Alert: Mohawk Valley United, Utica NY

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by msilverstein47, Sep 11, 2008.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case there is anyone out there in the vicinity of Oneonta New York and want to see us make our official debut...here is our Men's Open tournament schedule according to the NSHOF:

Premier Team
    Sat. 10:00AM Field 1 vs. Rangers FC
    1:00PM Field 1 vs. LI Little Necks

Sun. 10:00AM Field 3 vs. Select Dragons

Reserve Team
    Sat. 11:30AM Field 1 vs. Select Dragons
    Sat. 2:30PM Field 1 vs. Rangers FC

Sun. 10:00AM Field IV vs. LI Little Necks

Sun. 1:00PM Semi-Finals
    Sun. 3:00PM Final

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mohawk Valley United Finishes Second at Hall of Fame Tournament

Mohawk Valley United Soccer Club opened its 2009 Campaign with a strong showing at the 2009 National Soccer Hall of Fame Legends of Summer Men’s Open Tournament June 6 – 7 in Oneonta, finishing second in a quality field of six teams.

In the first public match in its history, Mohawk Valley United battled through a tough 0 – 0 draw with eventual Champions Rangers FC. Then United began a three game winning streak, defeating LI Little Necks 2 – 0 on goals by Forward Justin Little of South Kortright and Defender Jason Conklin of Cooperstown. The United side finished first round play in stellar fashion by beating the Select Dragons 3 – 0. Goals were scored by Midfielder Adis Redzic of Utica, Forward Andrew Steates of New Hartford and Midfielder Osman Osman of Utica.

Seeded first in the playoffs, in the semi-final game, Mohawk Valley United once again faced the LI Little Necks and overwhelmed them with skillful ball control and unselfish passing. The final score was 3 – 0 and goals were tallied by Forward Armin Budjno of Utica and Jason Conklin and Andrew Steates each recorded their second goals of the tournament.

In the Championship round, the two teams considered the best in the tournament once again faced each other in a rugged and evenly matched struggle: Mohawk Valley United SC versus Rangers FC. For this final match, the Rangers called up a couple of particularly crafty forwards who would prove to be the difference in the game when coupled with a couple of questionable calls by the officials. The combo resulted in one direct free kick and a penalty kick being awarded to the opposition. The Rangers converted both opportunities into goals which proved to be the difference in the final and Mohawk Valley fell 2 – 0, missing a few scoring chances to narrow the gap late in the second half.

At the closing awards ceremony held in the National Soccer Hall of Fame main lobby, both the tournament director and Rangers FC captain paid tribute to the outstanding play and good sportsmanship displayed by the Mohawk Valley United SC side during the tournament. Mohawk Valley United Coach Geoff Moore also made special note of the four shutouts recorded by Goalkeeper Mike Davis of Otego supported by the intelligent on-field tackling and ball distributing made by Defender Dragan Mlikota of Syracuse.

3. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Wow, what a start!

Ah...officials...:p;)

Photos?

Great, great news!!!

4. ryanelguiri

ryanelguiri New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats! Nice to get off on a good start.

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Saturday 6/13 the MVUSC played the Coliseum Soccer Club to a 1-1 draw in their first home match during this 2009 summer exhibition season. Paid crowd was 237 which wasn't too bad for match played under some "iffy" weather conditions. We'll see if we can't get a win next weekend vs. Pocono Snow Reserves and maybe a few more folks at the gate for our next match on Sat 6/20 at 1:00pm.

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United, Coliseum play to 1-1 tie
    HERKIMER – The Mohawk Valley United Soccer Club earned a 1-1 draw in its exhibition home-opening match Saturday against Coliseum Soccer Club at Herkimer County Community College’s Wehrum Stadium.

United forward Armin Budjno of Utica scored early in the second half to give Mohawk Valley the lead. Budjno was the leading scorer for Thomas. R. Proctor last fall with 15 goals and 14 assists.

