More fun with Frrrrrrresh Air!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Michael K., Oct 9, 2003.

1. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for starting the new thread, but this really has absolutely nothing to do with Bill O'Reilly's interview on Fresh Air the other day, and I didn't want to threadjack there.

I do a little bit of volunteer work here at my local NPR station <blatant plug>I'll be doing the PSAs and breaks from 2-3 pm today on WOUB AM, @ www.woub.org ;)</blatant plug>, and was idly listening to Fresh Air while working the board last week. What I heard was absolutely amazing - so incredible I didn't quite believe it at first - however commondreams.org (apologies to those on the right side of the aisle, who'll have to have their computers fumigated after hitting that site) has now confirmed that, to paraphrase Bushwick Bill and the Geto Boys, my mind wasn't playing tricks on me.

This is unbelievable stuff.

Listen here as Creepy Grover Nordquist Godwins an entire segment of Fresh Air by revealing the ideological link between estate taxation and the Holocaust(!)

BTW the CommonDreams link is here.

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    What's NPR? Do they play music?

3. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    NPR - National Pentagon Radio. Cokie Roberts is a stenographer for the White House.

4. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    That is a stunning transcript. 70% of America is against estate tax? I doubt it.

5. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The number was around 60% in favor of eliminating the estate tax in 2001.

6. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always knew Michael K. was a GOP tool...

7. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Which is still not 70%

I couldn't find any poll numbers on the estate tax to confirm or refute Norquist's assertion.

8. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Until someone can prove otherwise I would continue to refute anything coming from the mouth of a person who compares the estate tax with the Holocaust.

9. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    can we focus not on the 70% as an outrageous claim and instead notice the quote: the government comes after you die and figures out how much money you have -- "how much gold you have in your mouth " -- and takes half.

10. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    That's downright offensive.

11. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Why not take half. They already take 33% out of my paycheck and I'm not even dead yet. He acts like the gov't doesn't already know how much you make...if you pay taxes, they know.

I'm not goingt to cry for someone because the gov't takes half of their Cayman account after their dead.

12. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    To people with bad teeth? If you have enough money to qualify for the estate tax are you really going to have gold caps or crowns?

13. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    It's in line with equating it with the Holocaust - the Nazis used to remove gold fillings from dead Jews.

14. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Sorry, my concentration in undergrad was African History. That is very *#*#*#*#ing offensive.

15. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    You're making the false assumption that the government only takes cash. It's called an estate tax for a reason. It's a tax on the entire estate.

And it's wildly unpopular, even with people who wouldn't benefit from its repeal.

16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The scariest thing he said, aside from his moral comparison, was early on when he said (and I paraphrase): You say we, including the government, I say they.

Really, the notion of policymakers promoting this concept that government is somehow this foreign entity that people should be afraid of, instead of a body we all make up, is rather disturbing.

17. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Except for the first one-point-something million. A vast vast majority of Americans will never ever ever pay anything in estate tax.

That's because people like Grover Norquist have been remarkably effective in distorting the truth about the estate tax (though I understand they tend to prefer the term "death tax" since it sounds more nefarious).

18. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    When the government takes 33% of my pay, they're taking 33% of my ability to add to my estate. What's the difference? Some people invest in houses, others stash cash under their bed...it's all equity, gained through income.

Do you have a link that backs the assumption that it's unpopular?...I don't think too many Americans even know what the estate tax is.

19. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Right. And most people are aware of this, and still support it's repeal. I don't think death should be a trigger for the government to seize property in any case, regardless of how much money is involved.

And my point was that Richth76 was assuming that it's only money in bank accounts, when it can be a farm or a business with assets numbering in the millions.
    I don't think the truth has been distorted. I think most people are well aware of the nuances of the "death tax". Granted, I don't like Grover's rhetoric, either.

20. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Under current law, the exemption from estate tax is currently $1 million dollars, scheduled to rise to $3.5 million by 2000 and unlimited in 2010. If nothing happens between now and then, in 2011 it will revert to $1 million. This exemption is per person, meaning that a married couple are currently exempt for the first $2 million of their wealth.

98 of 100 people in America never pay any estate tax. In 1997 fewer than 43,000 families paid any estate tax.

21. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I'm glad you mentioned that

http://www.cbpp.org/5-25-00tax.htm

22. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    I suppose you're thererfore in favor of imposing an income tax on people who inherit property?

23. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Any frickin person with a new worth of over $2M should be able to find a decent estate lawyer to help him transfer most or all of his worth to his/her heirs pretty much tax free.

And if they're too stupid to do that, they deserve to lose the whole frickin lot of it.

24. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That's super and all, but I don't approve of something simply because it doesn't affect that many people. Hell, it doesn't even affect me. It's still wrong.