More fans for the women?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Femfa, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    In the LA Weekly, a writer (and soccer fan) attempts to see what his NFL fan friends will think of women's soccer.

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/03/45/a.php

Which made me wonder, since the author became a fan in the last WWC, how many new fans can the sport pick up? Will they help revive WUSA? Will they become MLS fans - this guy actually slams the MNT - instead?

Thoughts?

2. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Here's the paragraph where he kinda digs at the men's team - in case you didn't want to bother reading the article:

The women’s national soccer team also happens to be one of the best teams in the history of international sports. Their record speaks for itself, but watching them play in person a few weeks ago at the fantastic Home Depot Center in Carson (site of the Women’s World Cup finals and third-place match on October 11 and 12), I got a taste of just how creative and daring they really are. Our pitiable men’s national soccer team should be made to watch every game for homework.

While I don't agree that our men are pitiful - it's nice to see a guy take a stand in admiration for the ladies, who are quite accomplished. Props to Joe Donelley!

3. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    There is no need to put the men's team down to highlight the accomplishments of the women's team. The discussion between the 2 teams has been belabored on these boards countless times.

Reviewing the WWC program, I found it surprising that the USWNT has only lost 1 game (Norway 1-0 in 95) in all of the WWC. They have only tied 2 games (China 3-3 in 95 and China 0-0 in 99 - which they won in PKs). That record is amazing!

4. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    So Donelly is amazed when our player kicks the ball into touch so an opposing player can recover? I know our gals are good, but I didn't ralize they re-invented the wheel.

If this guy knew anything about soccer -- or had even watched a few matches before this Cup -- he wouldn't resort to the lazy writer's out of cut-and-paste 'received wisdom' -- calling the MNT pitiful. I don't mind people being stupid, but I do resent when they are paid to be stupid in public.

5. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    "Pitiful" isn't being a quarterfinalist, being ninth or 10th in the world, and beating the likes of Germany, Brazil, England, Argentina, and Mexico the last 10 years.

Those footsteps that the soccer nations are hearing? It's us.

6. Perugina

Perugina Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Grand Rapids MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would be amazed...

at the number of people I've met in stadiums around the country that say they got hooked on soccer during the women's or men's world cup. They then went on to be season ticket holders to whatever pro soccer team they have in their city.

7. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That writer was an ignorant moron who knows absoulutely nothing about soccer. I love the women's national team, but they are tactically naive when compared to the men. Even here in the US. I fully realize it's because the women's international and professional game is still in it's infancy.

8. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Exactly.

9. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    You people are idiots. Somebody rips soccer and you get pissed, now someone writes an article complimenting soccer and you get pissed. Yes he is not an expert, but he watches and he writes about it...and he loves it! I thought his choice of words about the men's team was poor but, as a huge fan of the USAMNT (about to order a JOB jersey in a couple of minutes) I have to admit that compared to what the women have done the men don't compare. Now bear with me before you go nuts. How many players on the mens team would you put on your World XI? How many on the womens? To me he is looking at this comparing the teams to the rest of the world, in which case the men pale in comparison to the women. How about we try to be happy about some good exposure for the game, enjoy all the games we get to see on tv (I believe it will be something like four or five today)!

10. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:rolleyes: If you honestly can't see the difference in "degree of difficulty" betwen the WC and the WWC then your knowledge of international soccer is very limited. It appears you're just as misinformed as the author of the above article. Perhaps even the author? If someone wants to put forth an ignorant uninformed opinon I'm going to call them on it.

11. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I agree with Crazy_Yank.