally going to do anything to improve the ratings for the Price is Right.

But here's hoping things go well for them.

12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still doesn't mean an expansion announcement in cleveland (or wherever) with drew carey, as one of the owners, is imminent.

13. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Well, duh. ;) You're right: it does not mean an expansion announcement is imminent. You asked what line in the article pertains to a "possible expansion team" and I cited it for you.

David Bauder, the author of the article says that if Power of 10 is a big hit, Drew and Davies WOULD buy a soccer team. Note that Bauder uses the phrase "would buy," instead of "may buy." It's possible that they would be interested in buying an expansion team. Or perhaps they would prefer buying an existing team which they would re-brand with the referenced agreed-upon name. Or a third likely possibility is that Drew and Davies were just joking about buying a soccer team and Bauder thought they were serious.

Just more speculation for the expansion boards. Isn't this fun?

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    technically, i didn't ask for anything ... not one single question mark in my first post in this thread. :p

and for all we know he'd go and buy a USL team. don't get me wrong, it'd be great for the league to have a well-known celebrity own a team, especially one who has a true passion for the sport.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    Expect an announcement within 90 days ...

:p

16. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005
    I haven't watched network television in years and i've always hated game shows,but i plan on watching both programs.It's the least i can do to show my appreciation for Drew Carey's support of MLS,USMNT and soccer in general in this country, regardless of weather he invests in a Cleveland expansion team or not.

17. nwufooty

nwufooty Member

May 18, 2004
    don't bet on cleveland. rumor had Carey spotted in another city that already has a soccer specific stadium. just what I heard from someone in the soccer circle.......

18. goyoureddevils

Dec 17, 2002
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Spotted in another city with a soccer specific stadium.... getting ideas for building his own maybe???? One can only hope so, I saw the US v Venezuala game last year at Browns stadium and I have to admit, it was one of the best organized venues I have ever been too.

As for the long odds on it happening, I bet alot of Pittsburghians said Cleveland couldn't set their river on fire either :eek:

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The ********ing y'inzers wouldn't know what fire is. They haven't discovered it yet.

20. jagoffski

jagoffski Member

Jul 22, 2007
    so your are going to watch network T.V. and game shows ......because Drew Carey mentioned MLS???? AHH.... Whoaaa OK!!!

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Hey Archer,

Reekin' Urinal's got a story about the sin tax thing (looks to be an editorial). The comment thread has begun and it has the makings of great fun, though it's a tad slower than I thought it would be.

Just a heads up.

Hier.

22. EconBallar

EconBallar New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Maybe he'll say a little bit more on the Late Late Show tonight.

23. Arrozito

Arrozito New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    SC
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing new from Carey's interview on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. Some soccer talk about LA but not much else.

I agree the article I posted wasn't the best-especially referring to the World Cup as some soccer tournament with one sentence about buying a team.

24. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005
    No.I'm going to watch two shows hosted by Drew Carey because of his great support of soccer and MLS for the last 5 years.It's not like the guy just mentioned MLS this morning and i jump in.I would still watch them if they were on the Oxygen or Lifetime networks.If you can't see the difference,then you're a major league moron.

25. TalkMLS

TalkMLS New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Buffalo, NY area
    I think in the end that it's great that a guy like Drew Carey supports Major League Soccer and Soccer in general, this is good for the sport and if he wants to get involved more then just a fan, thats a cherry on top.