MLSnet since Beckham's knee

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Alejandro 10, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be less going into MLSnet since David hurt his knee. If I am remembering correctly, every time the flash changed to the next highlighted piece there were different videos and articles under the news section to the right. It seems that the league might have cut back since the Beckham's injury.

If I am just going a little crazy call me on it, but his coming did make a splash and with Blanco, Ángel and now Denilson some of that momentum has kept going outside of our subculture. The league is going to have to keep up the little details for the snowball effect to really happen. Given, that explosion to mainstream culture is not destine to happen for a few years, but it does start now.

Ultimately, I know that MLS is not everything we all want it to be and it can't be at this point, but when it show those glimmers of greatness to come it is difficult to allow the finer details to run off in hiding to wait for the bright lights to shine again.

2. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, personally, hadn't noticed anything different. But, that's just me.

3. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham
    I noticed a change for the better.

Prior to the knee injury, you'd be able to count 3-5 Beckham pictures on the page, now it's more like 1 or 2. It's really bush league to have one poster boy (one who hasn't even played that much) for your entire league. It's fine if the galaxy page wants to be biased, but could you imagine if NLF.com or whatever their site is had 3-5 pictures of Reggie Bush, and random pictures of other players?

4. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    MintyDude,

You're right. I hadn't really thought about that issue within what I said earlier. In light of what you pointed out it seems that MLSnet/the league was unwilling to shift that energy to rest of the league. It all brings to mind that money talks and with the injury the money hobbled off the field. Do you think there is a chance they will change their strategy when he comes back or just spread extra frosting and make things icky sweet all over again. ESPN has already said they will handle the Beckham-cam with less zeal in the future will the league do the same?

5. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham
    I think as buzz dies down, we'll have our old MLS back, including MLSnet