Montserrat

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by theworm2345, Nov 6, 2006.

1. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Are they planning on entering WC2010?

2. Edgar

Edgar Member

3. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I emailed them before, they never got back, thanks though

4. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish teams like Montserrat, Puerto Rico, Guam, and Laos would participate in regional events and WCQ's or just dissolve. What's the point of having a national team if you never play in any events? Each confederation needs to ensure its members have a chance to compete on any stage, but if those members choose not to, then why do they exist at all? Granted, these minnows don't have much chance of succeeding, but that doesn't seem to stop San Marino or Malta from having their lunches handed to them against bigger European competition. Of course, UEFA is probably the richest of the six FIFA confederations. If a national team cannot raise enough interest among its populace to participate and try to compete on the field, they need to do some serious soul searching and either **** or get off the pot!

5. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    PR is in the middle of preparation of their squad for the WCQ, they plan to start competing again in 2009 and unwards they already stared this year with the U-17 WCQ where they lost to Panama. Remember that the current fed is working hard but because the past feds did not do anything and basicly destroyed futbol in the island they have had to start from scrash they didnt even have player information to make a team because the last administration lost all the player records, the curren fed is working on a pro league, and a competive NT team, amog other things, expect good things from them in the years to come. There is interest for Futbol in PR but thanx to curropt officials the lvl of futbol in the island stagnated, but now we have a dedicated president and people who care about futbol trying to change that.

6. ScouseBill

ScouseBill New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Yes they are... For the last World Cup I had some good mail response from the FA as I was trying to get some info on England based players....
    They haven't played any full internationals as they have been putting all resources into the under 17 team at the moment...

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I believe it was for the WC in Korea and Japan that the Dominican Republic eliminated Montserrat, I believe it was twice 3-0

8. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Montserrat usually does compete in WCQ.

Like brentgoulet said, they played Dominican Republic for 2002 (they actually lost 1-3 in the 2nd game, but yes, 0-3 in the first) and they recently got blown out by Bermuda, 20-0 (0-13, 0-7) on aggregate for 2006.

9. ScouseBill

ScouseBill New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    I have got the teamsheets for the home game against Bermuda and on it they have actually managed to miss out the letter 'T' in Football.. So it reads as Montserrat Fooball Association.

10. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Montserrat and Puerto Rico should have been in the CONCACAF Gold Cup qualifiers but they are both missing.

11. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Can anyone send me pictures of some Montserrat footballers (in uniform) or any pictures of the football team please?

12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Is there a soccer league in Montserrat?

Last time I heard there were only like 7 000 people living on the island

13. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

so they will be in the 2014 qualifiers?

because if they start competing in 2009 that means they will mis the 2010 Qualifiers that start in 2008.

14. hakapolita

hakapolita New Member

Oct 18, 2004
    PVD
    Here's a picture from Montserrat v Bhutan.

[​IMG]

15. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes, I believe that is Willix Antione

16. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    LOL i just notice i miss wrote the years i ment to say 2007 onwards i thought 2009 was next year my bad, finals exams got me all luppy.

17. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    I know for a fact that they are working for the WCQ for 2010, i should of corrected myself sooner

18. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    okay good luck

19. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Their kits look impressive for a small team. I believe that game was a playoff for the distinction of being the worst team in World Cup Qualifying!:eek:

20. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Kind of, although it went in the record books as just another friendly match.

Bhutan won 4-0 but Montserrat had a lot of factors working against them prior to the match.

First, they had to travel all the way across the world for the game in Bhutan, and they had to stop at about a dozen different locations to switch flights - they were on their 7th plane by the time they reached Amsterdam, which was about the half way point in their trip.

Then, when they got to India, about 6 of the players got sick in Calcutta waiting for the final flight to Bhutan.

Also, less than a week before the game Montserrat's coach resigned - so they had to scramble to find a new one for the match.

Finally, they had to play at a high altitude in Bhutan that they weren't used to at all, which I'm sure was quite a difficult adjustment to make. I know this is a weak "excuse", but teams like even Brazil or Argentina often complain about how hard it is to play against Bolivia or Ecuador due to elevation - so imagine having a team like Montserrat having to deal with that kind of disadvantage.

So, while it could have been a good game between the two lowest ranked teams, Montserrat had so much difficulty that they pretty much had already lost before the game started. Bhutan's 2nd goal was really nice though, a good curling freekick around the wall.

21. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Any updates?

22. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Yes !

Nevis - Montserrat 2-0 , 10 November 2006

23. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well I suppose that isnt terrible, and I assume they didn't have Wayne Dyer, Tesfaye Bramble, or Junior Mendes. However, the two played to the exact same scoreline, exactly 10 years before that match (Nevis' first international) so are you sure?

24. diclem87

diclem87 Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Zaragoza
    anybody has a video about this friendly match between Bhutan and Monserrat? I don´t imagine which is their level.

25. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Sorry that was a result from 1996, not 2006