MLSnet.com name the team mock poll results

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by mlshouston, Dec 23, 2005.

1. mlshouston

mlshouston New Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Houston
    Let's keep our own running tab until the announcement. Everyone pick the name you voted for, and tell us why if you like.

I, personally, preferred Rovers or Republic to everything on the poll. I'd guess you'd say I settled on Houston 1836.

2. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    Houston 1836.

3. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I saw the poll and refused to vote because I think the name should be something that represents the city of Houston. I'm not from there so I don't want to have any kind of impact on the results. I hope I'm not in the minority here.

FWIW, I don't think Real Salt Lake was an option for the SLC poll a year and a half ago.

4. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like Apollos, Eagles, Generals, and Houston 1836. They each have some connection to Houston, although 1836 would sound weird as a sports team name to most people in Houston who aren't already soccer fans and would require some explanation. I voted for Eagles, but I'd be relieved to see any one of those four.

5. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the way Rovers sounds , but I chose Houston 1836.

6. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Houston 1836..does the 1836 have any significance at all ?

7. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1836 refers to the year Texas gained independence from Mexico.

I voted for Houston 1836. A couple of those names were truly awful. Gatos? I understand if they want a name that appeals to the Hispanic community but can we still keep it an English word?

8. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    oh sh!t thats true...id almost forgot...i do like this name the best..my second fave was gatos.. : :D

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The City of Houston was also founded in 1836. ;)

10. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long is the MLSnet poll going to be open for? Or does anyone know when the team name and contest winner will be chosen officially?

Edit: Never mind the first question. It's 5:00 on January 6th

11. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Gatos? Cats? It's still awful. Even in Spanish that's just horrible.

12. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted the buffaloes...because I like the animal and think it'd be a good logo. Houston 1836 is probably a better choice though. Independence is my favorite, but not on the list.

Lame that they only had 16 choices. But who knows maybe it has already been decided between a few choices and their now waiting on some feedback.

I think Houston had the Apollos as a minor league hockey team back in the 80's. That is the only space themed name I could tolerate though.

13. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I voted for Apollos....then I used my wife's email address for Houston 1836. :D

14. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Texans vote early and often. :D

[​IMG]

15. nosnehpets

nosnehpets New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I voted for Houston 1836. I had suggested Toros initially, but really it's been used a fair amount in Texas already - San Antonio minor league football, current Austin D-League basketball team, not to mention the Texans mascot. Toros just felt a bit overused.

I didn't realize that the City of Houston was founded in 1836. With that and Texas independence from Mexico, that's a pretty solid connection. To meet the requirements for a plural name to use for the sportwriters, it's an easy leap to 36ers. There are several year-based teams in Germany, though it looks like most are from the year in which the club was founded. Still. Houston 1836 looks unique, it's reasonable for soccer, and it's not just a borrowed regurgitated name - a solid winner in my (irrelevant) mind.

Now, about that stadium situation, the public/private funding, and the local fan support - that's where I see the biggest challenge. I'm in Austin, so I won't be a part of the local scene, but I wish you guys luck.

16. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voted with mine, my wife's and my mother-in-law's... :D Once for 1836, twice for Lonestars.

17. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The year of Texas Independence from Mexico, when Texas became a Republic (a sovereign nation) until 1845 when it was annexed into the United States.

18. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the sound of the '36ers.

19. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see I was among the majority with Houston 1836, and I don't even plan on going to see a game.

20. Mississippi_Chivas

Dec 9, 2005
    Choctaw, MS
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Houston Independiente 1836

Texas Independiente 1836

21. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Houston 1836

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Texas we have a very unique heritage. Texas is where old school Spanish ways met up and coming U.S. southern culture to form a very special mix. I've liked the 1836 tie in for our new club ever since we lost our old USL D-3 Houston Hurricanes back in 2001.

I figured that our culture had to bleed through in the crest and name. After that, I just saw 1836 as a perfect cornerstone for a great franchise.

23. time_drifter

time_drifter Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Wharton
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but I think all of these names suck! The thought behind Houston 1836 is good, but there's got to be a better name out there for the same idea.

24. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Rovers was better.

*pouts*

25. orbie

orbie New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Austin
    Rovers or 1836. Rovers has a good sound.