MLSUnderground Blog

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by metroflip73, Jul 27, 2007.

1. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports that Reyna MAY retire at the end of the season.

What happens with the DP slot?

Many questions that are gonna be asked. First, is this f***ing true?

2. cwt9

cwt9 New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Re: MLSUndergroung Blog

I hope he does.

He's certainly not worth the $1 million+ salary.

Maybe he'll retire sooner and free up some of the cap for the playoffs.

3. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wishful thinking, but I can't blame you. Honestly, I can't.

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Just for reference: just a little over two months ago, with NY in much better form than now, I asked twelve people if Reyna was worth the salary he was getting. All but one said yes. Times have changed plenty.

I always thought he wasn't (and I didn't have a vote in that question). The problem that most NY fans have is that there really isn't anyone right now to replace him in midfield.

5. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It would be just amazing if he would retire. Then we could use that DP on a better player and somebody who is worth the salary. Reyna is way past it. He has been garbage all year. Please retire.

6. mercury3164

mercury3164 Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Manhattan

Screw the DP slot for now if he does retire...we can wait a while on that until someone becomes interested/available who we are positive will be WORTH THE DOUGH. What we should be doing is finding a YOUNG talent for a midfield spot creative playmaker...that's why KC and DALLAS are WAY SMARTER THAN US. TOJA and MARINELLI these are the kinds of signings we need...I'm so sick of these old decrepit signings of Youri Reyna WATERUES USELESS F.UCK THAT that's like donadoni '96 bullshit like signing my damn grandfather to play left back!! GIVE ME SOME PLAYMAKING CREATIVE TALENT THAT CAN ACTUALLY RUN BEAT PEOPLE AND PLAY HARDER AND WON'T LEAVE THE TEAM AFTER 1 YEAR! And secondly STOP TRADING AWAY OUR BEST DEFENDERS. Next thing you know we'll trade away parke and mendes like we did DUNNY and WYNNE. WYNNE WAS BETTER ON THE WINGS THAN RICHARDS RICHARDS SUCKS. DUNIVANT I CAN'T EVEN FATHOM THAT TRADE STILL.

f.uck reyna

7. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

May 14, 2007
    Edison, NJ

OK, here's a fun question: who would you spend on that DP slot? Before you throw out all the great #10s of the world, ask yourself, "Would they come to NYRB in MLS?"

8. mercury3164

mercury3164 Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Manhattan

i'd rather just use the DP on someone like schevchenko who wants to come play in US or a great vet defender and get a young talented "#10" for our midfield like i said someone akin to a marinelli for KC.

9. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

I thought he retired last night.

10. bri8733

bri8733 New Member

May 8, 2007
    dirty jerz

I wish Marvell was still part of this club. I hope he doesn't embarass us next game.

11. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think he's injured at the moment, in addition to Sutton and Jeff Cunningham. Let's hope that the team rests up, get the starters back in there and sack the f*** up and beat Toronto.

12. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007

This is why discussions here are so frenetic. It's almost like people can't look beyond 1 or 2 performances on BigSoccer.

Let me guess, Reyna has a great match against Toronto and all of a sudden Claudio will have 'found his form, just needed to adjust to the league and is worth the million bucks he is getting paid. It's inevitable.

13. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ

I think the heat and turf have taken it's tole on Reyna. The man's obvisouly not made of steel. He's had some good games for us. His last game was atrocious. Next year, he should drop his DP status and make more around $100,000 - $150,000 (wishful thinking). Then we can hold onto him. He can still play well but I don't think he can play at a high level in these conditions for a very extended period of time. Can we call it at least a sign that he's no longer wearing the captain's arm band?

14. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would have told you no, if you would have asked me. Even an idiot DC fan could have seen that what we needed was a great Creative Midfielder DP, not a Defensive Midfielder DP. We already had Dema and Stammler to fill in just in case. I even argued that we should have gotten a great Center Back DP instead of Reyna.

And some quotes from the MLS Underground Blog:

Here's the direct link:

Red Bulls: Where Does The Franchise Go From Arena?