More important? Wearing the same T-shirt or singing loudly for the USA?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by metroflip73, Aug 8, 2005.

1. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    If people gave me the cold shoulder, I'd hope it'd be because they hate DC, not because I wore just any club gear. :D

2. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...or just ridicule you and sing the funny songs they've created over the years mocking [insert club here].

3. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot I did this outside of Vaughan's:

[​IMG]

4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood. But giving the cold shoulder is different from wishing that someone would be somewhere else. Put into personal terms: for a chunk of the match, I was standing next to Thomas Fina. He wasn't wearing a Metros jersey. If he had been, would I have rather that he wasn't? Sure, for the reasons you described. But if he had been, would I have rather that he wasn't at the match? God, no. He was yelling and singing and supporting the team and being a great fan, and that's more important to me -- especially when we need more people who do so.

(I know you said you were done, Mike; but I just wanted to clarify where I stand.)

5. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Euro 2004 was in Portugal. I was there, and there were a TON of club jerseys, but they were generally worn by fans of countries who had not qualified for the finals. Most common were all of the Celtic tops worn by Scottish and Irish fans who were there to (among other things) cheer on Henrik Larsson. For the most part, each nation's fans were a sea of a particular color at each match.

All this club/country crap makes me glad I picked up one of those "District of Columbia" scarves - that way I can represent my hometown without pissing anybody off...and maybe one day I'll bring a needle and thread and stitch it on to the 50 State Flags Flag, so I can stop feeling like the second-class citizen that I am, if only for a day. Come to think of it, how dare they bring that "State vs. District or Territory" sh** to a national team game! Take that crap somewhere else! ;) (I kid, I kid...)

Personally, I don't really have a problem with club gear at national team games, but I respect the convention enough to follow it. For example, upon arriving at the tailgate, I removed my DC United hat and stowed it for the duration, to avoid pissing anybody off...right before those fools suffering from severe MPF came running by with that Metro banner that they just happened to have lying around.

6. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, what a coincidence. We had a Metros banner in our van that we only take to soccer games and 85% of them are Metros games.

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Yeah, I know. I got it confused with Euro 2000. I'm getting old. :)

<Napoleon Dynamite>

Luh-key

</Napoleon Dynamite>

:)

8. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    I'm willing to accept that explanation (not that you should necessarily care, but there it is). Sorry for calling you guys fools. (I'm also sorry you had to lose John Guppy and Nick S. in the same year, but that's another thread.)

I don't even care that you guys ran around with your little banner, since (1) it gave us a chance to sing an anti-Metro song, (2) I knew you guys would be in the stadium giving it your all for the U.S., and (3) you didn't hang it up in the stadium like it was some kind of giant Rochester Raging Rhinos banner (and the only beef I had with that was that it seemed, um, a bit out of place...seriously, how many members of the current MNT play for Rochester? How is it that we've gotten this far in this thread nitpicking about who wore what shirt at the freaking tailgate, and no one has mentioned the fact that there was a giant club banner hanging up inside the stadium? Why am I even mentioning this? Now I have no one but myself to blame for what might ensue.).

9. NE_Tea_Men_'78

NE_Tea_Men_'78 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Central Mass.

Agreed. I have a lot of respect for Rhinos fans, but that banner didn't even mention the USMT. Is there a player who ever played for the Rhinos who earned a cap for the US? (Just curious)

I thought the Metro flag being run around at the tailgate was funny. I mean, when was the last time that you felt intimidated by seing Metro gear? When they had Baggio?

10. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought it was funny, too. I see nothing wrong with a little banter at these things.

11. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, OK , all you guys got me convinced.
    At the next Qualie, everybody just wear their MLS gear.
    That'll settle the red/blue dsipute. ;-)

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Revos third kit from the early years! Sweet! :D

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I guess that means we'll have to bust out the DC United "cat in the hat" jersey. :)

14. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    And I'm busting out the Wzards '96 "Rainbow Jersey". That is a true classic.

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shudder. :eek:

:D

16. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    I can hear the burning wiz jokes now ;)

17. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Well then, I'll bust out my Washington Darts jersey that will be more like a belly shirt, now! :eek:

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No no! Please I beg you! No! :D

19. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok - here's a 'bikini' I could wear to the game:

[​IMG]

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Like this??

[​IMG]

She had the right idea.

21. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you want me in the second option. :D

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

Nancy, I think you under-estimate how much beer we can drink in the tailgate! :D

23. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if I'm there drinking it with you, definitely don't want me in option 2.

24. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow there's been a lot less backlash than I initially anticipated as soon as I turned on ESPN2.

To answer your question; yes, Henry Gutierrez and John Wolyniec. Two future HOFers! ;) And Yari Allnutt played for the '92 Olympic team in Barcelona. We've actually had more players for T&T's national team including the now deceased Micky Trotman who played against the US in Foxboro in 2001.

25. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I knew how old your daughter was, I'd start cracking jokes, but I don't so I won't.

and I've said it before, and I'll say it again, wearing and waving flags is preferable to any all color scheme. (adn of course chanting and singing.). I brought a pretty cheap flag before Guatemala at RFK way back when. (99?). Had it with me to every game ever since.