Monochrome MLS Kits

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by EastBayGrease, Feb 2, 2006.

1. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warning: This thread is about the aesthetics of MLS uniforms. If you think said topic is insignificant, than do not read it and do not post here.

Like many MLS fans, I'm tired of the monochrome kits and believe that mixing up the dark home jersies with the white away shorts would reduce the dullness factor that pervades most of the leagues' uniforms. I was sure Adidas was going to make this change, and I'm disappointed to see that they haven't. Here's my proposed home and away kits.

2. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NY HOME:
    [​IMG]

This was reported to be NY's home kit. However, on MLSgear, the red shorts are listed as the home shorts.

5. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England Away:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On second thought, New England should go with the Chelsea kit....blue top, blue shorts, and white socks.

9. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salt Lake Home:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    DC United do it with there away kit. It wouldnt look right for some teams, but I would like to see the Galaxy with the home kits and the white shorts or KC, or Chicago.

11. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I definitely think they should do it. KC wore white shorts with their home blue shirts once (and got fined--though I think it had something to do with not warning the opposition), and it look badass. I hope the Metros go with the full AC Milan look (though I will rib them for copying AC Milan), but I don't think white shorts on Chicago would look good. Away whites have got to change though. Didn't we see an increase in "home" jerseys worn on the road last year? With Dallas and Chivas in white stripes, you think we would have...

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't remember them doing it in 2005, but during 2003 and 2004, the Wizards would freely mix and match the the jerseys and shorts. I've got photos of all four combinations.

Apparently the referee or other team complained after a game in which the game guide had them dressing monochromatically, and hence the fine.

But yeah, the white/blue and blue/white looked great.

13. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Please if it isnt too much cna you post the Wizards picks please?

14. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think the home side should wear their primary combination. Then, the away team should mix and match to avoid shirts, shorts, or socks of the same color.

It was fine when DC wore black with their white shirts last year. However, when they played in foxboro, the teams' shorts were way too similar. It was very distracting.

Oh, and as for the Rev's kits: If anything should change, it would be red socks like they had in '03. White socks wouldn't go with the new design which us Revs fans are very happy with.

15. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not sure what MLS's problem with it is, or if there is no problem, or what. Do they have any rules on what you are allowed to wear? I was pretty sure from following Euro leagues that having clashing shirts, shorts or socks was pretty much verboten, but here we have clashing black shorts:
    [​IMG]
    I don't think it's a huge problem or anything, but I thought regs on this were fairly standard, which would mean that Metros couldn't wear white shirts and red shorts in Chicago for example. Also, I thought Chicago in part introduced their 3rd kits so they could play at the red-and-white striped Chivas and Dallas teams. In the end they wore White in LA, I think, which would not have been allowed in England (this is why 2nd kits in Europe are often entirely different than the 1st choice ones).

EDIT: Chowda posted faster than me. I agree with him, it is a bit distracting.

16. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    but the NFL allows this:
    [​IMG]

navy helmets
    one dark jersey, one white
    white pants
    navy blue socks.

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter