Montserrat

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by theworm2345, Nov 6, 2006.

1. ERIMUS

ERIMUS Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Teesside
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Port Vale midfielder Anthony Griffith has been called up by Montserrat for their upcoming World Cup qualifiers.
    The 24-year-old, who was born and grew up in Yorkshire, is eligible to represent the Caribbean island as his late father was born there.
    "It's a fantastic opportunity to play international football at any level and I'm delighted to have been called up," Griffith told the club website.
    Montserrat, ranked 202nd in the world, face Belize on 15 and 19 June.
    In 1997 a major eruption devastated the southern part of the island and buried the capital, Plymouth.
    The crisis prompted more than half of the population to leave and the island has been striving to recover and rebuild ever since.
    "My dad died when I was a young boy, so it's an opportunity for me to learn about the history and heritage of where he came from and link up with family members," added Griffith, who joined Port Vale in 2008.
    "I'm really looking forward to the challenge of international football."

2. sanon74

sanon74 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks very much for that. Could you please let me know what contact e-mail you are using for the Montserrat FA as I don't seem to be able to get in touch with them.

Thanks

3. sanon74

sanon74 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  4. sanon74

sanon74 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Montserrat were defeated 5-2 by Belize in the first leg of their World Cup qualifier in Trinidad last night. There is a brief match report on my blog: www.montserratfootballteam.blogspot.com

5. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    I read a story in the lead up to this match where Dyer was raving about the quality of the Blakes Estate stadium and how good the surface is. Also, it mentioned that they'd be able to use it in september if they qualified for the group stage. So, what exactly was wrong with it now that made it "not up to standard"?

6. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Dressing rooms weren't ready

7. sanon74

sanon74 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If Montserrat doesn't make it through to the next round of World Cup Qualifiers then I wonder when this stadium will get used again. The next tournament is the Caribbean Cup (which is played at a neutral venue anyway) and Montserrat hasn't played a friendly international since 'The Other Final' against Bhutan in 2002. Hopefully, the Montserrat FA will be able to arrange some friendlies as the current players and coaching staff are very professional in their approach and could really put the country on the footballing map in the future.

8. sanon74

sanon74 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  9. sanon74

sanon74 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was just wondering whether anyone knew whether Montserrat has any friendly internationals planned for the future? Alternatively, does anyone have a contact e-mail for their coach, Kenny Dyer?

Thanks

10. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No they do not have any friendlies planned. Your best bet for getting in touch with Kenny Dyer would probably be Facebook. If its urgent I am in contact with a couple of Montserrat's players and they may be able to help you but, as I said, only if its for something highly important.

11. sanon74

sanon74 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks for that. No, it's not important. I was just wanting to find out what was happening with the team after the World Cup as I'm not sure whether the Montserrat FA has a website. As you said, the best bet for getting in touch with Kenny Dyer is probably via facebook.

Thanks again

12. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The team will in all likelihood be dormant until the next Caribbean Cup if not the next round of World Cup Qualifiers...I doubt they can afford to fly players in for friendlies and their local-based players alone probably wouldn't stand much of a chance against any team in the region. I know they meet up in London every month or so to train together though.

13. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    How many local players who live on Montserrat was in starting eleven ?

14. sanon74

sanon74 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, I think their best chance of having a friendly would be a game in the UK where quite a few of the players are based. A game at the Blakes Estates stadium in Montserrat would be great though. I'm not sure how many of the team who played against Belize were local to Montserrat. I've heard that there has been no national championship in the country since 2004, but not totally sure on this.

15. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This is where they are based now, not sure on places of birth

2nd Match:
    Jermaine Sweeney - not sure
    Clifford Joseph - from Dominica, don't know where hes based now
    Kendall Allen - not sure
    Nyron Dyer - England
    Anthony Griffith* - England
    Alex Dyer* - England
    Leovan O'Garro - Ireland? (I think)
    Darryl Roach - Australia
    Alexander Bramble - not sure
    Jaylee Hodgson - England
    Calvin Petrie - England

1st Match:
    Micah Hilton - pretty sure he is or was based in Montserrat, may be from Dominica
    Julian Wade - I think Montserrat
    Wayne Dyer* - England
    Junior Mendes* - England/Scotland
    Dale Lee - don't know

The only player who actually played who didn't start either match was Denoy Campbell who came on in the second match, he is from Antigua.

*denotes current or former professional

16. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  17. siebenw

siebenw Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Würzburg, Germany
    In red my remarks

18. sanon74

sanon74 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Does anyone know whether Montserrat will be playing in September's international fixtures?

19. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway

I dont expect them to play more matches in 2011 and 2012...

20. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They could well play in the Caribbean Cup next June (or the qualifying rounds if they are before that)

21. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_s4bLrdSiE&feature=player_embedded"]Belize vs Montserrat - World Cup Qualifier - YouTube[/ame]

22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They got a 2-2 draw with Antigua and Barbuda.

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daniel Feuerstein
    @DFeuerstein

39m
    Full Time in today's 1st match of the 2nd half in
    @Concacaf
    @FIFAWorldCup
    Qualifying Dominica 3:0 Anguilla.
    Montserrat vs. US V.I. is next,
    5:30PM Cuba vs. British V.I.
    At 6PM Cayman Island vs. Aruba,
    Then at 7:30PM Puerto Rico vs. Bahamas

25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AmericanPyramidBlog
    @APyramid_Blog
    44m
    CONCACAF WC Qualifying.
    Curacao leading their group over Guatemala.
    Montserrat leading their group currently.
    Dominican Republic leading their group, which includes Panama, and have a +5 goal advantage on them.