More important? Wearing the same T-shirt or singing loudly for the USA?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by metroflip73, Aug 8, 2005.

1. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I wasn't there, so I don't know all the details. But I know that security is not going to throw someone out of a section for wearing the "wrong" shirt.

2. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooh, the "Daily Double!" I'll take a shot, Alex:

What is "extremely hard to understand?"

3. micheal

micheal New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portugal. Most of the club jerseys I saw were Figo jerseys. I didn't many English in club gear, but the Portuguese and Croats definately were representing clubs of their national players.

I understand your point. But I don't see the faux pas as intolerable. Although, I won't be wearing my DC United jersey in Sam's Army section, I wouldn't say anything to anyone for doing so.

4. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes and No.

I understand the concept of club neutral.

I am a DCU fan as well. But I don't see red at the mere waving of another AEG franchise shirt. Especially if it is emblazoned with the name and number of a USMNT player. Yes these are teams. But teams of people who may play on both. People want to feel a connection to both the teams and the individual. And people from other areas that may or may not have a MLS team do not share the same ire of other MLS teams that you do.

This is not the UK, Italy or Spain, where any city of any size has some form of pro/semi pro team. We all have the same desire to see the sport grow in terms of participation. But who is to day that the way we support our teams has to be axactly the same way they do it in other countries?

I would like to see the stands full of supporters. If a guy is wearing a Fire shirt, I honestly would not jump to the conclusion that this is someone I don't want to have a beer with. In fact, after the Columbus game in DC this year, I remember quite a few of my DCU bretheren not having any trouble sharing a pint with Fid and a few other Crewzers that showed up. Not a NATs game I know but speaks to the low level of emnity btw mls fans.

5. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dodn't think SECURITY asked him to leave :rolleyes:

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Whoops, that's right. 2000 was Belgium/Netherlands.

The biggest difference is that you're going to find the most hard core and passionate fans in the Sam's Army section. We're already (hopefully) a bunch of nutcases anyway. ;)

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I've partied with a whole lot of fans of other MLS clubs all over the country. I know a lot of them personally. The point I'm trying to make is that Sam's Army should show a unified support of the national team, not individual support of any single MLS club.

They didn't ASK him to leave. I'm pretty sure they ordered him to leave. Oh, and it wasn't just the section, which I wrote above. He got kicked out of the game.

8. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    It was the Connecticut State Police, and yeah, they threatened to put me in cuffs. :D

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Damn! That sucks. Those New England state cops can be a$$holes. Tomorrow make sure to remind me to tell you about what happened to a few folks in the parking lot at MLS Cup '99 in Foxboro.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God that's just bad memories. :eek:

11. micheal

micheal New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I am. Go USA!

12. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    This Sam's Army attitude is so fvcking hypocritcal considering its half of these a-holes that wear ANY Club ******** to MLS games (even during the games) and yet are not be judged on the same level.

Why is it cool for some dickhead to wear a Man U/Celtic jersey all game during an MLS match and not get ridiculed yet some fan that wears a club shirt (even better... a supporters club shirt he is actually proud of!!!) PRE-NATIONAL TEAM Game is given grief.

I love the US and I love our national team, but reading the idiotic uniform posts and the hypocrisy involved in them makes me glad I only have to REALLY put up with the majority of US fans every four years.

The argument isnt CLUB over country anyway, its supporters club versus supporters club PRE GAME and frankly I will take the Barra Brava AND Screaming Eagles over Sam's Army any day (They BOTH unofficially SUPPORTthe National team as well)....

World Cup or not I want nothing to do with Sam's "Army" :D

13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Mike,

I guess a better example rather than Metro Jersey which is a competitor. How do you feel about Lee wearing a Nottingham jersey in the barra? I am happy that he comes supports the team and I don't feel that he cheers/sings any less because he's a Forest fan. I can't comment on the England/club question since I don't know. DCU (and all of the other MLS teams) and USMNT are not competitors. That being said - in SA, I believe for me wearing red shows unity.

When does the event begin? I guess that I mistakenly thought it happened in the stadium. As a fat guy, I know that I'll sweat through a T-shirt at a tailgate - so I don't put on my game shirt until right before the game. If my wearing a red collared shirt with a small DCU logo at the pre-game pub is offending people, I apologize and I'll wear another red shirt. My intention is not to offend, but to wear a soccer-related shirt (red) and provide folks who may want to talk DCU. For example, there was a guy with the Korea Reds shirt - that I wanted (never got over there) to talk to about his experience in Korea.

Let me ask another question, was anyone offended from the guys wearing the Rochester Rhinos scarves? I thought it looked pretty cool how they had them tied and gave me an opening for a topic to discuss with them. If you were not offended, was it because they're in the A league (or whatever they're called now)? What about USOC competition?

