Montreal 2012 Stadium Situation

Discussion in 'Montreal Impact' started by Chef Medeski, May 11, 2010.

1. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal

just picture the video, but with snow and tarps insteaf of grass and mud.

As of yesterday. its unfortunately stopped til summer.

2. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Montreal Impact and Olympic Park announce a four year partnership
    Deal significant step for soccer and Olympic site
    [​IMG]

MONTREAL, January 17, 2012 – The Minister of Tourism and minister of the Olympic Park, Ms. Ménard, along with Montreal Impact president Joey Saputo and president of the Olympic Stadium, Mr. David Heurtel, announced on Tuesday a four year partnership between the two organizations, reinforcing the stature of professional sports at the Olympic Stadium.

The deal stipulates that of the 17 regular season home games that the club will play in Major League Soccer (MLS) in 2012, five of those matches will be played at Olympic Stadium, as well as the Canadian Nutrilite Championship game. For the 2013, 2014, and 2015 seasons, the Impact should play two or three games at Olympic Stadium, including the home openers.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/ne...d-olympic-park-announce-four-year-partnership

3. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. mtlve

mtlve Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    actualy cant wait for the stadium to be finished.. dont know why they are gonna play playoff games in the big O.. such a broken down stadium.
    and wow the olympic stadium employees uniforms are so old and ugly its disgusting lol.

5. Montreal Monty

Feb 6, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    seriously? Lets think...
    >> 20k attendance vs. 50k+
    >> indoor comfort vs. November snow & ice

This is a model proven successful by the Alouettes already...

Also, the Big O while it is a 35 yr old building is NOT broken down (from a fans perspective).

NO BRAINER

6. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Big ZERO is shit. Disgraceful blood sucking garbage dump.

Playing outside would give them a tactical advantage.

7. mtlve

mtlve Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    (from a fan prespective also)
    I agree with you to play indoors during the cold months.. and yes 50k ppl in a stadium is fun.
    im talking about the playoff games.. play them outdoors..the saputo stadium is gonna be an awesome soccer stadium, looks straight out of europe.

And yes, the olympic stadium IS broken down.. how you ever been to an als game there?? the "big screen" is absolutly hoooorrible lol.

But i guess its all about the $$$$$$$ right?

8. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    latest stad saputo pix
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    True.

If humans play two soccer games in the cold a season, they mutate into polar bears. If you have played soccer against polar bears, you know what I'm talking about.

1 person likes this.
  10. mtlve

mtlve Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LMFAO. just.. amazing

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every tackle studs up and the refs never take them to task.

12. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ever see a frozen Mexican? Welcome to Canada biznitch. :D

13. Montreal Monty

Feb 6, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I am an Als season ticket holder, and have attended football and (occasionally) soccer there since 1977. I have also been to many other stadiums and I can tell you that the Big Owe is not a broken down building, relatively. It does however feature a big bowl to accommodate track & field for the Olympics - making intimacy impossible, and keeping you far from the field. That plus terrible cement-effect acoustics means it takes at least 35k fans to provide a great atmosphere there.

14. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    C'mon man the stadium is shit. Give me a break. I have attended countless events were the atmosphere was great because of high attendances, including some baseball games of 55k+ but the stadium was/is still shit.

15. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Are you trying to say that your stadium is shittier than my stadium?

16. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no its not
    large chunks of your stadium may fall on folks at any time :D

17. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    RFK may be a pit, but there is no doubt its the best tailgate situation in MLS. If we could just build a nice little place like Saputo in the RFP parking lot all would be well....... But let's not burden Montreal fans with our probems.....

18. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Toronto FC loses hands down. You may have decrepid stadia or unrenovated stadia, but at least you didn't spend $63 million for bleacher seats on sheet metal that looks more like a crap NCAA Division 2 football stadium, than a professional stadium....and despite your complaints at the end of they day you'll have a CEMENT stadium.

19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mean to hijack the thread and turn it into a "whose stadium is crappier" debate, but New England wins, hands-down. Gillette may be relatively new, but it is a soul-less concrete mass in the middle of a shopping mall with plastic grass and no atmosphere whatsoever. What little noise that does get generated gets sucked up into the air by the open space at one end, and even a larger than normal "crowd" of 10,000 gets completelty dwarfed by nearly 60,000 empty seats. And it's out in the middle of nowhere, equally inconvenient from both Boston and Providence. If you don't have a car, you can't get there, full stop.

Want to rag on T'ronna? Sure, it's a birthright of being from Montreal, but any New England fan would gladly trade places with the aluminum bleachers they have at BMO. Not to mention you guys in Montreal. Both of your stadiums are right in the city, accessible via public transport or with a car, and best of all, you are a serious team who are treated like an adult activity. Almost 100% of the meagre NE marketing budget is focused on kids, with our stupid mascot in an animal suit. Even the Big Owe is a good alternative for "big" games or wintertime CONCACAF play.

As a NE sports fan, I was disappointed to see our NFL team lose last night, but the only thing that gave me a tiny bit of joy was seeing the kick-in-the-nuts look on the face of those scumbag owners of ours, sitting in the luxury box. Not that it will make them even realize they own a soccer team or anything, but any day you can kick a Kraft in the nuts is a good day!

20. 0948735

0948735 Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Games in april or november (because the field would be frozen in december or march) would be awesome. Remember Champion's League with minus 5 against Olimpia, it was magic (you did not attempt that game I believe).

21. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I beg to differ. Our own lot, free parking, kegs and BBQ everywhere. Gotta say we have best tailgates in the league now.

22. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're late.

24. vettefredje redded

Sep 12, 2011
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    What will be the 2012 average attendance of Montreal Impact? I guess between 15,000 and 20,000.

25. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If the Impact attract 35 000 on average at the Big O (realistic), it's seriously going to skew the average up. With 16k at SS and 35k at the Big O, that's over 21.5k average.