News: MLSE gives TFC FO green light to acquire DP

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by jpg75, Nov 11, 2008.

1. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Toronto FC gets OK to sign top player

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/534390

After presenting their 2009 business plan to the MLSE board of directors, Toronto FC brass officially have the green light to sign the club's first designated player...

I think this just goes to prove that MLSE only cares about money. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH :rolleyes:

2. alphamale111

alphamale111 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Toronto

or they have committed to building a franchised that can win and is marketable.....

funny how some people will see MLSE as the worst owners for a football team - no matter what they say.

How do you think this will prove MLSE only cares about money? Other than the fact they are a profit driven corporation....

3. davidsanchez157

Oct 30, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    well said, i truly agree
    if they want to bring big players, its not just money driven, we need big names, to have a big franchise and a big league

4. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Alphamale 111 -> sarcasm 101 = F.

5. smenge

smenge New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    right, and ticket prices will come down in 2010.

6. I suspect the master plan involves keeping demand high with a DP so stadium expansion realistically comes into play.

7. vita666420

vita666420 New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Scarborough
  8. If he is no longer good enough for a struggling Championship side in England I don't think he merits a DP signing.

9. vita666420

vita666420 New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Scarborough
    True, I just watched a video on the 99 Treble which may have influenced my decision... Not to get in this debate again, but I'm of the opinion that the Championship is much better than the MLS. But yeah I guess it would be nice if we could get a world-class player, but i hope Mo is keeping tabs on him incase we can't pull in someone else.

10. It's very difficult to make direct comparisons between MLS and the Championship because the way the rosters are constructed is very different. I suspect the top 6 players or so on a typical MLS roster would do well in the Championship, another 6 or so would hold their own, while most of the rest wouldn't even be close because there isn't the same quality in depth. Andy Cole at 33 or 34 when he was still also ran team in the Premiership sort of quality would have been worth a look as a DP. Now he would probably be more into Romario at Miami FC sort of territory if he moved to North America. :)

11. alphamale111

alphamale111 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Toronto

lol - I took your meaning to be MLSE cares about money. Same old, same old.

I've never received an "F" before - now I'm sad

Andy Cole..... hmmmmm, interesting.
    Kind of agree with BringBackThe Blizzard on this one.

12. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was making a joke because it seems these days that everyone just loves to rip on MLSE, about how they only care about money and won't spend $$$ and all those other false assumptions!

13. v00d00daddy

v00d00daddy Member

May 22, 2007
    Toronto
    How about we wait until MLSE actually spends the money before we give them credit for doing something they haven't done yet?

14. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Whether they "spend the money" is no longer up to them. The business plan is approved and the money is on the table for Mo Johnston to use, the only reason we wouldn't be getting a DP now is if Mo fails to sign one.

15. v00d00daddy

v00d00daddy Member

May 22, 2007
    Toronto
    Yes, but I would hope that the business plan for 2009 includes more than the "go ahead" for a DP. There are a lot of places where MLSE can spend some money to make the TFC experince better. Will they all translate into more money for MLSE? Probably, because that's the way they operate.

I think people get upset with MLSE because it seems that the "make money" philosophy is much more important than the "produce a good product" philosophy. I don't begrudge MLSE for making money; they are a business and that's what they're supposed to do. I just ask the question: Will they ever do anything that helps the club without ensuring that there are even MORE profits to be made? (ie: natural grass)

I doubt it.

16. Scotland the brave

Scotland the brave New Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Toronto (WOOHOO)
    I agree, i think the draw of a DP is much more on the "WOW x plays for TFC, lets buy the shirt" instead of "TFC just signed x now they rock the league"

Obviously it completely depends on who MO brings in (if any) just look how star studded LA worked out, Lando and becks look to be jumping ship and LA will probibly be a more rounded team for it.

As long as the growth includes developing after the DP and not just the DP as the end piece in the puzzle

17. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Your beef seems to lie with alot of other issues and not the acquisition of the DP.

18. vita666420

vita666420 New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Scarborough
    What always bugged about this whole DP rule, is the average Championship side pays around 10 mill a year for a much better squads overall. I'm not sure how much Angel cost, but when he left he was at Villa on a contract that roughly worked out to 3.9 mill/year (I'm not sure how much red bulls are paying him, probably had to offer him a lot more) Wouldn't it just make more sense to increase the cap to 4-6 mill more, so we get a better product over all?

19. I think there was a split amongst the I/Os and the DP rule represents a bit of a compromise. From what I've been able to piece together reading Big Soccer News & Analysis Phil Anshutz (Galaxy & Dynamo) and Red Bull (NYRB) were gung ho to spend more, while the late Lamar Hunt (Dallas & Columbus) and the Krafts (New England) were not.

20. v00d00daddy

v00d00daddy Member

May 22, 2007
    Toronto
    You're absolutely right.

I'm curious to see if this DP thing pans out. It just pisses me off that the club announces that a DP is a sure thing and that natural grass is a real option, and they do it all right around ticket renewal time.

Now they've released this tidbit of info that they've "approved" the TFC 2009 budget. They haven't spent a dime yet on a DP or on natural grass and you're already giving them credit for not being the money grubbing corporation that they obviously are.

I would rather wait to see if they actually do any of the things that they hinted to (to ensure we renew our seats of course) before giving them any praise at all.

21. use_stupid_name

Jun 3, 2007
    Brampton
    The problem is they're being given credit because they said to Mo, "O.K. go ahead and spend our money." How's that money grubbing? Because they said spend our money?

Yeah, the grass thing seems stupid, but as far as the DP goes the only thing now is to sign someone. MLSE has approved spending the money, that's all there is on their end. MLSE doesn't sign players, Mo does.

22. People maybe should bear in mind that BMO Field belongs to the City of Toronto rather than MLSE on the grass thing. When/if the stadium gets expanded will be when the current 20 year management deal they have can be renegotiated.

23. v00d00daddy

v00d00daddy Member

May 22, 2007
    Toronto
    Yes this is true and I understand that. I just hate that all of this grass talk sprouted up right at renewal time. Then Carver starts demanding a DP, Mo starts guranteeing a DP, and now Anselmi's is backtracking somewhat and saying that we may not see one anytime soon.

Honestly, I doubt we'll ever see natural grass. I just get frustrated by all the lying and misleading when they want us to open up our wallets.

24. v00d00daddy

v00d00daddy Member

May 22, 2007
    Toronto
    Hold on a second. We don't know what they said about a DP. If you read all the articles about the MLSE board vote earlier this week you'll see that MLSE approved the 2009 TFC budget. We are assuming that there is money allocated for a DP in there. There probably is. My point is that we should reserve judgement on whether or not MLSE is doing what it takes to put a good product on the field until we actually see something done. We haven't seen any returns yet.

We should also look at their track record. It does still cost 13 bucks for a beer, 6 bucks for a hot dog, and my season ticket is now 292 dollars for next year. Just 2 years ago it 200 bucks. Something tells me it's not going to be 292 next year. That's how they're money grubbing.

25. use_stupid_name

Jun 3, 2007
    Brampton
    My point only is that MLSE has given the go ahead as far as we can tell to get a DP. If one isn't signed but the money is there it isn't MLSE's fault since they don't sign players.

The money is there, that as far as the responcabiltiy of MLSE goes when it come to the players (that's the way it should be). They've done their part, saying you won't give them credit until someone is signed makes me think you want them deciding what players Mo should sign.

Maybe I'm missing something.