MLS with 40 clubs...

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Paulo PT, Apr 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    PRO-SOCCER:
    Level 1 - Major League Soccer (40 Clubs). No promotion or relegation.
    Level 2 - USL- 1 (20 Clubs). Relegation: 2 clubs
    Level 3 - USL - 2 (20 Clubs). Promotion: 2 clubs.

USL - MLS affilliated /owned clubs. Two divisions with Pro/Relegation. Do Not Participate in the US Open Cup.

NASL - Absorved by Major League Soccer.

- Major League Soccer branch in Canada (Level 1): Between 8 and 12 clubs.

MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER (US)

4 Conferences: Northern, Southern, Central and Eastern.
    4x 10 clubs = 40 Clubs
    First Phase
    - 4 Conference Leagues: 18 games each, Home and Away games.

Second Phase
    - THE CHAMPIONSHIP: 4x2=8 clubs (1st and 2nd places in each Conference League). 14 Games. Home and Away games. - Winner: MLS Champion. CONCACAF Champions League.

- THE LEAGUE CUP: MLS CUP and US Open CUP Qualifying Groups - 4 Conferencesx8 clubs. 14 games, Home and Away Games.
    - MLS CUP: top 2 clubs in each Conference Group joins 8 Champions Group clubs.
    - US Open CUP: Bottom 2 clubs in each group do not participate in this competition.

MLS SEASON: 32 games.

OTHERS
    SUPPORTER'S SHIELD
    . Winning percentage (all 4 MLS competitions). CONCACAF Champions League.

MLS CUP
    -
    Winner: CONCACAF Champions League.
    - 16 Clubs: 8 Clubs from The Championship + 8 Clubs from The League Cup Qualifying Groups.
    - R16-R8-R4-R2 (Single-elimination Tournament).

US OPEN* CUP
    * Random draw without conference or standing restrictions.

- Only with MLS clubs: 32 clubs.
    - Winner or Runner-up - CONCACAF Champions League.
    - Single-elimination Tournament: R32-R16-R8-R4-R2

US SUPER CUP - SUPER CHAMPION (Preseason): 4 CLUBS. 3+1=4 Games.
    - SUPPORTER'S SHIELD
    - US OPEN CUP
    - MLS Champion
    - MLS CUP Champion

DOMESTIC COMPETITIONS: Maximum of 41 games per season.

2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'm the one banned from half the forums on this site...

3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Could you make this a bit more complicated?

mschofield, Elninho and JasonMa repped this.
  4. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Personally, I'm just "absorved" by the possibilities.

Elninho repped this.
  5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want topics like this to not get attention, don't post in them. Paulo PT didn't post anything here than should get him banned from this forum.

A limit of 41 domestic games is lower than the current limit of 45 (34 regular season + 6 playoff + 5 U.S. Open Cup).
    I don't like the idea of making the U.S. Open Cup for MLS clubs only.

6. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I agree, but it's also a very competitive and interest driven system.

I think it's a better solution divide each season into 4 shorter competitions, giving clubs more reason to "fight" for, and fans more reasons to celebrate.

7. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Only because Level 2 and Level 3 (with promotion and relegation) are farm/owned/affiliate clubs.
    I think Level 4 amateur clubs against Level 1 professional clubs doesn't make much sense.

With 40 US clubs in Level 1 I think is enough clubs to play in Open Cup, and because MLS with this scheme become more regionally divided competition.

Only Cups will display interconference games (Also The Championship) giving more importance to this type of competition.

8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Maybe all of the clubs can get participation trophies. So the fans can celebrate more

9. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Or maybe zero trophies and all the fans can celebrate all cubs getting nothing each season, making no one sad!

10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    OR you could just stop making moronic suggestions.

11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  12. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There seems to be a common perception that a lot of people live in Canada, which is manifested any time large-scale expansion is discussed. Canada has 35M people, while the U.S. has 320M. There are just over forty cities in the U.S. and Canada with over 2M people. Only three are in Canada, and all have teams already. There are three more cities with about 1.2M people, but a city that size is a marginal market at best, unless support has the fanaticism of hockey in Canada. Eight or nine U.S. cities are Toronto's size or larger, so that market is unlikely to see a second team. Montreal and Vancouver are significantly smaller.

