MLS vs Mexican League

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by yusef, Oct 4, 2003.

1. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    No point in arguing about the Champions Cup-- MLS teams have lost badly to the second teams of Mexican teams. The Crew and Gals got beat badly this year a week into the season; but the Gals (arguably our most talented team) had been playing semi-competitive matches for two months (remember the Cup at La Manga?).

And maybe we couldn't beat Mexican teams in early season form, but we should be able to take care Guatemalan or El Salvadoran teams (hello e-quakes and United...) even in early season, as Chicago managed to do in 2002.

But it's not even about "early season", really. How long does it take? 6-8 games? That's what SJ had before losing comprehensively to Pachuca in 2002. We don't even need to mention KC, do we?

Look, the bottom line is that we're not deep enough and smart enough to know how to play teams outside MLS. We know the players are good enough not to lose 6-0 to a Mexican team. Officiating is certainly a part of it, but even some of the questionable calls come down to a lack of familiarity with how games south of the border will be officiated.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    read my earlier posts. that columbus crew loss was when they were JUST out of training camp to a morelia team that was in full stride. and by the way, the crew AREN'T going to make the playoffs this year either. so now we have determined with certainty that MFL teams with the cohesion they have formed during a season of playing can defeat MLS teams who (1) aren't good enough to be one of the 8 out of 10 teams to make the playoffs and (2) are in their training camp. wow, that's quite an accomplishment and definitely a BEAUTIFUL indicator of how MLS and MFL match up.

3. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the CC Champions Cup is the place for these games to take place. Friendlies will never mean anything and until both the Mexican and MLS teams start to take the Champions Cup seriously neither will it.

Right now casual fans in the US don't understand the idea of playing international competitions. It's like when MLB sends a team to play the Japannesse League all-stars. It means nothing.

When fans take notice, the teams will take it more seriously because more money will become involved. Same thing with the US Open Cup. They should be showing all the Open Cup Semi-final and final games on National TV, FSW or ESPN2, but they don't because most fans don't care.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Whoa! I'm sorry I brought this subject up. I wouldn't have, except I noticed a couple months ago people in this forum were using the Galaxy's 0-0 draw with TSV 1860 Munchen as an indicator to how good the MLS has become. That game was played 2-3 weeks before the start of the Bundesliga season! Plus 1860 is viewed in Munich pretty much the same way that Londoners look at Tottenham. I just hope none of those people who were bragging about the Peace Cup results are posting in this thread as well...

5. I though that the MLS was the king of parity.

6. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Attendance prediction/atmosphere impression at Soldier's field this friday

I would like to say that the atmosphere at Soldier's Field this friday is going to rock. I predict that 25,000 fans will be in attendance. I think that Chicago next year, understanding that LA is first. The atmosphere for this game will be similar to the one we see at the Chicago-Marlin's games. Now, that Cubs will be travelling to Miami, this mean that it's not going to affect this game. What do u think?

7. Arturo

Arturo New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Monterrey, Mexico
    To point to the Concacaf Champions Cup to "prove" anything is most definately garbage. Mexican league however is much, much better than MLS, and thats a fact. Why? Simple logic, MLS has come a long way, no denying it, AND i'm happy for it... but there is no way you can compare the development of a competitive league over 60 or 70 years from one 7 or 8 years old... period.

I think the promotion/relegation system would definately "jumpstart" the league, we all know the incentive for winning, but as in all american sports, whats my incentive for not coming in last? from the standpoint of the owner, he can have a consistently losing team, make money and keep his team (I used to live in Cincinnatti, Bengal Fan :( Its beyond me how they never got relegated....lol) . So without relegation anything you toss into the field will do just fine.

I would really like to see a big tough league in the US, the competition would be great with the FMF league, and we would benefit from it (as fans and as a league).

Cheers,

Arturo