Momo out two weeks

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by liverbird, Aug 23, 2006.

1. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    That's a relief. Based off initial reports, I feared he'd be out longer.

3. browfish

browfish New Member

Let's hope he's fit for the derby.

4. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It's great news that he'll be out for "only" 2 weeks...but this little "break" could be good for us...
    Now, I like Momo, don't get me wrong, but I have a feeling that he slows us down offensively a bit...I have only seen him this season vs Chelsea and his passing did not seem to have improved too much...leaving him out of the squad could get us a more dangerous 4-4-2, with Alonso and Gerrard picking up some slack for Momo's fantastic D

All I'm saying is that next two weeks will be interesting and not really in a bad way...now, tell me how wrong I am...

5. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are very wrong. :D

I agree that in some games Momo tends to stifle our own attack, but he's improved remarkably in his passing and in the attack. The thing is, he allows Gerrard and Xabi so much freedom when he's in the middle that I think our attack is better with him there.

I'm curious to see how Gerrard does when slotted back in his previous role of CM, paired with Alonso. Should be good to get Jermaine Pennant some more games (and I'd say throw young Paul Anderson out there to see what he can do).

6. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Clearly Gerrard and Alonso is a fantastic partnership, but Momo has been outstanding and I could never view him as a liability for speed or whatever.

7. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ

Not to pile on, but I think Sissoko has developed into a fantastic player and I am more comfortable in any big game with him out on the pitch. I'm hoping that the loyalty the club has shown him through his recent injuries will be rewarded when he receives other offers from clubs that will be splashing some serious cash.

8. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Dude is like what, 19-20 still? Yea, if he keeps playing like he has and improves like a youngster should, we could be looking at a world class player.

9. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    For every time Momo loses possession, he wins it back for Liverpool 3 times. He starts attacks by making a tackle or forcing an opponent to make a mistake. A huge part of Liverpool under Rafa has been putting pressure on opponents high up the pitch, and Momo has been at the center of that.

10. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One small step for Momo, one giant step for Liverpool:

his tackle on Ballack in the CS. I will remember that play forever.

owned!

11. bethwaite

bethwaite New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    ye loved that tackle he slapped that kraut right in the face i thjink we will miss him though and other teams will be releived especially the players who were told to mark him

12. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We need Momo back but the central midfield is an area for which we have decent cover. We're looking distinctly threadbare in defence, however. I'd normally curse an international break this early in the season but this time I'm thankful. It certainly gives us the chance to get an top of an injury list that was threatening completely to run away from us.

On positive news front, PhysioRoom has Warnock back by end of this week and Kewell on 2 September.

13. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy that'll sure help our defense :rolleyes:

14. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003