News: Mod "retiring" - New opening, find out more within.

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, May 11, 2011.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am moving in a few days and will be taking a new job that is likely to involve lots of overtime at first. I don't expect to be able to spend as much time online - or at least I don't expect to be online as regularly once it starts. So I've told BS I cannot be expected to moderate the Brazil forums anymore.

These forums are pretty solid - I always want more activity but I'm extremely happy with the quality of posters here - however I don't know who might want to join Mengao86 and mod the forums! So tell me do you want to be a Brazil forums mod? If so, express interest here and I'll follow-up to get the "application" started.

Read on to find out more or post a question if you have one that's not addressed:

- Moderating is a volunteer position. Bigsoccer has admins (also volunteers), supermods and mods. All of these have the power to move, close and generally edit threads in an effort to keep things on-topic and move discussions along.

If you mod the Brazil forums here's what you'll likely end up doing:

- Open a thread whenever Brazil plays and encourage people to move the game discussion there. Close the thread or at least unsticky it later on as the discussion moves back to general in between game stuff.

- Check your e-mail! Did someone report a post in your forums? If they did, check it out and deal with it.
    - This could mean: editing the post to remove profanity;
    - Moving the post to the recycle bin.
    - Sending a PM to the poster to inform them their behavior is over the line (or to the person who reported the post if you want to explain why it was/wasn't dealt with)
    - Or, finally infracting the poster - giving him a warning or actual infraction for violating the ToS or moderator requests.

As a new mod I'd encourage you to post in the mod forums if you're not sure what to do. I will also be happy to offer input when I am on.

- Make sure threads in general stay on topic. If they don't you can close them, split them up (old topic and new topic) or request that posters get back on topic depending on what seems appropriate for that topic.

- Promote good posting habits - people cant post articles without a link for example.

EDIT: Basically just check in, make sure things are running well and help posters make this a good forum (use the report post function, don't complain in threads!). These forums have low-traffic (specially compared to Politics, US soccer etc) so you wouldn't be doing this every day - I haven't had a reported post in forever and I haven't had to edit something since the Brazil x Scotland game. Ideally you should speak (well, read) Portuguese. I see a lot of new posters in the Clubs sub-forum, it would be great to see some of you ask questions here if you're interested.

Oh and you don't have to be as active or as verbose as me, I talk way too much! Ask questions if you have them, let us know if you want to help out and let's keep the Brazil forums active! And we could take more than 1 mod, so don't hesitate if someone else posts first!

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good post, Ombak! Sad to see you go, but I think we have some capable people out there willing to help out.

3. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    I'd be intrested in taking one of the open mod slot's, i've been here for around 5/6 years. So i can't say i've got any questions regarding the position tbh.

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sending you a PM Ribo.

Anyone else have questions? Interest?

5. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    I can't mod - but I wish you the best of luck and success in your new job/career/home! You have been a very good mod! Lets go BRASIL 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    that's too bad. you will be missed in your moderating duties. :)

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I dunno, maybe the poster who got so pissed at me that he made a sock called "ombakisafascist" will come back, that'd be great!!!

8. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I really liked your work here too, Ombak, come back soon!

I considered becoming a mod once,but I don't want to change the status quo I guess.

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well think about this: Mengao is a flamenguista, so am I, Alex who was formerly a mod here is also from Rio iirc.

Why not have a little SP representation? Like I said, not much happens, you just kep things on track.

Regardless of whether you change your mind and want to apply or not, I appreciate the kind words! (Now coming to you from Irvine, CA - I guess I should change my profile location).

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think leonidas, celito and Century's Best would be good candidates given their seniority, are Brazilian, good command of the English language, rationality, activity, etc. Unfortunately, I'm under the impression that neither of them are interested based on lack of interest in the position in the past.

11. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I second that. All the 3 guys are Brasilian and they know english very well. I think a Brasilian mod is better because they will get a lot more of the inside talk than a foreign guy would.

12. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Are you not putting yourself up for selection, CG? We need a kind, considerate, understanding, non-opionated homem without a hint of bias here..........

13. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    HAHAHAAHAHAHA

That would ruin it for me. I have a lot of fun talking crap. This here is one of the few places where I can vent. I don't want to come here to be the mon-fri me.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Mengão86, I appreciate the nomination but I'm going to decline. I don't spend as much time on BigSoccer as I once did - time doesn't allow me. I do participate in the Libertadores forums and will probably be around for when the Copa América takes place, but I cannot honor the community with a solid time commitment at this time. You guys deserve someone who would be dedicated - and I'm not in a position to give you that dedication.

15. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    I am amazed no one has nominated me.

16. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ohhh tadinho do Denilson... :p

I think we have many good posters here that could be mods.

Good luck Ombak with your new job! You did a great job here on the site.

17. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    ..............I was just waiting for the negative responses to come in.......yours is the first of many no doubt!!

18. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hehe I'm not negative at all;)

I think you're good poster here on the Brazil page, just as many others.

19. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    No worries, amigo. I am not interested. I still think CG ought to get it - the Uruguayans and Argentinians will come here in their thousands because my former sparring partner loves them so much!!

On a serious note, I will still be one of the 'Selecao men' - that is my passion.

20. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good luck Ombak, but we’re sure we will see your excellent strategic opinions on here, especially during the selecao games.

I also am not currently interested as I cannot see myself going against everything I stand for by editing, cutting, removing, penalizing and censuring individuals that express themselves in a certain way, or are considered “controversial”, not to mention the fact I spend 60 days of the year in Rio, and during that period my computer is non existent (the Cariocas just take to much of my time).

But I am sure somebody will step up for the position.

21. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    Send me to Rio on those 60 days! No problem!!!!

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wouldn't mind doing it but I am not sure I will have much either. Plus, I don't really follow the Brasileirao too closely anymore.

How many hours have you been spending moderating Ombak ?

BTW ... you're moving to Irvine ? Lucky you. I used to go there for work once every 2 months and there are some very nice areas there. Good luck on your new job ... I might have to visit you sometime. :D

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You wouldn't really have to worry about that. I can take care of that section.

24. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    I vote for Celito! Celito is a highly respected Brasilian soccer genius and a good communicator, he wil teach us all more about Brasil soccer. :D