Moderators Who Troll!

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by CTS26, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Why do you say that - it's used as a nickname fairly often no?

2. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me I will not be visiting Mexican forums any longer. I only went there because I like the Aguilas and then the word Gringo caught me eye. It's funny how it is OK for the Moderators to slam you but when you say something back, they hit you with an infraction. Hence, the reason I am carrying a yellow card.

3. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another reason why Sid has thrown infractions on me is because his Colombian team got pounded by Peru and I stated the fact to him.[​IMG]

4. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    [​IMG]

El gringo Castro..

[​IMG]

El gringo torres.

gringo is not a negative term..

5. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    even here in Arizona.. ( and you know the situation)

"dos gringos" is always packed at ASU..

[​IMG]

6. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Most English dictionaries describe it as pejorative.

I understand it is not really considered as such by Spanish speakers within their own cultural context, but the same can be said about many words transplanted into other languages.

7. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    hmmmm. why would Gringo be in an English dictionary?

Anyone who speaks English doesn't use the word.

8. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    That's not true. Gringo is used by people posting in English on BigSoccer all the time.

9. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can try to paint what ever picture you want but Torres being nick named Gringo in not an OK thing. Mexicans from Mexico came up with it because he plays for the US and everybody knows that Mexicans do not like their players playing for the US. Even though, there is only a few that has a chance to make the team.
    [​IMG]
    Look the Chupacabra must be real because the restaurant is packed ever night.

10. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    and most are spanish speaking.. right?

11. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    apples and naranjas buddy.

Im saying that if "gringo" was sooooooooo controversial in english..

you would think because of atmosphere here in phoenix ..
    such a popular BAR named "dos Gringos" would be out of business.

Belive me. I live in Arizona.. i have never heard anyone get offended by the term gringo

and this is why you have no idea what you are talking about. Mexicans gave Gringo torres the nickname because they don't like Americans??

explain GRINGO CASTRO.. played for the National team.. you might remember him...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk85GHLHPS4"]‪Jose Antonio "Gringo" Castro- Goal Celebration vs USA‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Why would we nickname him something Negative?? just stop.
    even the the dudes from Univision.. " Gringo Gringo golllllaaazzzooooo"

12. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    That doesn't matter. The fact is that it has entered into the English vernacular as a pejorative word, regardless of how it's viewed in Spanish.

The offensiveness of a word is determined by the person it is addressed to, not the person using it. To take an example from my own cultural context, Australians are chronic for developing/taking to shortened slang names for different nationalities - Aussies, Kiwis, Poms, Jocks, Yanks, Japs, Pakis, Saffers, Micks, Frogs. They are descriptive, even affectionate, and certainly not intended or taken with any degree of offence.

That said, I would never use some of these slang names outside of my own cultural context, because in many other cultures they're extremely offensive. That includes on BigSoccer, given the diversity of cultures here.

It would make sense to me that Gringo would be avoided for similar reasons. If you are talking in English on an English-language website to people from cultures where the word is viewed as pejorative, it would seem to make sense to me that you would avoid using it for that reason.

Just as you would expect an American to avoid using the seemingly-inoffensive (from their perspective) indian/indio to refer to indigenous peoples from your own country.

13. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    I do see your point Sir.

But let me counter If i may.

AS some of you may know Im from Arizona. I have been here for most of my life.
    when someone says "he hired a mexican" to you, it probably means a person from mexico... but here, It doesn't have the same meaning.

I grew up with the term mexican being a negative term. "Those Mexicans" didn't mean, "those people from the country of Mexico" it usually meant "those illegals"

I know when someone types "you mexicans are obnoxious" i don't get upset because i know they are not referring to mexican as illegals..

so do the same.. I don't think anyone here is using gringo in a negative way.. we name our own players gringos,, and maybe it bothers you a bit.. and Im sorry if it does, i don't know when it became a negative term. but just know that it does not have a hint of anything negative when we use it.

don't know if it helps..

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only when spoken by Gringos. :D

It also means "those from El Salvador, or Guatamala, or Costa Rica, or Columbia," etc.

Grew up in LA - know what you're talking about.

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to whom? In England, Giovanni dos Santos has been nicknamed Jonny two saints. A few Mexican posters said that was offensive, but it was only them.

They're not?

16. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    When I see USA fans holding up scarfs that read "Los Gringos" on one side, that tells me the word is okay. If a website in the US sells those scarfs for USA fans then the word is okay.

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then I'm gonna start using Ni99a, like my favorite rapstar, IceCube does. I'm sure no one will take issue with it.

18. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That word you wrote, who started using it with that spelling first? White people or black people?

Come on Warmth, you really see "gringo" as an insult? You're even more sensitive than some of the Mexico fans you accuse of being sensitive. Relax, gringo is not an insult.... we Mexicans should know since we made up the damn word.

19. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First I would like to Thank You for your honesty on seeing both sides of the word. For example, SoccerNut does not see it as offensive and so regardless if anyone else does...it doesn't matter to him. The best example I can give here is when Aguirre in National press conference referred to US fans as Gringo's, then quickly corrected himself and said Americano's. He would never have corrected himself if there was nothing wrong. Again, it is nice to here Moderator address the manner with honesty...Instead of people like Sidspaceman and Soccernut that stirs the pot without any consequences. Your honesty is greatly appreciated.

20. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I so wish I could put you on my ignore list...but I can't. So I guess I just have to pretend your not there like the movie " Beautiful Mind."

[​IMG]

21. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Except there's nothing beautiful about your mind. You want to put everyone that doesn't agree with you on the ignore list. Big man.

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wrote a letter to them and they responded by saying they are going to change the website to "Futbol for Caucasians." Thanks for that, I don't troll racist websites...I'm glad your familiar with them.

24. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wrote a letter to them and they responded by saying they are going to change the website to "Futbol for Caucasians." Thanks for that, I don't troll racist websites...I'm glad you're familiar with them.:cool:

25. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol...you don't troll racist websites? Ha! Just Big Soccer, right? :rolleyes:

Get over it, gringo. You act like that website is recruiting future KKK members - all they are doing is promoting "soccer" in the US of A.

By the way, are you saying all "Americans" are Caucasian...???

[​IMG]