Monitoring Children's Facebook/MySpace IM Conversations

Discussion in 'Technology' started by cmedina1983, Aug 15, 2009.

1. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Hello,

I would like to know if there is a place where MySpace/Facebook IM conversations are saved to automatically, or if the retrieval of such conversations is possible.

Thankyou.

2. Bernabeu

Bernabeu Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Madrid, España
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Check this. It might be pure spyware I dont know, just be careful. I dont even use Facebook.

http://www.spyonfacebook.com/

EDIT: Be extra careful. Right after visiting that site to copy the link for you, my antivirus warns me that my computer is trying to connect with some computer in Russia at this address: sh16.ruskyhost.ru

Looks awful.

3. NBTHOMCCC

NBTHOMCCC Member

Aug 16, 2009
    I'm not sure about myspace/facebook conversations, msn/aim type conversations can be saved automatically but you must be logged into the account and check a box. If you are a concerned parent, there is other monitoring software available, from keystroke loggers (would only capture one half of IM) to ones that will capture a screen image at designated intervals (and potentially capture both halves of IM).

Controversial subject since I'm a strong believer in privacy. Also, be careful where you get the programs to do this since they could easily contain a virus or worse send keylog to someone else.

I used a keystroke logger and screen capture on our 15 year old girl. Discovered the 32 year old sexual predator in time.

4. ClausKJ

ClausKJ New Member

Feb 14, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    I'd suggest that educating your children about online dangers (sadly necessary) rather than invading their privacy in such a massive way is a much better, and in the long run more sensible, way to go. I know I'd been deeply offended if my parents had rummaged through what I was doing online when I was a kid (well sort of...) and I'd done whatever I could to stop them from being able to do it. Talking and trust are the keywords I think.

KJ

5. NBTHOMCCC

NBTHOMCCC Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Couldn't agree with you more. My own kids will be educated to the dangers found online and end up smart enough to avoid them without my help (at least I certainly hope so!). However I did leave out that it was our foster child, and we had been specifically asked to monitor her online use by childrens aid "for her safety". She hadn't been educated, and certainly wasn't smart enough.

Privacy and trust is a big issue when dealing with foster kids. I couldn't bother reading pages of '"lol"s and "kewl"s, so once a week I'd do some quick keyword searches for illegal drug/alcohol references as well as the names of kids she was legally not permitted to have contact with. Protection of the vulnerable (particularly since it was successful protection against an online predator) was deemed more important than this invasion of privacy.

Its funny, because I would have been absolutely outraged if I had been 'spyed' on as a teenager. Our big brother society also outrages me. But now that I'm a parent its different for some reason... either I'm growing more conservative in my old age, or I need to start wearing a tin foil helmet because big brother's evil brainwashing is getting to me.