More changes in NFL Europe

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by SportBoy333, Oct 22, 2004.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    NFL, swallow your damn pride, end this European fiasco and bring those teams back to the States for NFL2

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Damn. I was hoping the Claymores would get relegated to the SPL.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What the hell do you care as to whether NFL has a minor league in Europe.

The original NFL spinoff WLAF was a dismal failure in the U.S.

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

I don't.

I just think it'd be smarter to put these teams in non-NFL cities in the States, than to try and sell it to a market that obviously wants no part of NFL Europe.

And I think an NFL 2 would work now, given the NFL's current massive popularity.

And why do you always have to be so pissy? I mean, really. Roll a blunt and relax.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well yeah, the market around here has been tight lightly.

Anyway, the NFL was massively popular 13 years ago, too.

7. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    The same could be said for MLS teams. The team in question got about 10000 fans per game. that sounds like more than an A-League team and a little less than an MLS team. Just because it's less popular than the dominant sport does not mean it is not wanted by anyone.

Besides this seems less of a "this club is not popular" move and more of a "let's concentrate on germany because that's where most of the european talent and fans are"

Now all the teams are in germany except 1, Amsterdam, which is in a country relatively close to germany. I expect the Amsterdam club to be moved somewhere in germany in the next couple of years and perhaps the name may change to NFL Germany.

The NFL is a business. If they would make more money by having Minor League Football here in the states instead of in Europe they would.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Maybe NFL-E misses Don Garber...

9. Devilish Red

Devilish Red New Member

May 23, 2004
    Why Germany?

Just out of curiousity, how many European players are in the league?
    How many US Army/AF personnel (incl families) are stationed in Germany these days?
    What's the standard of play like in NFLe? Would a top 'European' team be a match for a very weak NFL side?

10. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I think they should just rename it NFL US Forces Overseas.

11. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 30 men and one woman who own NFL franchises aren't rich but sentimental fans, they're hardened cynical businessmen. If they operate a six team league in Europe to simultaneously introduce European fans to American football in the hopes of getting them to watch the Super Bowl on TV, while giving a few green but talented quarterbacks some needed seasoning, they are doing it on good evidence that doing so makes money if you consider all factors.

And yes I did have season tickets to the Ohio Glory. I was with 41,000+ fans the night they beat the Frankfurt Galaxy on a 50 yard field goal that bounced up but over the crossbar at the gun. Ohio Stadium swallowed up 41K like they weren't even there. If those hardened, cynical businessmen decided to pull the plug on a U.S. minor league after promising they wouldn't, you can bet they did so on good evidence it wasn't making money when you consider all factors.

12. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought the glory played at the hall of fame stadium in canton???

ya, i have a bunch of WLAF games on tape from 91 and 92...on my monarchs-knights won though they showed the highlight of the glory's only win and i don't remember it bouncing off teh crossbar, i thought the kicker just made it as time expired???

13. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Following is a 1 year old article. But still, compare the sentiments of these owners with what you're saying in your post.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1618267

"I'm just not convinced of the long-term (viability). The proponents keep telling me I'm short-sighted. Well, my vision is plenty good enough for me to see us throwing good money after something that's had 12 years to work, and hasn't."

14. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    NFL Europe is a quarterbacks' league (i.e., Stan Gelbaugh, Scott Mitchell, Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia). Regrettably, the Euro is down, and the novelty from all of the American Bowls has worn off. To me, NFLE was doomed when the Monarchs left London.

As for NFL2 ... I watched a 60s-era documentary on minor-league football with the Pottstown Firebirds, and, despite the minor-league/parent club ties with NFL teams, the league (ACFL) lasted less than three seasons.

Sure, it would be nice to test out areas such as Portland, Honolulu, Norfolk, San Antonio, Memphis, Mexico City, and Los Angeles to assess future viability of NFL franchises. But I think the owners are willing to pull the plug, which is a shame. The German supporters seem to have taken well to the game!