More Iraq-WMD-Terrorism links for the lefties to deny

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ian McCracken, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Jordan: Jaiousi admits meeting with Zarqawi in Baghdad, receiving instructions for attacks

Amman - The main defendant in the case of nine men standing trial for plotting the first chemical attack in the Kingdom, on Wednesday said he met with Abu Mussab Zarqawi in Baghdad to prepare for the alleged attacks.

In a videotape confession screened during the trial at the State Security Court (SSC) yesterday, Azmi Jaiousi said he met with Zarqawi and two other men in Iraq. "Zarqawi told me there would be military operations in Jordan soon and we needed to prepare for them... he gave me around $50,000, weapons, explosive devices and instructions to launch attacks. Our first target was State Prosecutor Mahmoud Obeidat," Jaiousi was quoted as saying in the videotape.

A second target was a General Intelligence Department (GID) officer who had blue eyes and a white Mercedes, he added. Jaiousi said he infiltrated into the Kingdom from Iraq in February 2002, hidden in a truck, and later met up with the rest of the defendants. Jaiousi also reenacted how he bought chemical substances, electric and electronic equipment and lab devices from shops in the downtown area.

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where does it mention Saddam and his cronies were putting up the 50k? Where does it say Saddam and his cronies had any clue Zarqawi was in Baghdad? Or that if they did know, they gave a sh!t or in any other way were involved?

Didn't see any mention of it when I read the article. Hmm...

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    That's great, but Bush has always made de facto links between Saddam and 9/11 to drum up support for war.

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this is a fine state of affairs you've got us into, Ollie.

How do you like this logical syllogism:

Cowboy Dubya rides into Iraq to save us from the supposed Saddam WMD thread.
    In reality, there was no WMD threat under Saddam.

Post-Saddam, we have a WMD threat.

5. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this part:

'"The four decided to tie up the owners of the liquor stores, threaten them with their weapons and destroy their shops," the charge sheet said. On Jan. 2, the four men approached two liquor stores in the capital but could not attack them because of the presence of security patrols in the area, according to the charge sheet. On their third visit to a liquor store, the charge sheet added, the four men were arrested by a security patrol unit that became suspicious of their motives.'

6. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Boy, thank God we removed Saddam, so Zarqawi has no support or base anymore.

"More" links. This one so conclusive, Bush didn't even bring it up during a speech designed to shore up support for the war. I'll file this alongside the Bekaa Valley revelations.

7. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ha, ha, ha, the libs once again demonstrate their inability to put two and two together. Now, they have moved the goalposts to "okay, Zarqawi was in Baghdad before the Iraq War, but where is the proof that Saddam knew or condoned of his actions". You guys are getting ridiculous, seriously. You probably still think OJ was "not guilty".

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The September 11th hijackers did a lot of planning in the US. They took flying lessons in the US.

This just in: US has ties to 9-11 hijackers!

9. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    LOL

McCracken is desperate.

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    You misspelled "I".

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Zarqawi hiding up north, you know in the no-fly zone. You know the area we "protected". So in essence we were protecting him.

Sorry Ian, but you are streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetching with this one and you look silly doing so.

12. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Say, would this be the same Zarqawi that George Bush had the chance to strike against back in 2002, but refused in order to pump up support for the Iraq invasion?

EDIT - Dante beat me to it, damn blast and thunder. Instead, here's some light music.

"Yesterday....all my troubles seemed so far away....now if looks as though they're here to stay....oh, I believe....in yesterday"

13. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Uhh, no, read the article. He was in Baghdad. Before the Iraq War.

Amman - The main defendant in the case of nine men standing trial for plotting the first chemical attack in the Kingdom, on Wednesday said he met with Abu Mussab Zarqawi in Baghdad to prepare for the alleged attacks.

Jaiousi said he infiltrated into the Kingdom from Iraq in February 2002...

14. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you seriously unaware of how rediculous you are making yourself seem here?

Even ITN has made better arguments than this lately.

15. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
  16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he's been his usual self of late, so that's saying a whole lot.

17. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Didn't all but one Democratic Senator agree back in late '02 that Saddam supported terrorists? (ok, that wasn't the exact wording, but something to that effect)

And isn't that why Clinton was lobbing missiles into the desert and/or "WMD" manufacturing plants in Iraq back in 98 or 99?

My memory is fading so correct me if I'm wrong.

18. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Hate to bump my own comment, but I'm wondering what the "lefts" take on the above is.

Or, is it just "there's no connection between Iraq and 9-11"? "We admit there were ties to terrorism"?

And, someone wake me up if the world ends when O'connor resigns. :)

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were all on the Saddam has WMD's bandwagon back then, especially people like Lieberman and Bayh.

Clinton was lobbing missiles into Afghanistan and the Sudan. Remember the whole "aspirin factory" incident.

20. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was funny!!!! :) Boom..and the sky full of pills! :)

21. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    At the time, I figured it was just a bunch of Democrats throwing their collective testicles out the window (well, they didn't have much to begin with, but you know...) for political survival. No, I think it was that Saddam posed a serious threat, not that he had ties to terrorism.

I also quite distinctly remember mocking Powell's PowerPoint at the UN and joking about the "empty warhead" in the White House.
    I thought it was for violating the no-fly zone and to distract attention from Monica, but my memory is fading as well. Such is old age.

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what your own Dick, err Cheney, had to say about Zarqawi

"But let’s look at what we know about Mr. Zarqawi. We know he was running a terrorist camp, training terrorists in Afghanistan prior to 9/11. We know that when we went into Afghanistan that he then migrated to Baghdad. He set up shop in Baghdad where he oversaw the poisons facility up at Khurmal, where the terrorists were developing ricin and other deadly substances to use. We know he’s still in Baghdad today. ... He was in fact in Baghdad before the war and he’s in Baghdad now after the war."

he said this during the vice-presidential debate

So according to your boy Cheney, Zarqawi was NOT in Iraq prior to 9/11. Then after we invaded Afghanistan he moved to Iraq. Notice that your boy specifically states that Zarqawi set up shop in Khurmal. Now just where is Khurmal? Oh that's right, in the no-fly zone.

Just because he met with Zaraqwi in Baghdad doesn't mean he had his base there, Cheney admits that his base was in Khurmal.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Under your rationale, America is a terrorist haven as well, and George Bush is directly responsible.

For as we all know, meetings among terrorists occured on American soil prior to 9/11. And it would be ridiculous, seriously, not to blame George simply because he didn't know of, or condone, those actions.

25. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    I think what he was pointing out is that the terrorist areas were not within the "no-fly-zone", because that zone was specifically north of the 36th parallel, and as you see from the map, the "Islamist Area", around Halabjah, is below that parallel.

However, that area was NOT under the control of Saddam (see on map the limit of Iraqi forces), and those terrorists had specifically set up shop there BECAUSE Saddam was not in control of that area (there being a long history of the terrorist groups actively opposing Saddam, the secularist, especially given their ties to Iran). So, it was more appropriately called "the northern, Kurdish-controlled areas of Iraq", not "the no-fly zone".

The intent was correct, though - the terrorists were in an area not under Saddam's control.