Eight to twelve teams in Canada just can't happen. Even a fourth is unlikely any time soon.

The One X and EvanJ repped this.
  13. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Unlike, when you see Canada and USA in the same league.

But a MLS split with a MLS in US and a MLS in Canada, you can think in 8-12 clubs, in 10 different urban areas.

14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, maybe we should go to the league format that Nepal used until 2014. Their third division played its full season, followed by the second division, followed by the first division, and promoted teams simply kept on playing -- so it was theoretically possible for a team to win as many as three league championships including the first-division championship after starting that season in the third division.

Or maybe we should stop trying to created ridiculously complicated league schemes.

EvanJ and JasonMa repped this.
  15. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying a separate league in Canada, then? I can't see the current Canadian teams thinking that's a good idea. There's much more money to be made staying where they are; the only discussion about their potential involvement in the Canadian Premier League was the league not wanting to take their reserve teams. I don't see that being any different if the league in question were directly affiliated with MLS. Swansea isn't interested in leaving the premiership for the same reason.

16. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    someone needs a social life...o_O

17. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that your name, your sign, or your number?

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My number's 867-5309.

edwardgr, Zamphyr, HailtotheKing and 2 others repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kids today don't get that reference.

20. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    More complicated than NFL, NBA or other major sports league in USA??!!

Now MLS has only 2 conferences, let's wait for the third or fourth conferences... Don't forget 34 games per regular season...

More ridicules than unbalanced Schedule I believe it's impossible!

21. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Wales and Canada, seriously?!!

Wales is like one province you can't compare this two cases.

Also Welsh Premier League is almost an amateur league from small towns in Wales.

Of course they don't leave if the Canadian Premier League isn't a MLS league.

In a MLS Canada, more easily Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal could win the league. Also more games between canadian teams.

New York, LA, Chicago could be big cities with big clubs, but domestic clubs have a different appeal.
    If you want to build a national fan base you need a national competition.

A second team in Toronto, another team in Hamilton, Ottawa and Québec, Montreal, etc will drive more canadians to stadiums and watch games on TV.
    One all canadian MLS, is better than the current MLS with 3 canadian teams and 17 americans.

22. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    As a Welsh-Canadian I will tell you that you do not know what you are talking about. I find it difficult to understand what you mean by one all Canadian MLS: 8-12 teams within the 40 with no relegation? Or a separate league all together? Either way it fubars the concept of a single-entity top flight league in NA... Does Canada get 4 conferences as well? What happens to the successful MLS teams part of the single entity currently? How does inter league play work?

While I am a proponent of the CPL, if it takes away from the cities in the MLS that would suck, a lot.

I dispute that 8 or 9 cities in US are bigger than Toronto. 8 or 9 MSA's or CSA's maybe.

While everything else you mention about Canada and population is correct, it should, however, be noted how concentrated the population is in one geographic area.

Over a third of the nation's entire population lives in the Golden Horseshoe centred around Toronto. The Quebec-Windsor corridor (which includes Montreal & Ottawa) has over half of the nations population as well. The size and density of this area alone could warrant -potentially- a fourth team in the MLS sometime in the near future.

23. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL and NBA each play for one trophy. Neither even bothers to award a trophy to the regular season champion.

Unbalanced schedules are fine as long as there are consistent rules for how the schedules are set up.

24. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    No canadian clubs in this 40 clubs US MLS.

Canada gets a separate league with 8-12 clubs, like many soccer leagues in the world.

With 8-12 clubs you don't need conferences.
    Also with less clubs the season could be shorter attending to climatic restrictions.

25. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This has a third division that plays a fully national schedule, 19 road trips. that's kind of high end real estate for clubs looking at low end revenue, isn't it? I mean, the schedule allows the top league, which will be far wealthier, to play a regional schedule?
    Also, the US Open Cup has the word Open right there in the title. While MLS clubs are dominating these days, they hardly have the most history of any club in that tourney. The US has very little in the way of soccer tradition. Why dump what we do have?

FootySkeptic repped this.