Montero

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by netsfan549, Jul 10, 2011.

1. netsfan549

netsfan549 Member

Aug 31, 2007
    This guy have so much talents.. Are ya guys surprised he's not playing for Colombia right now?

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I'm not. Montero is incredibly streaky and if he wants to break into the national team, he needs to get some consistency.

3. Ballard

Ballard Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Ballard
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of his streaky nature. Now is a great point in the season for it to kick in on the positive side. The Sounders need him to get consistent for two reasons:

1. We can use more goals from him on a reguar basis if we're goign to make a run at the cup
    2. He needs to become attractive to foreign teams for the Sounders to be able to sell him and recoup the cost of his DP Salary eventually.

Mostly the second one there.

4. Nitch

Nitch New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Just like previously stated incredibly streaking. He also has a tendency to hold on to the ball for too long, which gets frustrating to watch at times. He definitely has the talent when he's on form, but he has a lot of things to brush up to reach his full potential.

5. soundersFCfan

soundersFCfan Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this may also be a good thread to speak about him generally. I agree w/ the "streaky" assessment. I would also add frustrating, skillful, brilliant, selfish, not a leader, and young. I don't think he really wants to play in MLS - it doesn't suit his style. Unfortunately for him - we have his contract - so unless he steps up his consistency, selflessness, energy level, and goal production, he may not get the looks by outsiders that he needs for us to sell him, which ultimately I think would be a good thing for both he and us. Against Portland he easily could have had 4 goals, failing to finish on both open header (from perfect Rosales cross) and a beautiful nutmeg he did to free himself 1v1 against Perkins in the box. Perkins came up big on both, and on the 1v1 against Fernandez in the first half. But Fredy's gotta finish those if he wants to earn a spot on a national side or a higher flight foreign roster. Just my 3 cents. :)

6. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think he's good, but I'm not sure if he's good enough for Colombia. Colombia has strikers that play in Europe. But at least their coach should at least give him a shot/tryout.

7. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will get a shot but Colombia has a great forward in Falcao no one is close to him and a second striker in Rodallega, so Montero needs to keep scoring in order to get a look. There is also Gutierrez who is on fire in racing in argentina so Montero will have to show more than what he has this season.

8. soundersFCfan

soundersFCfan Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he's not quite at the level of these 3 yet, so he's a bit down on the national team's depth chart at forward.

It's interesting to note that Columbia produces more top level international striker talent than the US. Just a casual observation/opinion.

9. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is that odd? Colombia is a soccer nation through and through and has had world class players at every level.

The Colombian Soccer federation has great Soccer IQ unlike the USSF. It is not odd that colombia produces great talent... It is odd that the US cannot.

10. soundersFCfan

soundersFCfan Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say it was "odd" in my post. I just said it was interesting.;) But I do agree that it IS odd the US cannot produce great talent. I agree the USSF has a poor soccer IQ (and I don't know anything about the Columbian Soccer Federation so I can't comment on them), but I guess this is all good fodder for a different BS thread.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As pointed out Colombia has many guys ahead of him on the totem poll. Falcao, Adrian Ramos, Dayro Moreno, Hugo Rodallega, Teo Gutierrez, Jackson Martinez. Then there are other guys who are not at the Copa America who are in the same boat as Montero. Wason Renteria, Carlos Darwin Quintero, Juan Pablo Pino, Franco Arizala, the list goes on and on and on.

What has not been pointed out in this thread is that Colombian coaches just don't like calling up players from MLS. Look at David Ferreira MVP of the League. He was never in consideration to be called up by the Coach Bolillo (even before the injury).

As long as Montero is in MLS I don't think he will get a fair chance.