MLS: we need away goals in the playoffs to count

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by MightyMouse, Nov 1, 2009.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was posted by "The Perfessor" in the following thread "Paging Kevin Payne":

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=6993

"Bill, my good man, it's the frakkin' way these 2 leg playoffs are structured!

Instead of doing it like, Oh, UEFA and FIFA, by having away goals be the first tiebreaker (No, Tommy Smythe, away goals don't "count double", a hoary chestnut that probably causes some American fans to think it's some 3-card-monte scheme); or even the elegant simplicity of the FMF "Liguilla" (a "Little League" of a different sort), or having teams level on aggregate allow the higher seed to advance, MLS in it's wisdom insists of doing it it's own way.

Like the mind-numbing "system" to see who actually got into the playoffs, MLS eschewed the practice of FIFA, UEFA, half of European leagues, and likely leagues on all of the other continents, namely Goal Difference and Goals Scored (a tiebreaking procedure you can figure out just by reading the damn standings).

Back to Rio Tinto. If there is no incentive for the away team to come out of its turtle mode, that's exactly what we are going to get.

Look, I'm a Revs fan, but I hate to see what you're going to write after the Revs - Fire series.

Jogo bonito? I think not.
    :eek:"

I have to agree 100% with this and I am inclined to think that MLS has simplified the goal situation for the soccer noobs at the sacrifice of the play on the field. Decades of crappy defensive endgames in Europe lead to the away goal rule to eliminate such defensive minded scheming. I am sure that MLS has reviewed this and decided that the soccer audience in the US is just "not there yet or sophisticated enough to understand" the rule. MLS has got to look at their playoff rules AGAIN because the away rule WORKS, as it promotes attacking soccer, not defensive hack fests.

Sure Seattle and Houston had a good game but I read the RSL vs Columbus game was precisely the kind of affair the away goal rule was meant to avoid.

I prefer the away goal rule...

discuss.

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several posters on the playoffs pbp thread have already refuted the argument for the away goals rule. The current setup gives an advantage for the higher seeded team - just like it is supposed to.

Unak78 and asoc repped this.
  3. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet you Columbus can tell you the incentive to get a goal after going down in the last 5 minutes yesterday.

4. SammySounder

SammySounder Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why the away goal rule doesn't just move the turtling from the away team to the home team. Right now it's to the away's team advantage to play defensively in the first leg. With away goals it's to the home team's advantage to play defensively in the first leg. Then there's the matter of destroying what little home field advantage there is. So maybe you kill this home and home format altogether, but as it is, I'm not a fan of the away goal rule, regardless of what other associations do.

Or maybe the better question is, why don't more MLS teams play attacking soccer (like Sea and Hou)? But if I recall that too is a thread that never dies too. :)

5. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many times have we heard criticism of the teams from the UK simply playing "anti-football" in the first leg of the cup ties when they have to go on the road? Just so they can go back to their place simply needing a win and not having to worry about goal differential or anything. The "away goals" system simply leads to mind-numbing first legs.

Just as someone else said, this system gives the advantage to the home team, the way it is supposed to. But also, its more likely to allow for better flowing soccer.

6. you_are_my_solskjaer

Aug 11, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will never be a perfect playoff system in MLS. It isn't like the NHL, who I believe is the most fair (every series is best of 7, every game must have a winner, no matter how many OT's) The NHL playoff is simply not practical in soccer. I was never a huge fan or oppenent of away goals rule, away goals is simply how I was brought up. But, was it fair what happend to Chelsea last year in the Champions League? Is the point of a home and home, to see who can score the most away goals, or the most goals total. It can be argued either way. The bottom line is, teams in league, will do, whatever it takes, to win. The way it should be.

7. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it wouldn't be a good idea though, all though I would like that away goal rule to be in place, to make it more exciting, I feel as if Colombus was to score in the Real game 2 to 0 then the next game would be virtually impossible to win, or maybe Colombus would play more defensive football instead of attacking football...

Ok..Wait... maybe it is a good idea, the teams would obviously be more attacking in the away games, which should go for a more attacking style game. The away team wants to score while the home team wants to win at home..So yes!! i think it would be a great idea, as to the boring 0-0 game results... And every team trying to play defensive... I say add the rule for play-offs!!

8. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Bingo.

9. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    The Perfesser also seems to imply that MLS tiebreakers are not used anywhere else, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

10. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best of three series format used in the early history of MLS (1) gave the higher seed a clear advantage, (2) did not encourage "turtling" and (3) ensured that every team that made the playoffs got a home game.

Discuss.

Unak78 repped this.
  11. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Soooo
    An exciting hard fought 0-0 tie in Seattle.
    1-0 win for RSL at Rio Tinto.
    2-1 win for NE at home over Chicago.
    2-2 tie for the Galaxy and Chivas in leg 1.

Did these games really warrant the outrage people were having?

1 person likes this.
  12. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they did. DUH.

13. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was a great play-off weekend, i mean what did people expect?? explosions??

The ties were not bad, the seattle game was good there were some shots at the post and then the fight that amost broke out if you asked me the only thing missing was the rivalry feeling of people getting mad at one another, teams are suppose to hate the other...

Chivas L.a game was good 4 goals, even though some were defensive errors they will learn frm this..

And the tie game will bring out a true playoffs match next weekend...

14. you_are_my_solskjaer

Aug 11, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which does not work in the event all 3 games are tied at the end of 90 minutes, then what do you do, a shootout from 35 yards?

Discuss.

15. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No no no no no no no

I've never liked the away goal tiebreaker.

If you're going to have a head-to-head competition to determine when someone advances and someone gets eliminated, is it really asking that much to get an outright winner? If the total goals are even, then you don't have one. Keep playing. You should never use a tiebreaker in a knockout competition when you can just break the tie.

Second, it doesn't help. The home team becomes more conservative because a draw with goals hurts them. If you WERE going to use a tiebreaker, I'd make home goals be it. At least then the home teams might open it up a little in front of their home fans.

Third, the home field advantage in the MLS Cup Playoffs is debatable with the current format as it is. It doesn't make sense to me to battle the entire season for the home field "advantage" only to be told your performance on the road is now more important. Huh?

The away goal tiebreaker, I think, was designed to prevent extra time whenever possible, because when the draw is random, it's perceived as unfair to have one side get to play the extra time at home. Well when the seeding is determined by performance, as is the case in MLS, you earn that advantage.

Plus which, it's illogical at it's very core. Play a competition where you add up all the goals and then say certain goals are worth more than others -- I don't get it. Besides: who's to say a 4-3 road win is automatically more impressive than pitching a 1-0 shutout?

At some point, you have to wonder what's more important: Trying to change rules for the hope of making things more entertaining, or doing what's more true to the essence of competition. I think away goals gears more towards the former, and getting an outright winner, the latter.

Unak78 repped this.
  16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You play extra time.

Any format in soccer is going to have the possibility of things ending level. That will never change. But you can always solve that with extra time and PK's.

17. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No game would end in tie. Either OT plus pk's would break the tie, or straight PK's.

All this "turtling" business people are talking about comes from the score of one game carrying into another.

Fortunately (as has been mentioned) with the possible exception of the RSL and Columbus game, most of the teams this week seem to have just gotten on with it rather than just try to kill off the first game. Nevertheless, anyone who has watched enough aggregate format soccer has seen plenty of teams simply try to kill off the first game.

18. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: No no no no no no no

I agree.

In short:

1) Away goals rule is great for unseeded competitions like Champions League where the objective of the format should be to minimize home field advantage.

2) The away goals rule is a bad idea for a seeded competitions like MLS where one team should receive a home field advantage.

All that said, an aggregate format makes little sense to me in a seeded competition like MLS. If we must have an aggregate format, I prefer either what we got now or a format where if the aggregate score is tied the higher seed advances. These two formats both give the higher seed more of an advantage than would an away-goals aggregate format.

Unak78 repped this.
  19. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true, in Copa Sudamericana and Copa Libertodores with the away goals rule, they don't try to kill off the first leg...

If you guys watch the play-offs in these competitions, you'll see how important and excitement it brings to a play-off series:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KclTZEh0SuI&feature=related"]YouTube - Chelsea 1-1 Barcelona gol de la clasificacion de voz del perro Bermudez[/ame]

Video is good but gets annoying after a while..lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK-6PQWSOu4&feature=related"]YouTube - Gol de Iniesta al Chelsea (Narració RAC1)[/ame]

had to put two of them so you can see the emotion and the excitement a game can bring with away goal rules implimented...

I still get goose bumps when I watch this....

I think this will solve the tie games in MLS play-offs, note in the second video the guy was grying because his team made it to the final...lol, I would too if it was my team

20. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: No no no no no no no

I don't like this either. That goes back to one of my earlier points -- if you're going to have a head-to-head knockout competition, GET A WINNER.

21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what.

You're arguing micro as a reason why it's good for macro.

Just because there are certain competitions between certain teams at certain times where the away goals rule had created wonderful drama doesn't make it the right format.

If you take out the away goal tiebreaker, there would still be plenty of drama in a lot of those competitions, just with different mathematics. And there would be a bunch of others where the drama would be BETTER because of different mathematics.

Example: Team A plays to a scoreless draw on the road in the first leg. Then, team B takes a 2-0 lead in the 2nd half of the second leg. With the away goal rule, Team A needs to score 3 to win; 2 does them no good. Well, if it's 2-1 in stoppage time, there's no drama, because the equalizer does them no good. Eliminate that tiebreaker, and there's still everything to play for.

22. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horrible horrible example. You simply tried to mold a classic goal to fit your argument. First you talk about South American competitions then put clips of a UEFA Champions League match? Barcelona got to celebrate their massive match at Stamford Bridge, not at the Nou Camp.

If they drew the first match AT Chelsea and then Barcelona scored the winning goal at home in the second leg, you would have seen the same type of emotion simply because the Champions League is so prestigious in Europe. Except, they would have been going crazy in front of their own fans instead of in London.

23. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not practical. The season needs to end before Thanksgiving.

Current system is fine.

I don't understand the bitching here. These second legs are all going to be wonderful barn-burners, set up by the first leg. It is going to be the best games, and most compelling soccer of the year.

Knockout tournaments are tense, defensive affairs. I don't think that fact can be changed.

24. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you say here may very well be true, so I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just curious as to why MLS used to be able to accommodate a best of three playoff schedule (or that first to 5 format), but can no longer do so?

Several months ago the higher ups in MLS discussed the playoff format again, so there is still a feeling not only on BigSoccer, but apparently within the league as well that the current format does not give quite enough advantage to the higher seed.

I agree!

25. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you're a #2 playing a #3, then you've won nine out of the twelve series in the current format. Columbus played conservatively and it might cost them. Houston and Los Angeles did not and are in better shape, and even Chicago (who also didn't play that conservatively) are no worse off than the Crew...