Moderators Who Troll!

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by CTS26, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry but I can't hold this in anymore, why is it that there are mods who troll and tend to get away scout free while someone who isn't a mod gets a warning or an infraction or worst a yellow card/red card?

I have one person in mind and his name is Various Styles .

Believe me there are other mods like him and most are Mexmods, never the less am I the only one that has a problem with this?

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, just read the last couple of pages of the thread I think you have in question:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1741278

With that, there are several questionable posts, yet you only complain about VS. Okay.

Did you report any of those posts?
    If not, did you PM the moderator of the forum in which the posts were made?
    Did you "feed the troll?"

With that said, you made some questionable statements at least in the few pages that I read. Of note, you said:
    I think you'll find, outside of the US (largely) and Europe (due to number of rivals) that people within confederations largely cheer on teams from the same confederation. IOW, If Brasil is eliminated, their fans will cheer on Argentina. It is only here in the US that, notably, we do not cheer on Mexico if we are eliminated.

Now, without my commentary, you are trolling the Mexican posters a bit yourself with comments like that above. Fair play and all, but those comments were made at, what, 2:45am LA time when this thread was created. Geez, report the post(s) and go to sleep.

3. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Sorry to jump on the bandwagon, but there are a few mods who always troll. No doubt this thread will end up with a fair share of these same trolling mods very soon.

4. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moderators are a stupidface.

5. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your calling what I posted there Trolling then you seriously need help. How the hell can I be trolling when I'm on the USMNT Thread? I mods have to stick up for there own I guess, so tell if your saying I'm feeding the troll then how come even when Mod trolls are ignored they continue to troll without being punished for it?

You say that I should report mods who are trolling but you fail to realize that even if I was to report mod trolls(even though I have tried) it will always fall on deaf ears I created this thread simply because I'm sure there's a lot of people here that's had the same bad experiences that I have had in BS when it comes to Mod trolls and the fact your sticking up for one proves my point.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't always fall on deaf ears. Raising specific issues through reported posts exposes the question not just to the forum mods, but to the SuperMods and admins as well. Usually these are left to the forum mods to deal with - and to raise issues higher up the chain if need be - but we can and do become involved. In several instances over the past 12 months, we have de-modded someone for repeated or egregious trolling, though we attempt (as we do with regular users as well) to reign in such behavior first rather than go right for the extreme option.

But we need your assistance on the reporting side of things.

To other mods who may read this, I suggest that whether or not CTS26 was trolling is beside the point - mods are not then "freed" to troll themselves regardless. Let's focus on the issue at hand; I'd prefer to do so broadly rather than specifically with VS, as I imagine other folks may also be frustrated. Keep in mind as you do that we may indeed decide there's "nothing to see" in a particular instance.

7. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    [​IMG]

8. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    the word trolling is misinterpreted here and in latinamerican forums very often!!

I see mods that question many things, they do NOT encourage discussions (heated ones or not) that is essence of any forum!!!

questions in several thrads = promote discussion and educate some posters that do not have interest in the topic, yet, some one may know about it and is all good......

antagonistic....is a word they use to stop the course of heated debate
    sarcasams.....kill good conversations, they mind the lil faces, the forum give us to use :rolleyes:....like if there is a real meaning on them!!!!

moticons....are not part of the problem, is understanding the culture of each forum and the love of the game.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bullshit! VS was trolling (though I should have said so in the initial post). You are trying to infer that Latin American posters should be treated differently in non Latin American forums. I will give you half of my family and friends (the Latin American half) that knows they are likely to get a reaction out of me by saying the things VS said. They know this. So they don't say it unless they are badgering me. IOW, they can control what they say, and understand context. What you infer is that Latin American posters on BS cannot infer context nor can they control their posting.

Agreed. Yet, as had been pointed out in this thread, mods are held to a higher standard.

As for my opinion, VS should not have weighed in to the conversation. That said, he is not the BigSoccer Bot, AND what was posted was in a rivalry thread. Thus, some leeway should be given. Along with the protocol of reporting post, etc.

10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why, for the love of God, do we have a rivalry thread in the US Men's Fora?

The "banter" that goes on there would get you carded in BSMX fora, but somehow it has to be tolerated in the US Fora? I though WR and the other Rivalry forums were created for putting junk like this in?

As for Mods trolling, well, we all know it happens and to some degree, why it happens. If you can bait someone into coming back to your fortress and bait them into a TOS violation, you can infract them, "fix" their posts, etc.

11. Dignan23

Dignan23 Member+

Jul 6, 2001
    Fort Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I joined this website ten years ago, and Various Styles was trolling the crap out of this website back then. And now I see that he's still doing it today, but he's still here.

Is Various Styles the Latino version of Mr. Warmth?

12. Estevo

Estevo Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The I to the E!
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shouldn't moderators be held to higher standards of conduct than the average joe troll on the street?

14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't some posters grow a skin?

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think its about "growing a skin." It's about inconsistent moderation and moderators imposing punishments for acts they themselves take part in. NO one here cares about feelings.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but it doesn't mean we have to be, or are, perfect.

Also, read the thread.

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No-one's asking for perfection. Just reasonable behavior by paid professionals.

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I see where you've erred: no one is paid for their moderation work.

19. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that explains a lot. thank you.

20. TallTowerMan

TallTowerMan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I've never seen an infraction given by Various Styles in my 4 years on this board.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course. We all have to sign a pledge not to smoke, drink or commit adultery. Sucks.

22. Dignan23

Dignan23 Member+

Jul 6, 2001
    Fort Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Wait, so all mods are required to join the Mormon Church?

23. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess he's just a softie.

On not petty.

24. TallTowerMan

TallTowerMan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Well, there are any number of reasons. You would have to ask VS for the exact reason(s). I was simply responding to the point that Mods that punish for things they themselves do does not apply to Mr. Styles.

25. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's better at direct responses in my estimation.