MLS will have trouble getting prime players

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by mrecint, Aug 4, 2007.

1. mrecint

mrecint New Member

May 31, 2006
    Fishers, IN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing that Real is putting 27 million pounds for Ballack and Robben (obviously to counter Henry going to Barca). It seems that the MLS clubs could never pay that much for players even in years to come. The only way is if we get 'NFL' type dollars...

2. WFU03

WFU03 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Singapore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Never" is a word used way too often around here....

3. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Yep. Bummer we can't compete with that type of money.

4. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overpaying for overhyped players? Sounds like Real is in panic mode. Hope MLS never becomes like that.

5. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I don’t think anyone would expect to get top talent in the next few years regardless. Doesn’t mean it will never happen. The real question is why would you want to pay that kind of money for them? doesn’t real Madrid actually lose money every year?

Hell Chelsea has lost 300 million over the last two years, all you have to do is find an owner who has mass amounts of money to spend and doesn’t care about losing money.

6. Vang0gh24

Vang0gh24 New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    K-W
    why so many MLS fans are so frustrated with the idea that MLS might not ever be at the same level with EPL, La Liga, Seria A??? WHO CARES!!?? so what if they have robben and robinjo?!?! that doesnt mean that they will win anything. I am a fan of Partizan Belgrade from corupted Serbian league, 3 years ago that same partizan played in CL 0:0 and lost 1:0 to that same real with becam, figo, ronaldo, carlos, zidan, raul and other overpaid celebrities! the team with budget of 4-5 m fought great battle with team that cost 300 m! don't belive the hype! MLS does not need those players, MLS needs good improving teams!

7. WFU03

WFU03 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Singapore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In short, it's a national thing. We as Americans like to believe that we have the best of, well, everything. It's where our stereotype of being arrogant comes from.

We think we have the best country, best beaches, best mountains, best economy, best military, best jobs...so we should have the best soccer league too.

While not EVERY American thinks this, it is a part of our national identity.

8. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    MLS do not need to worry about bringing in top players with big bucks.
    What they need to do, and I do think its something that needs improvements is finding the unknown players before someone else does. All over the Americas, and Carribbean invest more money into this, and we will have much better league, and when these top unknown stars come out from the MLS the more top players will come to want to play in the MLS.
    That's a long wait for this to happen, first MLS must have 20 teams, and each team must have its own Soccer Stadium, it can't be specific if its being used for other things right. After having about 20 teams increase the Cap to about 10 to 20 mil, and with this we can keep not only our top young stars from the NA region, we could also bring in top SA region players. Which gives the MLS top chances before Euro League gets a true look at them. That's why I would of wish MLS went for 20 teams by 2010, and it is possible aren't there many suitors wanting to join MLS well let it happen. We do by 2008 will have 14 teams, and adding another 6 teams should not be hard to bring in start now, and we can see a good future in MLS. After 5 or more years we can have a second league. Plus you can kind of help add more jobs

9. Vang0gh24

Vang0gh24 New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    K-W
    16 to 18 teams single table is what I like! no more expnding for at last 10 years then.

10. iancam75

iancam75 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Orange County/LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Single table is for small countries with maybe two major cities and the size of California. The US has many major cities and keeping at least two tables will allow the league to be larger than those European leagues and more entertaining. One day it might be two leagues under the same organization West and East with multiple tables and the West totally dominating. Rather than just one boring long ass table with a league that the champion is determined by who gets the most points. That is not entertaining enough for the US.

11. Vang0gh24

Vang0gh24 New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    K-W
    while I agree that US and Canada are large countries with lots of major cities. I can't agree that MLS is large developed league at this moment. until number of teams reaches 18, there should be single table. when it comes to 18, conferences should be considered. I know that play offs are interesting and bring excitement but it also downplayes importance of regular season game. I would propose separating MLS championship from North american Cup.
    MLS championship should be played like every other world league for title of the league champion.
    North american cup should be played after MLS championship ends and should include all 14 (currently) MLS teams going against top 14 USL teams, first round single elimination game, after that 2 games round with aggregat goal rules. untill there is only one - NA cup holder.
    That way we would have both exciting regular season where every single game counts and playoffs with participation from all levels of profesional soccer. there would be also posibility for "super cup" game between MLS champ and NA cup champ as a grand finale at the beging of each new season.

there, this is my pipe dream :D

12. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vang0gh, don't confuse the attitudes of some BigSoccer posters with that of the majority of MLS fans. There are a few "vocal" posters who lament that MLS is not getting the Adrianos of the world (who would undoubtedly fill up 80,000 satdiums), but the silent majority knows better.

13. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    never is a word that should alomst never be used.

14. geofftrojans

geofftrojans Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ive never heard it put that way before.:D

15. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    alomst is a word that should never be used. :p

16. mrecint

mrecint New Member

May 31, 2006
    Fishers, IN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm actually happy with the imports we have now....Schelotto, Blanco, O'Brien and Angel. But man how do those clubs spend like that? I just wished the MLS stadiums were packed, but we'll get there. I mean it's pretty crazy when it's 3/4 full...

You're right....never is a long time...maybe I should've used a different word!

17. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    yeah... i'm glad the mls didn't over pay david beckham, definately not an over hyped player.

18. alexthewolfe

alexthewolfe New Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Pennsylvania,USA
    Ummmm....last time I checked MLS didn't overpay Beckham, in fact they basicly stole him from the European clubs (he said he probably would have gone to Italy if it wasn't for the US). AIG footed most of the bill to pay for him and they will make a profit off that from marketing. For how much MLS and LAG are paying for Beckham, they got a great deal, especially how David performed after they signed him in La Liga.

19. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA

DOH!

20. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh it's hairynippleman, my arch nemesis! MLS got Becks on the cheap from Real and AIG is footing the majority of his 6.5 million dollar yearly salary. Though I'm sure you're still caught up and confused on the 250 million dollar number over 5 years like the average idiot.

21. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's also keep in mind that Real Madrid is not the whole Spanish league, just as Chelsea is not the whole EPL. Do I want MLS to be able to pay players more and compete for the signatures of bigger names? Sure. But I personally value quality teams more than famous players. What's Sevilla's budget? They gave Real Madrid and Barcelona a pretty good scare even close to the end of the season.

For all the talk of MLS losing money every year, Chelsea alone has lost more money in the last two years than our entire league has lost in eleven years. Clubs with rich owners that don't mind continually losing money to the tune of $150 million a year are going to have an advantage when it comes to buying up talent.

22. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP :D

23. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005
    MLS needs more fans that think like you.Good post.

24. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought that that was just Texans? :p