Maybe I'm either dense or naive, but when I'm rooting for the US - I don't really care what you're wearing. For the 1st half, I stood next to a guy in a Guatemala shirt and he was as passionate about the US even though his first love is Guatemala (USA second). Now, if we were playing Guat - I may have thrown him at the GK :).

<Standing on Soap box>
    The goal is to support the USMNT. The SA section provides a venue where we have an opportunity to create a favorable atmosphere for the team. To build the most effective USMNT supporters group, we must tolerate our differences, banish divisiness and build a community. For example, cursing may not be acceptable in the Cauldron (sorry if this is a bad example). Whereas, it's commonplace in the Barra. If you don't like a particular chant or language, don't participate. (note. I hope this isn't being perceived as acceptance of racist chants - kudos Rishi!).

SA is not Barra, S8, Cauldron, ESC, etc. on the road. It's a different collaboration.

There are too few passionate US supporters - we can't afford to be exclusionary. I am passionate about the USMNT and I hope others are as well. We need to stick together. SA is going to continue to evolve - I hope that it continues to grow and become more effective in supporting USMNT.
    </Stepping off Soap Box>

In Cbus, as a sign of my support, I'll wear my US Flag thong :eek:.

14. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like that one Hustler cover from 1976? WOOOOOOOOOOOO

15. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said it was cool to rock a non-MLS club jersey at an MLS game?

16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Owen, that's fine. As far as I know, no one is forced to get tickets in Sam's Army sections nor forced to come to Sam's Army tailgates.

17. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    They are if they want to sing in the stadium without people getting pissed off at them.

This was the problem I faced.

18. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I commented on that earlier in the thread. Forest does not compete against DC United.

Actually, I was talking about wearing MLS club jerseys. But even then, I doubt that I personally would wear any DC United gear to USMNT events, no matter how small the logo.

Wait a second, there are Rhinos fans? :)

You would've probably had to wait in line to throw him at the keeper. :)

Ageed that there aren't enough passionate fans. But I really don't think it's too much to ask to put aside club for a day to support the USMNT.

Cool! I'm holding you to that.

19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Huh?

20. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Wow. Just...wow.

I just don't understand some of you guys. Let me ask a couple questions, and I'll assume some answers. If you disagree, by all means let me know.

Why is there a Sam's Army? To give vocal and visible support to the USMNT.
    Do any of you know the players? I do.
    Do you think those players would give a flying f*** what jersey/shirt ONE guy out of 25,000 wore to a WCQ? NO! They are inspired that 25,000 showed up and that a few hundred stood and cheered for the team all game.

Supporters sections are for THE PLAYERS, not for the fans. If you honestly think the players are going to give a rats ass what someone wears at a tailgate or during the game then you're highly mistaken. They are simply happy that you're there to support them and their cause. And more importantly, your view of the big picture is flawed. I know I won't change some people's mind, but get a clue! It just doesn't matter.

Can't we all just celebtrate the fact that people travel and pay their hard earned dollar to attend these games and support our country? I don't understand the "holier than thou" bullsh!t that some people pull about the meaningless crap. Come on guys, focus on what matters!

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must be missing something. Who's saying otherwise? :confused:

All we're saying, and actually Lastort's doing a better job than I am, is just saying leave the club stuff behind for one day and support the USMNT, not your club ... for that one day. I didn't realize it was such a big deal to do that.

22. micheal

micheal New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most intellegent thing said so far. . . I think. . . I am so confused.

23. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Monty, the point is you're right, it's not a big deal. It's not a big deal either way. It's not a big deal if I show up in a Wizards jersey. It's not a big deal if you show up in a Revs jersey. It's not a big deal if spidergoose shows up in a DCU jersey. You're standing in a section that the players know is for them. They don't look at the colors on an individuals chest. They look at the section and think "Wow, all those people are here for me and my teammates." And they think that is pretty damn cool.
    I would almost guarantee you that every US player would toast any fan for showing up to a game, period. Especially if they traveled from another city, no matter how far away it was. It wouldn't matter what they were wearing. The fact that they traveled a long distance to watch them play would flatter the players because a few of them still remember the days when no one cared.

24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand this argument. Really, I do. And it makes sense.

What I don't understand is getting bent out of shape about it. At Vaughans, I saw a variety of club kits. At the tailgate, I saw several. It wasn't what I would have chosen to wear, but you know what? I had fun and supported the Nats anyway. There are so many really just plain awful things in life to get upset about; I can't imagine getting upset about this.

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I've already said how I feel about this, so this is going to be my last post on this subject.

When push comes to shove, I don't really give a sh!t what people wear. But if you do show up wearing an MLS club jersey, don't be too surprised if some US fans who support different MLS clubs give you the cold shoulder.