more criticism of gunes

Discussion in 'Turkey' started by yeniceri, Oct 18, 2003.

1. yeniceri

yeniceri New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    chestnutridge new york
    Some more concerns i have reguarding mr gunes handling of the national team
    I understand the philosophy of fielding the best team, which is why emre always ends up on the left wing unless hasan makes a camio visit to the starting 11. I do not agree with this philosophy as it pertains to this particular case, i know he wants to get players such as basturk and tugay on the field so emre usually gets shifted over to the left. The problem with this is the fact that emre is not a winger and does not adapt very well. Being someone who watches emre at inter week in and week out i've come to realize everthing that makes emre EMRE is in the central midfield. Emre is arguably the best player on the team and i believe in such a case he must be made to play his natural position. The inter coach also tried this adventure with emre on the wing and it just didn't work. He made a statement along the lines of " emres true worth is shown when he plays central attacking midfielder. I'd love to hear comments on this thx

2. gantelo

gantelo New Member

Aug 9, 2003
    Istanbul
    True, he is a better central midfielder. But there are two problems and the first problem, as you have mentioned is to create a place for Yildiray. The second is, who can play in the left wing other than Emre? We dont have a decent left winger and the worst of Emre is still better than most of the guys we can use there.
    It is like Gerrard`s situation in England.
    I think the best solution is to play with a 3-5-2 formation like Besiktas does. We can move Emre to central midfield, use Ibrahim in the left wing where he can show his full capacity and we still can play with both Tugay and Yildiray. Also with that formation we use more midfielders and dont have to depend on Fatih Akyel.

3. yeniceri

yeniceri New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    chestnutridge new york
    I understand the point you made but i think for the time being basturk needs to be sacrificed at this point. I'd also like to point out the fact that since being called up to the national team basturk has not show much he is no where near the same player he is when playing in the german league. Also tugay as we all know is very old so i figure we can ride out the next year with tugay and emre with basturk comming in as a sub waiting for tugay to retire. About the left wing we can either use ergun or ibrahim. And about the 3-5 i wish that were a lineup we could use but i don't believe we have the personel to go with that. Alpay and Bulent are both very old and they aren't exactly pacey players and who would be the third? Knowning gunes i'm thinking he'd use fatih and i cringe thinking about fatih in a 3 man defense with his wanna be roberto carlos runs upfield.
    thanks for the comments

4. molosztash

molosztash New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Istanbul, Turkey
    I agree with you guys, Ibrahim can play in the left, He lacks technical ability, but he is very quick...

I don't want Alpay, Bülent, Tugay, Hakan, Okan (he is a SUB in Inter) in the 11.

5. yeniceri

yeniceri New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    chestnutridge new york
    <I agree with you guys, Ibrahim can play in the <left, He lacks technical ability, but he is very <quick...

<I don't want Alpay, Bülent, Tugay, Hakan, Okan <( he is SUB in Inter) in the 11.

We have people to replace tugay hakan and okan althought many would argue tugay and hakan should never be taken out of the starting 11 at this point but....
    i'm very curious as to who you would replace bulent and alpay with????? servet and umit ozat? maybe ibrahim toroman?

6. gantelo

gantelo New Member

Aug 9, 2003
    Istanbul
    I think we dont have to replace players just because they are old. Turkeys best defender ever is Bulent. Yes, he is old but as long as he plays like this, we should go with him. Trapattoni still calling Maldini for the national team and they have many defenders who can play instead of him. he is old but the coach prefers the better one.
    Other than Bulent, Ibrahim Toraman, Servet and Fatih Sonkaya are ready to play in the less important games. We should get used to play with them.
    And we should take hakan sukur out of the starting 11 ASAP. Not because he is bad but because our future forward duo will be Nihat and Tuncay and the more we play with them, the more they will get better as a couple

7. yeniceri

yeniceri New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    chestnutridge new york
    i'm wondering if i'm the only person around here that thinks mr tuncay sanli is utterly overrated

8. galafan

galafan New Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Massachusetts
    you're not the only one who thinks tuncay is overrated yeniceri, especially in regard to his skill as a striker. I agree with most people who say he's good, but anything better than that, especially on the international level, is an overstatement. He has good technical ability, vision, and ball control. He lacks speed, strength, and he is not a striker. maybe he will develop a knack for scoring goals, but to take hakan sukur out and play tuncay instead would be ludicrous. Sukur has played with the team for years now, he is our only offensive threat in the air, and he can take the rough play in the box. He's a veteran with vast experience on the international level. Tuncay needs to find on a steady position on fener to further develop his skills relevant to his position. he is not a striker on fener, and until he does play the striker role and scores a few goals, i don't see gim as a good replacement for sukur right now.

9. molosztash

molosztash New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Forward problems

Tuncay and Nihat are of the same kind of forwards. Very quick, abilities of passing defence, good shots. You know Hakan Þükür is more static than these two guys.

One of the critics had told that Sergen is playing in the forward alongside Ilhan in Besiktas, and very successful. And if we want him in the NT, he must be playing behind the striking duo of pacy strikers, i.e. Nihat and Tuncay. This may be a solution. The Hakan-style alternative of Hakan is Okan Yýlmaz I think.

10. Manny

Manny New Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Denmark
    I don't agree. Tuncay showed in the confederations cup that he can score against the best teams. He scored 3 goals and was selected as the 2nd best player in the tournament behind Henry.
    He has also scored more goals than Hakan Sükür in the turkish league this season. 7 goals in 8 games is very impressive. His goals scoring record for the U21 National team is also very impressive.

11. gantelo

gantelo New Member

Aug 9, 2003
    Istanbul
    Serkan Aykut scored more goals than Hakan Sukur but we all know who is the better forward. I think it is not a good idea to value players based on the number of goals they score. But I agree with you about Tuncay. Dont forget that he played almost two years in Fenerbahce as a second-league signing. It is hard to play there even if you are a star and it is even harder to be an unknown and be a star while playing there.