More Kornheiser Magic!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by jeffresistor, Nov 18, 2004.

1. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    See [post=3614904]post[/post] above. Now if we write the letters to the sponsors instead of the stations...

Thx,

Jay!

2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    He's just doing it for a reaction.

If you don't like it, turn it off.

The only difference you can make is ratings.

If people here write letters and call in, then he knows he is getting the exact response he wants and will continue to do it.

3. Conagher

Conagher Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Somebody actually listens to Kornholer?

The guy's just a publicity whore who says the most outrageous things or picks on easy targets just to get noticed. It's not even worth the effort to write to him or his editor and it's probably counter-productive since it feeds his ego. He probably gets off on the fact that he gets so much hate mail. He's demented and watching five minutes of him on that worthless show PTI is more than enough to show that he's about as sharp as a bowling ball.

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I mean we should write letters to ESPN and look at the big picture, rather than the opinion columnists. I don't care about PTI. I think boycotts are not the answer, because a lot of the companies that advertise on ESPN probably also advertise on soccer games. Just look at Miller, who had an anti-soccer ad recently but at the same time sponsers the game in the Mexican league (I think. Somebody wrote on here they got that kind of response from them.).

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Yes, I get it. That's what I meant when I wrote this:

He actually came out and said that's the only time he will talk about soccer: to make fun of it.

Thx,

Jay!

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    OK, I was just adding on to your post.

7. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I found that odd also. Usually they will at least mention MLS cup. i wonder what that was all about?

8. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    My New Year's resolution is to not get rattled up by these clowns anymore.

From now on I will appreciate the people who do go all out to cover the team more. From Goff to Diceson, from the News Channel 8 crew in section 134 during the Revs game, to Tim Brant covering the RFK celebration. Thumbs up to Dave Johnson of Comcast and WTOP and props to the Spanish radio crew who were at the Stadium Tuesday reporting on the festivities. I wish I could remember their names but their enthusiasm was awesome! Next time you see the people covering the team at the stadium, take a second and thank them for their coverage. I spoke with Tim Brant Tuesday and he was pretty pumped up for this celebration, saying it was good for the city and ultimately it could get them a new stadium. Also we are blessed to have enormous fan support groups in the SE's, Barra and LN. Give them props as well for their efforts.

Let Pollin, Czaban and the rest of the cast at the so called "Washington's Sports Talk Leader" continue to cover the town's losing franchises and they can laugh all they want at us. Screw them and their crappy attitude toward United. I won't let them ruin the fun I (and everyone else) have had watching this teams playoff run this past season or past seasons triumphs.

9. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    You're going to boycott a show because one of the participants criticized MLS in a different medium? Surely, your idea will earn MLS great press.

If you're that desperate for something to do, try watching some college basketball this winter. The Terps have a good squad this year. Or, try watching some European soccer. Rumor has it there are some good players overseas.

10. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What don't you understand about "I paid to see this Adu kid & he barely played. What a rip."?

Do you think if the guy who coached the Cavs last year refused to play Lebron James he would last more than a couple of games?

NO!!!

That is the point of view Mr. Tony & some non-soccer fans are going to have.

----

I think people here are taking Kornheiser way too seriously.

It is not the same as Frank Deford or someone else taking a serious tone & ripping Soccer. (Although the over reaction to that kind of stuff around here is just as bad.)

Tony is the court jester of Sports Columnists.

Also the idea that he only picks on DC United is beyond absurd.

He has been so kind to the Capitals, Mystics, "Les Boulez", Dan Snyder, the Bolivian Olympic team, etc. over the years.

:rolleyes:

11. eurojack

eurojack Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Tough crap. Unfortunately Freddy is not ready to start. Blame the MLS or DC United for marketing him so much. Nowak did the right thing. If anything was quesitionable at all, it was the fact that he DID play Freddy in almost every game, even when he was playing uneffectively and forcing our top scorer, Esky, to have to sit and watch.

No comparison whatsoever. The Cleveland Cavs coach played Lebron James because he was one of the best players in the league and was averaging more than 20 points a game.

Freddy on the other hand was hardly ready to play in the beginning of the season. Even so, Nowak gave him playing time in every game.

12. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    cheap hack sports writers

Who is this kornhole guy? Isn't he that bald dude on that show? With the other bald dude? Didn't one of them coach a junior college sport once? Water polo or something?

Really, any response will just tell him he's doing a really good job at being a d1ck. I'd rather wonder aloud what sports experience does he have at.....anything? Him and that guy that said jason kidd's wife should be slapped should be forced to be permanent guest on the maury povich show. During sweeps. When M-boogie has all the over wieght, transgender, alien abductee guests. "Cause isn't PTI basically the same thing? loud mostly false raunch? By unqualified attention ho's? water off a ducks back.

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: cheap hack sports writers

Exhibit A that the season needs to start soon.

Seriously, isn't there something more useful to do than complain about a guy complainig about the team when he complains about EVERYTHING.

Who cares what Tony Kornheiser thinks. I don't want Tony Kornheiser to approve my choices. I don't want people who need to take a cue from Tony Kornheiser to approve my choices. When soccer fans stop being so damn think-skinned, maybe people like Tony won't play the schoolyard bully.

14. Conagher

Conagher Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Re: cheap hack sports writers

Amen. Don't give him the satisfaction.

15. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    I understand your point, and agree that it's best not to feed his rants directly. But I think it's very different to express your view to his editor. I work with editors at a lot of papers. That's been my business for 16 years now. They do care what their columnists and reporters are writing and how their audience receives said writer. You say nothing to an editor and nothing will change. I disagree that Post editors join the jackass in getting off when readers are pissed. It just doesn't work that way, at least not in my humble experience.

16. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may be an idiot, but he's got a good point.

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Wow, this thread is still going on after 8 pages? Why cares what Kornheiser thinks?

18. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, no sh!t. People who watch/listen/read Kornhole and Wilbone for sports are probably the same people who watch "crossfire" for news. Neither are journalists - they're entertainers and their shtick is to run off at the mouth. Who cares.

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  20. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
  21. Diablo10

Diablo10 New Member

Like many others, I could give a rats a$$ what Tony thinks! He is just clueless when it comes to football. Great write up from Larry though!