MLS vs. USL

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by rugman, Aug 28, 2008.

1. El_Huero

El_Huero Member+

Dec 21, 2009
    EduarDitto "The Pelé of Anal"
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Damage control and rationalizations lol!
    What a sore loser LMAO!

Also to correct your ignorant retarded post...Santos did lose to PRI 3-1 but they beat them 3-0 in SL home turf in group stage so on a aggregate 4-3 for Santos Laguna to pass on to the quarters.

Sure PRI did beat CA on the knockout semifinal stage at their turf but PRI were beaten by CA on the return leg on home turf 3-1 so 4-2 on an aggregate.
    Above all, I don't think that PRI has beaten any Mexican team on their own stadium by a large margin unlike LA Galaxy an MLS team beaten at home 4-1 by a USL team.
    LA Galaxy will have a tough time with PRI away.

2. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    And when has your team beaten any important team in CCL play? Oh yeah I forgot the Galaxy won the Champions cup back when they were seeded in the semifinals... CCC was a joke... CCL has proven to be fun and competitive. Superliga is a joke... and it's not even a real tournament.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the beauty of US open cup, just like the FA cup in England; it allows Lower division teams to win something important (trip to CCL in USA). I am not sure if the "copa Mexico" also involved lower division teams, but it would be nice if Mexico had a tournament were Segunda and Primera de Acenso could compete against Primera teams.

But I believe the Copa Mexico went away after Liguilla was introduced in Mexico, because not many people cared about it. I am afraid that the same faith awaits the US open cup, one of the oldest football soccer tournaments in the world.

English
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Mexico

Español
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Mexico

actually the wiki article blames copa libertadores for copa Mexico going away. who knows.

4. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a sore loser, as I hate the Galaxy; just pointing out that these things happen. The sky isn't falling. Puerto Rico has punched above their weight before, and the USA isn't the only victim.

Right...my point being that it's silly to talk about blowouts after one leg of a two-leg match. And of course Los Angeles, at sea level, isn't going to have the kind of home field advantage you get at Santos Laguna (3,000 feet) or Cruz Azul (7,000 feet).

If you're going to call people names, please get your facts straight. The Islanders beat Cruz Azul 2-0, then lost 1-3; that makes a 3-3 aggregate, meaning under this year's away goals rules the Islanders would have gone through. As it is, they went to penalties, which the Islanders lost 4-2.

My point was that any team can get shellacked on any given day. I'm not saying Puerto Rico didn't deserve the win; they were the better team on the day. But they also had defenders clear two balls off the line and scored 4 goals on 9 or 10 shots, so I think it's fair to say they were lucky to run up the score the way they did. Either way, if the sky wasn't falling for Mexico in '08--and it wasn't--then it's not falling for MLS right now, either.

5. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    YES SHIT HAPPENS,the only difference is that in ccl mexico has put 7 out of the 8 semifinalists and the mexican team that didnt get to semifinal was because another mexican team eliminate them,nobody (besides another mexican) has eliminated a mexican team since the tourney became a more real-like tourney,so its not the same for FMF and MLS,those things rarely happen to mexican tems but they do happen to mls A LOT.
    i think the sky has been falling for mls a long time ago.

so the altitude again ,then i guess the bolivian clubs must win almost every single copa libertadores or sudamericana since altitude is the KEY TO SUCCES.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FMF is the best in concacaf who argues against that?

Blovia does beat Brazil and Argentina in qualifiers!

7. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    USL>>>>>>>>>>mls

8. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    like i said before shit happens,and how many world cups they have assisted to thanks to the altitude advantage or how many copa libertadores and sudamericanas they have won thanks to the awesome advantage of altitude.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly they are not good enoght to go away and win games, their only advantage is the altitude, that is why they fight so hard the FIFA study that wanted to stop games at altitude.

10. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    You're wrong. The away goals rule was in effect. At the end of regulation of the 2nd leg, it was 2-2 aggregate, 0-0 away goals. Away goals in overtime don't count.

11. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it; didn't realize it was the overtime away goal that was the issue. In either case, it wasn't a 4-2 aggregate, which is what was claimed.

12. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    they dont even win all their home games club/national team level,but like any other american nation they want to beat brazil and argentina so is no surprise they play their best against them,if altitude were a factor they would end higher than they actualy end ,defeating the other not so big south american nations.

so the altitude excuse can anly help to a certain extent but if you dont win games against smaller teams then there is something wrong, and at that point the excuses have to stop and you have to face reality and try to fix it.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, but you know how hard that is!

14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A blast from the past, courtesy of Bill Archer:

Heh. :D

15. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Didn't they get promoted to USL-1 ? I know that my local team got promoted from USL-3 to USL-2 back in the day .

16. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF-2 is the equivalent of the former USL-1. USSF Division 2 (meaning the second division of the USSF, i.e. the one right below first division MLS) is composed of mostly former USL-1 teams and has two conferences: USL and NASL. If was formed as a settlement between the teams leaving USL to form the NASL and the teams left behind in the USL.