Montero reportedly loaned to Millonarios for 6 months...

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by MVsoccerDad, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Can someone explain to me how this works, and why Seattle aren't getting a chunk of that transfer money?

2. EAB206BLUES

EAB206BLUES Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well better hope then that he doesn't stink it up like he did at Millos. Then the Sounders might stand to benefit from this whole ordeal.

It's a win win for Montero he gets to play in Europe and showcase his skills (if he plays well) to the Colombian National team to make a case for the 2014 World Cup, hasn't that really been his goal all along? He's got a punchers chance I suppose.

A win win for Sporting too, they get to test him out at no risk to them (sure they cover his salry most likely) and if they like him well they can pay close to whatever fee the Sounders think Montero is worth, which was probably the reason this wasn't a permanent deal in the first place.

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno.. Fredy seems to like it here in Seattle.. It just isn't the best olace for bim to further his career.. I wouldn't be totally surprised if he comes back once he's on the wrong side of 30.

Unak78 repped this.
  4. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounders wanted a larger transfer fee than what Sporting was willing to pay, so the Sounders loaned him to them, with the option to by.. Consider this to be a test drive to see if he works out.

5. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    it is difficult, there are 6 or 7 ahead of him for the spot.....he need also lucky and play very welll

6. Alek James Hiddel

Jul 15, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    "Loan to buy" is a terrific arrangement for the club doing the buying; it's a bad arrangement for the team doing the selling. Montero could score 25 league goals and the transfer fee we get would not reflect that stellar season. Or, he could break his leg in his first training session and we're left with a crocked player and no money.

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on what the "to buy" amount is. Word out of Portugal is that Sporting was ready to pay $3.5 million for Montero, which the Sounders thought was too low. It is probably safe to assume that the "to buy" option is higher than that $3.5 million, which is why it works for the Sounders.