Montreal v. Charleston 5-15 (R)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, May 13, 2009.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you look at the match up, in the past I would have said to expect a tight, defensive match probably ending up 0-0 or maybe one team sneaking the goal.

But with what we have seen up to this point in the season, I think the Battery can win this game convincingly

To do so they will have to find a solution at left back to cover the susspended Wilson, sitting out due to a red card. ther is another thread devoted to who will cover that position so I wont go into much detail

Also, another question is Armstong's ankle, he didnt play Saturday night and hopefully it isnt a big problem. Im pretty sure he traveled and was held out as a precaution.

Even without those two, the Battery have been coming along nicely. the offense seems to be gelling and creating quality chances and will score more goals and I still see our backline as one of the most solid and stingy back lines in the league.

Montreal on the other had seem to be in the middle of a slum. they have yet to win a match this season, and in four games have given up seven goals. weather it is the long season for them or road trips or what, they will eventually fight through it but hopefully not until after our match on Friday.

Working in our favor, Montreal play TFC tonight for CCF qualifing. Montreal will definatly be playing to win as they will want that CCF berth.

Also they play on sunday as well so that will be three games for Montreal in five days. Tough for any team.

A win in Canada will be a nice way to come back to Charleston for a three home game stretch

finally We will be having a watch party on Friday night at Madra Rua. spread the word. Is a friday night, at a pub and should be a great time!

Mikey

2. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    is it gone be on usllive.com? ill try to watch it :cool:

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yep www.usllive.com will have it. it will also be on local radio at 1040am. they have a "listen live" botton for webcast but I can never seem to get it to work.

By the way all the games are archived as well so even if you dont watch it tonight you can check it out later.

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Montreal will be without defender Stefano Pesoli, as well as midfielders Patrick Leduc and Leonardo Di Lorenzo. the didnt travel to Toronto due to injuries.

Battery will be with out Wilson due to suspension and Woodbine who is still injured. I'm hoping the boys will be up for this match

Toronto swarmed their defense putting something like 16 shots and if not for a few key saves by Jordan, their keeper, it could have been 3 or 4 nil.

Montreal was limited on the attack. only putting up 3 shots on goal.

I'd like to see a repeat of that Friday night and hopefully we can convert some of our chances

5. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am with Mikey here. Charleston have been strong on the offensive end from the onset of late. They just need to put the ball in the back of the ol' onion bag.

6. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You wrote that part with a Tommy Smythe accent didn't you?!:D

7. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You know... I really didn't. But after I posted it and re-read it, I couldn't help but think about the venerable Mr. Smythe.

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal fired there coach! Obviously they werent get the results they felt they should be!

http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/s...iatis-name-marc-dos-santos-interim-head-coach

Brief preview from Montreal
    http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3823661

and one from the Battery
    http://www.charlestonbattery.com/matches_previews.asp?cid=408

9. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ill be arriving at the Madra Rua at 6:30. Hope to see yall there. Go Bats!

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    see ya there I should be there by 7ish

a few guys from my work will be out there two. They might have claimed the tables or be in that general area but they know we are coming in for the game.

11. Theonefish

Theonefish Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Greenville SC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, short term memory up at Stade Saputo. It wasn't what, 2 or 3 months ago that they were a few minutes away from the CCL semis? I would have given him a little more time at least. Sure they looked pretty bad against TFC the other day, but TFC is a vastly improved team and looks to be running away with the Canadian championship this year.

I think the Battery ought to come away from this with 3 points, though. Montreal hasn't been great so far this season, and Charleston has shown they can score goals on the road this season. I'm calling 0-2 Charleston.

If I'm at home tonight I'll be watching, if any of you don't go to the pub I'll be in the USLlive chat as Theonefish.

12. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-0 at the half

13. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting line up:
    1 - Dustin Hudock (G)
    2 - Nelson Akwari (D)
    6 - Matt Bobo (D)
    3 - Scott Buete (D)
    15 - Frankie Sanfilippo (D)
    24 - Tyler Hemming (M)
    19 - Kenji Treschuk (M)
    7 - Christopher Williams (M)
    10 - Tsuyoshi Yoshitake (M)
    17 - Daniel Antoniuk (F)
    20 - Randi Patterson (F)

Subs:
    30 - Keith Wiggans (G)
    5 - Nigel Marples (D)
    11 - Ian Fuller (F)
    14 - Tom Heinemann (F)
    9 - Darren Spicer (F)

14. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No changes to start the 2nd half.

15. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marples in for Buete

16. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spicer on for Patterson

17. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty ugly display last night, fortunatly we got a point. Everyone seemed off their game. I know they were missing a couple key players but some of the usual standouts seemed to have an off night.

Still the positive is that it is a point on the road and we are still undefeated. now we get Three games at home so hopefully the boys will get back to the Miami/Carolina form