Montreal 2012 Stadium Situation

Discussion in 'Montreal Impact' started by Chef Medeski, May 11, 2010.

1. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that looking back, playing the first half of the season at the big O will be a great decision. The change in venue plus the new team multiplied by their PR efforts should attract many more first time fans. Then its up to the on field product to actually keep them coming.

2. mtlve

mtlve Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    this right here

3. halisray

halisray New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    I hope they use the OS more often, not a huge fan of SS.

Wasn't there talk of demolishing the OS though? Isn't the city still in debt over it? (lol)

4. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal

there ya go!

5. halisray

halisray New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Could have sworn I heard something like that... still indebted from Expo 67.. pretty sure

6. stevebeau

stevebeau Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No.

Not trying to be a dick but please explain why you prefer the Big O over SS? I mean the sightlines in the Big O are frightful your always far from the field no matter where you sit. At SS even the worst seat in the house has decent sightlines and your close to the field..

7. halisray

halisray New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    I find the OS nostalgic haha - good point though.

8. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They should smash it down and build condos.

9. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Engineering studies have estalished the cost of demolition at **> $500m, so you can forget about it.

The Big O is a bit run down, but it remains one of the most distinct symbols of Montreal. It's got a negative stigma attached to it, but it's there for big events, and hopefully we'll get a retractable roof when they re-do it in the next couple of years.

Saputo Stadium is the Impact's home, and, after the expansion, will be a very difficult and noisy place to play in once Montrealers get a vibe for MLS soccer.

As someone with ST's in the supporters section behind the net, SS is 1,000x better than the Big O.

10. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal

half right; the seats are far, but there's not actually a bad seat in the place aside from that, compared to how SS has a view without vision of the net, if you sit in the corner on the office side.

11. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal

half right; the seats are far, but there's not actually a bad seat in the place aside from that, compared to how SS has a view without vision of the net, if you sit in the corner on the office side.

12. 3kuyt

3kuyt New Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Montreal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The big O needs to be modernized. To start off, they need a new scoreboard with a much larger screen.

13. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal

******** screens, roof first.

14. 3kuyt

3kuyt New Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Montreal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Sorry for thinking that the current scoreboard is too small for the size of the stadium. I personally think that the empty area behind the blenchers offers huge potential to have a great scoreboard.

15. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The place needs to be smashed down. 500m to demolish is impossible. They took down the Delle Alpi (60k seater) and built a new one (40k seater) on top for 200m.

What should have been done 20 years ago is a downtown multipurpose stadium that could be used for CFL/MLB/MLS.

Maybe even the Mcgill stadium... and don't bring up the gridiron because with a little money it could be removed and redone at will.

17. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal

Why. Why put millions and millions into something new, rather than work on a stadium that is a world renowned tourist location?

There's a negative view of the stadium that blinds people to the fact that it's a nice stadium, that suffers from poor planning and mismanagement.

Why on earth do you think it'd automatically be better the 2nd time around, and why do you think that's better than renovating the big o?

Also, you realise the situations behind the big o demo and that thing in italy is completely different right?

Maybe the fact that the big o spans pretty much 2 metro stations and anchors a profitable location is at least ONE reason not to demo it.

Just because you don't like some place doesn't mean your reasons why you dislike it are true and factual...

18. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Are you from the 80's? A multipurpose CFL/MLB/Soccer stadium in Montreal? Where have I heard that before?

[​IMG]

And, because you seemed to be fact-deficient: http://dcnonl.com/article/id23140

Saputo Stadium is the perfect size for MLS, and is a home for soccer in Quebec. The sightlines are perfect and the Impact are the main tenant. Olympic Stadium will have to do for bigger games.

19. stevebeau

stevebeau Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    True about those corner seats beside the office, but that concerns maybe 40-50 seats in a 20,000 seat stadium as for the Big O you need binoculars to see the field from the higher up sections (maybe slight exaggeration)..

20. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    'bad seat' arguments centre around the existence of the worst seat in either place.

i won

<3

21. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nobody said anything about the SS stadium being an issue. Rather the contrary, it's almost ideal, just missing some atmosphere and maybe more extras.

1. The area around the OS is has nothing to do, not even a good restaurant, mall, bar, club. Zero...

2. The inside of the stadium is retro 1989, last I was there for the Milan vs Impact game they had tube TV in the areas around the bathrooms. Hadn't seen one of those in almost a decade.

3. I was a big fan of the Expos. Guess what, the stadium was utter crap during 90' and nothing has changed.

4. It's not built for "soccer"

5. Turf? Are fucking kidding me? Again pure shit.

6. Tourist attraction? Might as well show people the Miron dump.

I stand by my point that it will not cost anywhere near 500m no matter what your bullshit link says. More importantly add up the costs on that hunk of shit for the past decades to lost potential revenues and you have a bargain.

22. mtlve

mtlve Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ya the big o is so outdated... the "big screen" is horrible.
    but i must agree it is a symbol of montreal, and YES, it is a big tourist attraction.

I say do a little updating in there or something

23. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal

sigh

Anyways, you're quite right and won this argument. Very convincing statements... I used to like the Big O and how many tourists it brought to the city, but you pointing out there arent flatscreens inside and just ignoring the fact tourists do like it, have changed my mind.

Also your rejection of the findings made by experts without offering anything other than your uninformed opinion was really the cherry on the cake.

24. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The funny thing is you have no clue, making excuses for a dead dog.

1. Italians teams are playing in stadiums that were build in the same "thinking" as the OS.

2. 5-6 Italian teams will have new stadiums in the next 4-6 years. All of them smaller with malls, restaurants, entertainment and business adjacent to them.

3. Every new stadium follows the above idea. Look at Germany, the Swiss, England. Look in the US find me a professional stadium that doesn't follow those business rules.

You obviously don't follow sports and you don't know shit about building a proper stadium.

Go ask the Yankees, the Cowboys, even the Gillette stadium has proper amenities in the immediate vicinity.

As for the tourist, once less thing to visit. Its not like their spending money at the OS which would pay for its destruction.

OS = Money losing hunk of junk. Complete waste of tax dollars. Disgrace.

25. mtlve

mtlve Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    you dont think a total renovation would be good?
    wasn't there talk about a resto or something?