MLS Week 26 Running PBP Thread [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Papi has three jobs he'd leave FCD for. He's said as much. The USMNT, Colombian national team, and Independiente Medellin. One of those clubs will come calling sooner or later. If Oscar starts winning trophies, will the USMNT come calling after the 2018 World Cup? Very possible. That's two more years of Oscar after this one. That's what I'm counting on.

Your argument is fine as long as Paxton Pomykal, Jesus Ferreira, and company don't also sign abroad. Pomykol has been playing very well with the US U19s across competitions in Europe. We don't think Euro scouts are keeping a very close eye on him? [He's Czech. Access to Czech passport?] Jesus Ferreira is special. I'm sure agents and scouts are swarming around him.

Getting roster filler like Aaron Guillen and company is nice. If you don't also get the elite Acosta-level difference-making prospects, then the model really suffers. Acosta, it should be noted, had several training stints across Europe prior to signing with FCD. It was Germany if I remember correctly. (And any "training session" in Europe for a kid his age is essentially a trial). We could easily have lost out on him as well.

The USLPro argument is nice. If the argument is FCD II or Schalke IIj, FCD still loses the player. Player retention here is a big problem. And all the blah-blah-blah talk about training compensation, doesn't fix that player retention problem. And by the way, any money for these theoretical training compensation payments better count as allocation money............................or else the club can't re-invest it back into the first team anyway. They could invest it into the academy so they could produce more players that'll just leave for Europe/Mexico.

The discussion could just as easily be about Haji Wright, Rubio Rubin, Paul Arriola, Matt Olosunde, Brooks Lennon, Josh Doughty and countless other prospects who've left academies other than FCD for "greener" pastures abroad.

2. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah, I have to agree.
    I'm overly optimistic by nature.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think McKennie or any player signed to MLS right now would be able to play this year per observing how this worked in the past. That alone is a good reason to have the second team up and running. Now next year I don't expect all four of those midfielders to be here so McKennie would have been at worse the fourth mid with a real chance to be the third. How soon will he get 1st team minutes in Germany? Possibly just as quickly as Pulisic moved up quickly and is younger but who knows?

Is the answer to sign the top prospects at a younger age and if they won't let them go? Kind of bummed about MLS teams not having huge incentives to improve and have a slight fear of implosion if something isn't figured out.

4. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These ain't chess players. The "endgame" is envisioned as getting a night with Colbert.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ******** Atlanta.

jason1551 repped this.
  6. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think we can all agree that losing elite prospects, is an MLS wide problem.

A USL team will mostly help with the late bloomer types, such as Uloa.
    I doubt it will help retain elite level talent, but one can dream.

7. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In essence this thread is all about Combs, Tires, reverse jinxes, sideline baby dolls, and thrills of disappointment for the clubs we support. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.......always.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The thing that confused me was that he wasn't going to stop until the inequalities were fixed. That is likely going to last beyond his NFL career and life. Is he going to kneel every time for the rest of his life in protest, because it looses it's effect after a while. I think it's a little hard to articulate what i am trying to say.

As for Rampinoe. I guess it's good to take a stand, but it feels like co-opting the protest for different issue which falls under the same umbrella.

sitruc repped this.
  9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair. Most of the predictions by the Sounders fans turned out to be accurate. :)

asoc repped this.
  10. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harkes Face pumped in a Tebow way.

Untitled 4.jpg

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I didn't even note this/another shitty week of MLS ended yesterday.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  13. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honduras: The first nation to seek to use the new technology of the Counter Geiger........:whistling:

asoc and El Chico Carmona repped this.