More Concacaf Players to MLS in 2005?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by numerista, Nov 17, 2004.

1. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    With MLS expanding next season, the international player rules have changed a bit. The total number of Senior International places in the league will grow from 30 to 48, and Transitional Internationals (U-24) from 20 to 40. Almost certainly, quite a few of these openings will be filled by players from around Concacaf. A couple of tidbits gathered from recent news ...

Chivas USA -- There were recent discussions with Saprissa about sending young players. The team's SIs are likely to be all Mexicans, though, with Paco Palencia, Ramón Ramírez, and a defender named Loera being suggested in the most recent reports. (Manuel Sol was also mentioned in the article I saw.)

Galaxy -- La Opinión reports today that Costa Rican Walter Centeno and Guatemalans Angel Sanabria and Pando Ramírez are being considered for next season.
    http://www.laopinion.com/deportes/futbol/?rkey=00041116190609233308

Any comment on these players or others?

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    So after all the hysteria about Chivas USA becoming a farm team for CD Guadalajara, Saprissa gets that status now instead?

Saprissa fans must love this...

3. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I'm sure we might see a couple of Panamanians in MLS next year.

4. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Saprissa has been feeding MLS for a while ... that's where Guevara and Cancela came from. It's also where Centeno (rumored to the Galaxy) is currently playing.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yeah I know, but the fact that Vergara owns both teams must make it hard for Saprissa fans (I know I'd be angry...)

6. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why would you be angry at the guy who saved your club?

Where would Saprissa be right now without Vergara?

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Did Vergara really save Saprissa? ...that would of course change everything. Perhaps I should just shut up and let and actual Saprissa fan speak his mind.

8. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I think that's me!

About vergara....

I hate to say this but vergara DID save Saprissa, 2 years ago Saprissa owned money to everybody, then the mexican came with all his Omnilife products into CR and decided to invest some millions (colones) in Saprissa, in the same moment Medford started to coach Saprissa, they finished second on the tournament that year, and they won the championship last year, and hopefully they will win it this year as well.....so summerizing,
    Vergare did save us!

About walter centeno....

This is the first time that i hear that, i have nothing against MLS, actually i kind of like it, but please DONT take centeno there, sometimes Saprissa is Centeno-dependent, he is half of saprissa's team....His nickname is "pate"
    Centeno played 2 sesons in Europe with the greek team AEK athens, he played on the Champions League and scored 2 goals, one against Real madrid and the other against Roma, both were road games, but him and M.wright (costarrican defender that played there also) had to come back to Costa Rica, cause the greek league has broke, they still own money to them.
    why i dont want him to go to the MLS??? cause every costarrican that goes to the MLS comes back WORSE!!!! (andy herron is the only exception) i dont know if someone remember Roy Myers??? one of the first ticos that went to the MLS, now he plays like in the 3rd division....

about all the young saprissa's players

Saprissa has some young kids (less than 20 years old) that can play in the MLS, cause they are quality players and they are not getting to many minutes here. I heard that A.saborio could go to chivas next year, but it is just a rumor.

9. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    answer one
    To be honest with you guys, he hated the fact that vergara is a mexican business man...mexicans are not very liked around here

answer two
    Saprissa will be in bankroupt, broken, playing in the street without our stadium, cause it would probably have been sold... sad but true

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Very informative. Thanks Morado...

11. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    central americans to mls in 2005?

:) Ive heard rumors saying that costa rican walter centeno and guatemalans angel sanabria and guillermo ramirez might play for la galaxy in 2005.

12. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Pando Ramirez is in excellent form, and he'd be a very good MLS player. I'm surprised he's not still in Mexico, actually; he played well for Jaguares a couple of seasons ago.

13. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe I saw in La Prensa from Honduras that Honduran National Teamer Samuel Caballero will be joining the Chicago Fire.

14. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly hope so. At the risk of drawing the ire of Eurofans here, I would much rather MLS become the young CONCACAF league than the Euro retirement league.

15. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    the Euro-oldies are fine there....

16. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure there is room for both, remember we want quality and where it comes from doesn't matter to me

17. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Amen brother. All we need is more guys in their middle 30's with bad knees to sit on our benches. But to address the original point of this thread, I was thinking a couple of months ago that the league was going to need between 50 and 60 new players with the addition of the expansion teams. But now, with the expanded rosters, retirements, more TI's & SI's, and players going to Norway or other European countries, we can expect maybe 70, 80, or even as many as 90 new players in MLS next year. Even if MLS rapes the A League, that's a ton of new players to find. There could be a LOT more CONCACAF players in MLS next year.

18. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice visual lol

19. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    yep, me too. As much as I like Ekelund... I'd rather see a younger (and talented player) from this hemisphere on the field for San Jose next year.

20. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    http://futboltico.net/news/04/11/25/112502.htm

More on Sampson's upcoming Costa Rica trip ...

Rumored targets: Walter Centeno, Steven Bryce, Adrián de Lemos (why him?)
    Not ruled out: Douglas Sequeira, Michael Umaña, Rolando Fonseca

21. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    De Lemos is an outstanding prospect at keeper; he would have been the starter at Athens, and maybe even the starter in the WCQ, if he hadn't got injured.

22. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    Do any of you know when sampson will make trips to other central american countries?

23. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    http://www.nacion.com/ln_ee/2004/noviembre/24/deportes7.html

According to the agent for Pablo Brenes, Real Salt Lake could have three or four Costa Rican players next year. Brenes is already lined up, and Erick Scott is in negotiations to extend his loan. Other signings wouldn't happen until January.

24. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    totally agree....very good goalie, but gets injured very often

25. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    Re: Pregunta para los ticos

with so many ticos joining now -- and i think players from CR are classy -- what does the general public over there think? they got wanchope in spain, another cat (forgot his name) in italy, they had cats in russia, greece, etc. in the past

are they disappointed about their players coming to mls? or vice versa? i think it's great that more and more ticos -- and more central americans -- come to the u.s., it's gonna get even more competitive than ever...and more physical...

but watch out con los americanos, they're big, strong and physical as well...