Money from underneath the couch cushions- The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    My first transfer thread started. Let's have fun.

2. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Continuing from the last ....

Really? We have lots of those? Can you point them out? Because as it stands we look to be likely to have four youth team guys on our bench on Saturday ... and not four youth team guys who should be there at this point in their careers. One guy who has basically never played above the level of Ligue 2. A 16 year old without a legit professional match played. Gnarby and Aneke. Aneke our single available defensive back up four our four healthy defenders. So where are these projects and depth players you talk about?

3. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not short on projects. Gnabry, Miyaichi, Ox, Campbell, Zelalem, Akpom, Sanogo, Bellerin, Miquel. We don't need to go out and buy some teenager because we already have a bunch of developmental guys in the fold.

We need veteran depth. I actually agree with that. I have to believe that the mass exodus of fringe players is the prelude to a big influx of new faces, but it's worrisome that they've left it so late.

4. AmericanGooner1986

Jul 14, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Okay, so the first thread lasted 2,472 posts while the second one lasted 1,997. Alright boys, lets get that count up to 3,000 this time!

5. AmericanGooner1986

Jul 14, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not that it means anything but Sanogo has a few matches in Ligue 1 as well and even a goal there as well.

6. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well fcking hell, I'm surprised we were able to sign him before City or Chelsea snapped him up, the superstar he is ...

7. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here is to hoping that he is not super quality a la
    Amaury Bischoff

8. AmericanGooner1986

Jul 14, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Also known as the best player ever in FIFA 10.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This window is worse than sitting on your balls

10. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Grimster you're late in the "go support Spurs" BS card. You of all people should know when something's old--and that line's old. :D

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    valbuena? ayew?

UnionFan11 repped this.
  12. UnionFan11

UnionFan11 Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bendtner and Frimpong back from loan are like two new signings.

13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This dude is making a lot of sense. Pretty level headed analysis.
    http://abehnisch.com/on-arsenal-squad-size/

"In terms of senior, established players, Arsenal probably need two signings: a central holding midfielder with strong passing qualities to cover for or at times play alongside Arteta; and a creative attacking force, ideally somebody who can play both in supporting and central striking positions.

In addition, unless Damian Martinez gets promoted, Arsenal need a 3rd goalkeeper and a 4th choice centreback (or a 3rd rightback, if Sagna can cover at centreback). But these signings will probably be less senior and thus less expensive."

14. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    It would be laughable if any of those players you mentioned get serious first-team action, aside from Ox. None of them are anywhere near good enough, nor experienced enough.

BigEffingGooner repped this.
  15. suzukirider1300

Feb 7, 2011
    Concord, NC USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Valbuena!

16. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    From the previous thread, grimster said the bookies usually get it right?

Bookies make their odds to encourage bets and also to hedge depending on what way the bets are flowing. Everyone knows spuds wont win the league and they need higher odds to encourage bets from their fans what have lost that bet for 50+ years.

OklahomaGunner repped this.
  17. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the odds as compiled by Bloomberg Sports:

[​IMG]

18. OklahomaGunner

Dec 21, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    This is the definition of 'I've got no way to refute what you're saying, so I'll make a little snide attack'.

Sad.

Arsenal have money to spend, have chosen not to spend it and though they'll undoubtedly sign someone this window there can be little argument they've looked much more a wallflower than an aggressor in this window. And as they say, 'fortune favors the bold'.

Fifty repped this.
  19. OklahomaGunner

Dec 21, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    But wait, you mean that the winner won't actually accumulate 81.7 points?

Thank you for some reason to the unreasonable but I've got a feeling you'll fall on deaf ears. Lines are created to activate betting on both sides.

20. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    is someone at bloomberg sports a toon fan??
    as for the newly promoted clubs, as always it's not easy to predict how they'll settle. it'll maybe take a team or 2 to implode to help them along. fulham or stoke maybe?
    cardiff don't have the best players, but they're very experienced and tough.
    hull have tried to add what experience they could get hold of, but i don't think it'll be enough.
    palace have really concentrated on strikers, maybe a bit too much. they'll no doubt try to "do a swansea" and play nice football, but whether it works or leaves them wide open, ala reading, is another thing. they might have half a chance with holloway in charge.

21. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    so Arteta out for 6 weeks is the rumor right now. Sup Wenger?

22. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hull and Palace look like they're in a lot of trouble. Not sure who else will join them.

There is always a more established team that craps the bed. Maybe Norwich, West Brom, or Stoke this time around.

23. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Norwich is going to finish mid-table this year.

I can see Swansea crapping the bed after months of "Will Laudrup replace Interim Manager Steve Bould at Arsenal" rumors, a la Redknapp at Spuds.

24. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swansea were pretty good last year and they didn't lose anyone significant that I'm aware of. I see them as a top 10 team. Not a relegation struggler.

25. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    its ok, Zelalem can fill in no problem. Or Ramsey can play there. Don't worry your little head.