MLS window for signing players

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Duke of Earl, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    I remember a date last year near the end of the USL season when MLS could sign players leading into their play offs. I cannot find anything about it on the net. Does anyone know?

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to say Aug 31 is the deadline but players could go on loan after that Hollinsworth and a couple other players did last year but don't think anyone got much time except with the reserve teams.

Interestingly Chris Bagley won the championship with Wilmington in 2003, then came to the Battery at teh end of the season and won with the Battery he then went up to New England and played in a playoff match up their. Unfortunately the Revs didn't win the MLS cup but thought it would have been cool for one player to have been a winner in three division in one year.

Mikey

3. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    August 31 sounds early because the USL-1 has another couple weeks and then the playoffs. The MLS goes to Nov., and if they are like the USL, they have a lot of injuries with gaps. The only problem is, they did not fill many gaps last year with proven USL players.

4. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Should be Sept. 1 st or something right around that date. It only pertains to players being transfered from one to club to another. Loans and out of contract players are a different story.... or so I think.

5. FC Zippy

FC Zippy Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Midland
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glinton will join the Galaxy at the end of the Battery's season.

7. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little confused as to who's doing the loaning. Last night, Andrew kept saying we were loaning GG to LAG but the press release says they have signed him and he's on loan back to us till the end of the playoffs. Real question is next season, will he be on the left coast or the right?

8. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    I am also confused. A fan who seems to be connected told me a couple of weeks ago that Omar and Daley were signed to two year contracts. I have also heard it said that management would not hold back a player who had a chance to move up. The Galaxy would have had to negotiate with Battery management for a transfer if my source was right and Gavin was under contract for another year. Hopefully, the Battery will get a good young striker prospect next year on loan from the Galaxy who needs some seasoning.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My condolences to you for having to look at a Galaxy player with any fondness whatsoever.
    Didn't he already play for them once? (never mind, read article - odd). I hope Charleston got paid properly.

10. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the standard "fee" for a USL player to transfer to an MLS team is a bag of popcorn swept up from the aisles after the last MLS home match.

11. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    A Sounder said they got an MLS exhibition game for a signing transfer fee.

12. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We already have those in March at our own tournament. Gavin had a 2 year deal too, so I hope he'll be back next year. He was one of Tony's finds.

13. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'd rather just have a check for $20K. Save our staff a lot of work. As MO said, we already get exhibitions in a semi-meaningful setting. (hey, the winner gets a cup, fans are fighting over a coffee pot. It's more excitement than most teams have in a season).