Former New Hartford standout Matt Pecheone tied the match four minutes later for Coliseum.
    The United will host the Pocono (Pa.) Snow of the National Premier Soccer League in its second exhibition at 1 p.m. Saturday at Wehrum Stadium.

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just rec'd word the good word from my GM that there are Bosnian players apparently coming to Herkimer County Community College all the way from Cleveland for our exhibition match this Saturday at 1:00pm. With the news that we finally be getting a break from the weather, I can almost guarantee that we will double our previous attendance numbers (237) from the Coliseum SC match. We shall see...but I'm hoping for 1,000...lol

8. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    1K would be nice! Still trying to convince the Mrs. to take an upstate drive this weekend...

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drove through countless upstate thunderstorms in order to get there...but it was all worth it as I'm glad to say MVUSC 3 - SC Sturlic 2. I was impressed with the mix of the crowd, some families, some senior citizens and some young folks sprinkled in. Crowd was about 250, again in pretty iffy weather.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We ended our 2009 exhibition season with a hard-fought 2-1 loss to the visiting Empire United Soccer Club (Syracuse NY) in front of about 125 spectators...all in all, I thought a tie would have been a fair result, but at times soccer can be a very unforgiving game...

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to apologize to everyone as I thought that I had posted the last team update here. We lost our final exhibition match a couple of weeks ago to Empire United out of Syracuse 2-1 in a tightly contested match. MVUSC dominated a very long stretch of the 1st half but lost a one goal lead with 2 very quick goals against coming just after the halftime interval. Our final exhibition record was 1-1-1 (not including the NSHOF tournament). I brought the entire family up to Utica and we had a great time on the Erie Canal Cruise and the Utica Zoo. But the indoor pool at the Utica Radisson was the biggest hit of all. Of course the $89 discounted room rate was really good for Dad too...we should know on 10/24 if we'll be an approved NPSL expansion franchise so keep your fingers crossed!

12. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    A noble dream. A noble effort.

13. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tough luck guys. If I find a couple of hundred grand down the back of the sofa, I'll be in touch.

14. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    That is unfortunate, Mark. I was looking forward to getting out to a few games. If I had the money I would help out, but I really don't. I hope something can turn around for you and the Utica area. I'll be in touch, though.

15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Cobi: I really had fun this summer going up to the Mohawk Valley and the team that we had really looked pretty good. It's unfortunate that my business partner couldn't back up the financial promises that were made, but in this economic climate things change. There is a very small chance that we might move the project down to Oneonta, but it's pretty unlikely and it wouldn't be until 2011 anyways. But I'll keep lurking around these parts and feel free to PM me anytime.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Soccer has scheduled a 3pm conference call to discuss the resolution of the conflict between the USL and NASL, a conflict that led U.S. Soccer to reject both leagues' applications for approval as second-division leagues last week.

The USSF is expected to announce the formation of a combined league that will operate in 2010. There are no details yet on how the league will operate, or who will run it.

18. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Yup, sad news for upstate residents and for US soccer fans.

My cousin had to leave her position there two weeks ago. I think it's completely ridiculous to close it down and can't believe the USSF couldn't find a way to keep it open.

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The National Soccer Hall of Fame and Museum may move some of its exhibits to a Major League Soccer stadium in Kansas.
    The Kansas City Wizards have had preliminary discussions to move the exhibits to the Wizards’ new soccer-specific stadium, which is slated to open next year in Wyandotte County, Kan., according to The Kansas City Star.
    The Hall closed the museum in Oneonta in September as it seeks to overcome financial difficulties. A final, free admission weekend was held in March.
    The move is being pushed by the Wizards, the Kansas City, Kan.-based National Soccer Coaches Association of America and other groups in the area, according to the Kansas City Star.
    The Wizards played home games at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo., from 1996 to 2007 before moving to CommunityAmerica Ballpark in Kansas City, Kan.
    Kansas City, Kan., is also home to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America, which, according to the Kansas City Star, has already retrieved items it owns from the Hall’s collections.
    Kansas City is among the 18 cities in the country included in U.S. Soccer’s bid to host the 2018 or 2022 World Cup.

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States