Montenegro v England, World Cup Qualifier: Tues 26/03/2013: 20:00 BST, City Stadium, Podgorica [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Mar 23, 2013.

1. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Hodgson has only made one change despite the performance!!
    made no tactical move in 90 minutes .

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That clear pen not awarded is looking expensive now.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    TBH a draw away at Montenegro shouldn't be the deciding factor in this group. It's been the other games that have been the problem.

4. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    If things dont pick up we will be watching 2014 from the sidelines and not actually in the tournie if Woy doesnt get his act together sharpish.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Feeling more and more like the McClaren reign. Exact same thing happened in the Poland game to what happened here. 6 games in and we've only beaten San Marino and Moldova.

Don't like to pick players out but Lescott seemed to just swing wildly at the ball anytime it came near him.

6. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Shame we didn't win. We have 3 out of the remaining 4 games at home, so we should be ok.

7. TheBoleynInheritance

Feb 24, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    It's the same old England. Sit back and try and hold a lead....

8. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hodgson is worthless. When was the last time England had a proactive manager? He should have made a change 15 minutes into the second siege, I mean half.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  9. TheBoleynInheritance

Feb 24, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Agree he left it far too late. What was he waiting for? It's almost like he wanted them to go 1-1 before he dealt his hand!

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just one of a number of players we're having to draft in because our better players have either stopped playing for us, can't be bothered to turn up, weren't picked by the manager or are injured.

11. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    In and around the box , Welbeck and Milner wasted almost everything that came our way.

Next game is in september v Moldova .

12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Many didn't like Capello but I always thought he made changes with intent when required.

I'm not confident at all of qualifying. Not been this worried since we last had an English manager.

13. TheBoleynInheritance

Feb 24, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Can I just recommend that someone in that stadium slam that tannoy over that irritating blokes head in the crowd!! Didn't stop OHLAYING! for 90mins!

14. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    The days of Gerrard as an ever-present need to end sooner rather than later. He doesn't have the composure to keep the ball or the mobility to both attack and defend. All he seems to offer the team is pinging the ball, and even half a dozen of those went straight to Montenegrin players under next to no pressure. He should have been taken off for Osman after half time. No point having three in midfield if one of is a holding player and another can't get up and down the pitch quickly enough. Gerrard either needs to sit back more, or he needs to sit on the bench. The lack of mobility in midfield is what allowed Montenegro to overrun us despite us supposedly having more men in the centre.

15. TheBoleynInheritance

Feb 24, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I cant believe we are still playing the likes of Milner!

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure about worthless but he definitely looks like a manager used to managing fellas who, basically, aren't very good. International sides like Switzerland and Finland, (or whoever it was), haven't got the same sort of squads we have. Same with west Brom and their ilk.

I can't think of another reason why guys like Milner KEEP getting picked.

17. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Osman should have come in as the prime move in that 2nd half. But Woy just sat on his ass and let it slip away as we did in Poland.

Drawing games = not qualifying for the tournie

18. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Wow, just how poor was that ?

They came with a game plan of pressurising us even more second half and we just collapsed under the pressure. Hoofing it or giving silly passes and losing possession. Not once did we play with any energy and drive when we had the ball and put them under pressure.

Just so poor on so many levels. We deserved that and it could have been worse.

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    England boss Roy Hodgson: "I thought our first half was very good and I thought we hung on well at the end. We musn't be too disappointed."

Bad choice of words there.

20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Apt choice of words. They were the better side in the second half by far and were unlucky not to get the win.

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don't think we hung on well at all. Equaliser was inevitable. They were all over us and the fact we had to hang on for so long without any changes makes the comment bizarre to me.

22. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Overpaid prima donnas. They don't deserve to qualify. How does Cleverley get selected? What exactly does he do well? Milner--puh leeze. Lescott is a donkey and I couldn't give a toss if Gerrard ever wears the shirt again. Time to move on.

23. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not surprised, actually.

We were outplayed for large parts against Ukraine and Poland as well, and these are all teams who are probably in that 20-40 bracket of world football. We have a real lack in depth and quality at the moment. Add that to problems we always seem to suffer from (even with better players) and this was always going to be a tough qualification. I wouldn't fancy us against any half decent teams if we came second, so to actually qualify for the next world cup is now going to be a big ask.

As for Hodgeson (which you've all touched on)....why he had to wait until the inevitable goal, I am flumuxed. The Montenegro coach made changes, and we were all screaming for him to try some subs to try and turn the tide about 15 mins in (as were the commentators). One of us even said, I bet he makes a change as soon as they score.:rolleyes: I'm not expecting a lot with our current players, but at least attempt to do your job with tactics and subs.

24. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I took the quote to mean that we hung on for the draw.

Disagree completely. The players do care and they do try, it's the system that was lacking. Replace Gerrard with Osman and Milner with Sturridge in a 4-3-3 and you'd have seen a much more accomplished performance.

25. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    I know the press have given him a hard time ,but he is asking to be slaughtered with those words. Sympathy for Woy is slipping away fast. He only made one sub move with 10 mins left. That is Stuart pearce level incompetence .