More Eriksson Speculation

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by houstonblues, Oct 9, 2003.

1. houstonblues

houstonblues New Member

Aug 1, 1999
    Houston, TX, USA
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2003470505,00.html

According to this article in The Sun Sven has signed a pre-contract with Chelsea and could quit as England gaffer as early as after the Turkey match.

I can't imagine with Chelsea unbeaten and on the verge of leading the Premier League that this will happen. I really wish Sven would just go away and don't think he would be a good coach for Chelsea anyway.

2. MozCFC

MozCFC New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Hampshire
    Agreed

Its just tabloid garbage...hopefully Roman got the message when most of the ground was singin " weee don't need Erikson, we dont need Erikson" at both the last 2 home games against villa and besikats.

..if we take 4 points from the next 2 games we will be top of the league for a long while !! credit Ranieri.

3. OsgoodWasGod

OsgoodWasGod New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Kent, England
    The problem is that I doubt whether our concerns matter to RA at all. WE don't own this club and Sven seems to be someone with whom Abramovitch himsel can 'do business'.

I'm really worried that Chelsea could turn into a circus before our very eyes and who knows - horror of horrors - with a new Ring-Master in place we could even see one of his favorite acts leaving Madrid to appear in the all-new, spectacular, 'Sven & Nancy' show at Stamford Bridge...

4. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    If he is leaving England squad, it'd be to replace Houllier at Pool. Just think for a sec,

1. Houllier's time is almost up, bad results and all.
    2. SGE just adores Owen, Heskey and Gerrard .... therefore he wouldn't mind coaching them again.
    3. He loves hoofing footie and oddball tactics preferred over at Pool.

Coincidences? You be the judge :eek:)

5. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I want to hear a straight and complete denial from him though, not his "manager".

Can't say i would be pleased if he took over-good point there by Osgoodwasgood, and welcome to the boards lads.

Funny thing is i could see us doing quite well under Eriksson, but, it would be ala the 'pool style of play that saw them reach 2nd place a year or so ago.

Big toe and away we go would be the order of the day from everyone on the field.

Would Abramovich be happy with winning trophies, yet, having his big names playing first division tactics?

Or would he prefer the sublime football that his millions continually give chance glimpses of, yet surely will be a staple week in week out when Ranieri nails down a finite team?

6. OsgoodWasGod

OsgoodWasGod New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Kent, England
    Peter Osgood

Thanks Clanblue - great site!

Just a small point though - as a true-blue I'm sure that you would acknowledge that Osgood wasn't simply good - to the many thousands of us that stood and called out his name from the Shed and the North Stand in the late sixties and early seventies - Osgood was GOD!!!

7. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    Well, I hated Ranieri for a year, so its probably good that I've built up a great deal of animosity towards Eriksson already. He should have just gotten ticked off at whoever asked him the question. Example:

"Look, my team - ENGLAND - is trying to qualify for a very important tournament. I am the ENGLAND coach, and I will remain the England coach. This job is all I think about, so there is no truth to any Chelsea rumors. So, lets focus on England."

Of course, thats sort of what you would expect Ranieri to say.

8. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Re: Peter Osgood

Aye, you wont get a disagreement from me on that one.
    He was a tad before my time though as i was born in '64 and wasn't a regular untill the late '70s.
    When he came back from the states he was a poor shadow really wasn't he?When he left that was the begining of the end of a great period in Chels history.
    The idol of my day was Kerry Dixon.

I was a regular in the norf stand for 12 years-started out at the bottom on the wooden benches as a nipper ;)

Spent some time in the shed-though not much-when i hooked up with my battersea mates.When you were that young and small the view from there was abysmal to say the least.

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Seba

All this speculation really boils down to Seba. First with Sampdoria, and then Lazio, Eriksson turned Veron into one of the greatest midfielders of the game. After Eriksson left........Veron hasn't quite been the same. I think that's the biggest reason to want Eriksson at Chelsea.

Also, at Lazio Eriksson's teams had a reputation for going forward, despite having Nesta at the back - that midfield of Nedved, Veron, Conceicao and Simeone was phenomenal. I think the reason that Eriksson plays the tactics he does is that the players are used to it, and he doesn't feel he has true wingers or a real midfield general on the team. Looking at the England squad, I'm not sure I can disagree. If Claudio gets sacked, or just tired of the endless speculation, I don't think Eriksson will turn Chelsea's firepower into another Liverpool. We have too much speed and ability up front for that.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just an afterthought about this subject.

I was watching us versus Lazio and the announcer said something about them spending £200m on players before they won the league. One of the biggest things about SGE is that he won the Italian league as a manager but, when you think how much money was spent doing it, it doesn't sound quite as impressive does it...

We should stick with Claudio - he got us into the CL with almost no money to spend at all.

11. bmw9983

bmw9983 New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Boston
    Nothing better than hearing the "We don't want Eriksson" chants rain down as we were burying Lazio...

12. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    Couldn't agree more with the fans there! :)

I must reiterate again that Pool deserves him more than we do.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The one I heard was "Ranieiri's Blue Army". Same difference I s'pose...