MLSNet.com Redesigned

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Sean Donahue, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I've lived with this redesign for several days now and I've come a definite conclusion: it stinks.

It's hard to navigate and visually forgettable. The scoreboard stinks. The standings really stink. All the different sections appear visually identical on the front page. Nothing catches your focus.

Seriously, what web-design flunky created that cluttered, hard-to-read mess?

2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I was reading this I couldn't help but hear the name John Guppy quietly echoing in my head. Don't know why.

Wait, yes I do. I've come to associate any utter and complete failure to do one's job with John Guppy.

For example, I was off on Friday and to catch up today I made a list of things I needed to do. Here it is, late in the day (60-90 minutes left) and I still haven't gotten any of it done. Well, that isn't true, I managed to knock out the really small, trivial stuff like dusting my desk and taking the "away" message off my phone around noonish. Ah well, there is always tomorrow.

3. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the flash animation on the main page still doesn't work for me, and i've now tried it in mozilla. this is frustrating.

but i guess that just means the status quo remains... forsake mlsnet for bigsoccer because they absolutely suck.

:rolleyes:

4. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Ditto. The standings are the most important content on the site and it should be displayed prominently.

The need to click on a tab to see the hidden conference is insane!

5. GooolGolGool

GooolGolGool New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like it. Too busy. Fonts is a bit small. Everything so scattered. I rate it 2 out of 5.

6. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

Like others have mentioned, I liked the previous standings table, especially the number of games played. Similarly, the Golden Boot should have kept the number of games played, and assists. I wrote them asking if there's a way to revert back to the previous format and haven't received a reply. :(

7. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the most part, I don't mind the change. But it's not like I was using MLSnet as my homepage or anything. I generally read about a story here on BS first.

However, I would click over to the site and take a quick glance at the standings every now and then, or check and see who's playing the Thursday game. I really really hate how I now have to click a tab to get Western Conference standings.

8. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Hilarious. The change from logos to names in the results area is the biggest improvement. Most of the logos are indecipherable. I could never figure out who certain teams were without resting the pointer over the logo till the name came up. The written word is much easier to figure out. It also takes a lot less space, which has allowed for better placement of other things. Having the standings and scoring table on the main page are a big plus too.

9. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    They were always there and actually had more details on the old site then they do now...

10. nedigital

nedigital Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Mass
    The site is definitely way too busy now. That seems to be the #1 rule of good web design is not pulling the reader's eye in too many directions. Besides the feature story, it's so scattered and weird...The related headlines for each story are so tiny; how could anyone really read them? I wonder if they're checking these boards...

11. Stumpy Kelderman

Oct 12, 2004
    I'm experiencing the same problem. I've tried it in Internet Explorer, Netscape, and Firefox and nothing will load the Flash, even though I have Flash 9... Very very frustrating indeed. Anyone have any ideas?

12. Simster

Simster Member

May 16, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On the subject of mlsnet.com, I'd love to know whether they monitor the number of hits they get. I think it would be interesting to know how site traffic has changed in the past 4 or 5 years. Anyone have any idea?

13. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSnet people ... if you're reading this: your scoreboard and standings need to be the two most visible things on the entire webpage. by far. as logic follows, any changes you make to your design must result in these two entities being easier to read/access.

you re-designed your entire webpage and made these two things LESS visible. who's idea was that? just think ... don't try to reinvent the wheel. checking the scoreboard and looking at the standings -- those are the only two reasons i frequent MLSnet. that and looking at the video. i actually find that I'm going to blogs to find the latest standings -- the Du Nord one has one single table that is readible and makes sense. if you're losing readership to personal blogs for something as simple as the standings ... then obviously you're doing something wrong.

14. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=http://mlsnet.com

Steady growth, and you can see an obvious "Beckham Spike" in Jan 07.

Also note top countries who visit site:

US
    Canda
    UK
    Mexico
    Argentina

15. dreadedbhoy

dreadedbhoy New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Brighton
    Ugggh,
    Just finally got round to subscribing to mlslive.tv and some numpty has decided it would be a good idea to give the scores underneath the media player. >.< so stupid , dissapointing

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Problem solved: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446

17. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
  18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Am I the only one seeing an ad on the front page?

19. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    nope. singlesnet is the ad I see. the site also has pop-unders which is ridiculous for a "major" organization.

20. amavel

amavel New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they were offered a hefty amount for that ridiculous advertisement. So much for wanting a wholesome reputation, e.g. no hard liquor jersey sponsors. It's ugly and shouldn't be in the center of the page.

EDIT: I right clicked the ad and selected "block images from mlb.mlb" or something along those lines. An ad for MLSlive.tv replaced it.

21. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Okay I don't remember a big add for "Singles in your area" square in the middle of the leagues website yesterday. C'mon MLS are you kidding me with this??:eek: :mad:

22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nope. Check out the attachment. I've gotten the popunder before, but not this time.

What a friggin' joke. Talk about Mickey Mouse.

23. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    Singlesnet MLS First Division renaming here we come!

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm all about Melissa. Katy's got something going, but Tiffany... uh...not for me.

25. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't seem to like Firefox which sucks because I won't/don't use the craptacular IE.