MLS vs Liga MX cup competition rumored to be near fruition

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O, si prefieres, los equipos Mexicanos pueden registrar para la US Open Cup. Ganan mejores números aquí en los Estados Unidos.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  2. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #177 tigersoccer2005, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    So now it's been announced by ESPN mexico that the tourney is confirmed and that it will begin february 2018. February makes sense as far as scheduling it at a time that avoids fixture congestion---unfortunately that also means that it will be a pre-season touney and given just about as much respect by both sides I imagine. My enthusiasm for Superliga 2.0 just went down several notches.

I wonder how MLS will get around the MLS labor agreement? Maybe pay the teams more for participating in an offseason tourney?

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Teams play in preseason tournaments now in Tucson, Portland, Orlando, Charleston, etc.

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same time as CCL, so expect these teams not to participate:

Tigres
    America
    Chivas
    Tijuana
    Seattle
    Dallas
    Red Bulls
    Colorado
    Canadian team TBD

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liga MX season starts the first week in Jan, so it would only be pre-season for the MLS teams.

Maybe in December you could have a competition involving 4 teams that didn't make the Conference Championships.

Pick from 2 of
    MLS:
    Open Cup winners; Supporter's Shield Winners; opposite Conference Champions; previous MLS Cup winners; best record in 2nd half of season; CCL best etc

Liga MX:
    Best team in Apertura; previous Clausura; Mexican Cup winners; Apetura; CCL best etc.

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.. Based on previous articles, the competition is intended to involve the "best" MLS and LigaMX clubs that don't qualify for CCL. So if it had been held this February, it would have been NYCFC, LA Galaxy, Sporting KC, and Real Salt Lake for MLS and Tijuana, America, Chivas, and Pumas for Liga MX.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic song and video!

Mateofelipe and Lucho305 repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually wouldn't it have been the best MLS teams not in this past Feb.'s CCL? So Colorado, NYCFC, Toronto, and LA? (The top 4 in the 2016 table not in CCL action in early 2017)

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are not incorrect? I was using The CCL qualification for 2018 CCL for MLS and qualification for 2017 Copa Libertadores (if they hadn't bowed out) for Liga MX since we don't know Liga MX's teams for 2018 CCL (or the 2017 Apertura finishers yet)

JasonMa repped this.
  10. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are old. And so am I. I can whistle that song.

11. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like something straight out of the original Dating Game!

12. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    That'd be dope.
    Nah, they couldn't've, They were close because MX teams don't kick it into 2nd gear until they have to.

So it looks like SL II will be like the Desert Diamond Cup. Yawns all around. Huge L for LMX for not re-entering the Lib Cup for 2018, and for not reformatting their CCL qualification, which means 2 teams will have a more than 1 year wait. Sad!

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Why? (Final decision?) What about 2019?

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONMEBOL changed the format and timing of Copa Lib. It now has 47 clubs (Up from 38) and changed it to a year-round competition starting in January/Feb and ending in November/December. LigaMX felt that the year round schedule interfered too much with their season and put too much of a burden on the teams that qualified. Whether or not they field any teams going further is up for negotiation at this point.

Hill Giant repped this.
  15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm aware of the Libertadores changes but fail to see - now that the CCL changes have been implemented - what stops Liga MX from returning next year.

16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think CCL was the issue. Even though the changes weren't officially announced at the time, it is likely that Liga MX already knew what the CCL changes would be when they pulled out of Copa Lib. Just a couple of weeks after Liga MX announced they were pulling out, Garth Lagerwey said they already knew the Sounders wouldn't be in CCL until 2018. I'd imagine if Garth knew, Liga MX knew as well.

Based on the comments I've seen from Liga MX for why they pulled out, they were concerned about the length of Copa Lib and felt it was too impacting upon their regular season.

17. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #192 tigersoccer2005, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    So today Sports Illustrated is reporting that in addition to this new Superliga 2.0 tourney there will also be an annual "event match" pitting the MLS Cup champ vs one of the 2 Liga MX champs. I can only assume the apertura and clausura champs may play each other to see which will go against the MLS Cup champ. Even though it's only one match I would def be interested in seeing that annual match become a fixed tradition between MLS and Liga MX.

In my opinion--the more the merrier--why not 4 teams? MLS Cup champ and SS winner vs Apertura and Clausura champs. Have either a mini tourney with semifinals and a final or a mini round robin with 4 teams . It would be great!

18. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    They already have that match, it's the Champion of Champions Cup, so they'll probably use that.

And this is all a stupid idea. Schedule all these games in some amateur football complex and allow unlimited subs and maybe even re-entry, to show that they're strictly preseason warmups.

slaminsams repped this.
  19. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there's no reason why the annual match between MLS Cup champ and Liga MX champ needs to be a pre-season exhibition. It could also be a post season " big event" match. Similar to how in europe the final match of champions league always takes place after all the euro leagues have concluded for the year. We could have the annual match against Liga MX approximately 2 weeks after MLS Cup. It would make for a nice end to the soccer season even if it's just an exhibition. I think the All-Star game has proven that a game can be simply an exhibition and yet still be interesting.

Lucho305 repped this.
  20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Cup 2016 was on December 10, so 2 weeks later would be December 24. Forgetting about Christmas, Liga MX played the two legs of their Final on December 22 and 25, so the timing doesn't work. Mexican clubs wouldn't want this game during the Liguilla (playoffs), and if you played it a week later, the MLS club involved wouldn't be playing right after the season or right before the next one. I don't think the MLS Cup winner would want 2 weeks off and then to play 3 weeks after MLS Cup.

21. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    This match is doomed either way. It doesn't have any CWC implications, so that will hinder it.

December's out of the question, as Evan said. Summer would be dumb because it'd be anticlimactical to the CCL, where the league champ would have already played. Playing it in Feb before the CCL would be kinda weird since the 2 teams may meet again in a few weeks. Good luck gettin more than 8000 to the stadium if this game happens.

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... I know Mexico/US is a big rivalry, but having league champs play seems a bit much with CCL in the queue for both..

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn. We are trying too hard to create matchups. When MLS teams start to win the Champions League intermittently, then I will get excited about another contrived Mexico/US matchup.

slaminsams and Zoidberg repped this.
  25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Thing is these matches will in all likelihood still make money. I'd rather have us and Mexico cashing in over the rest of the region...especially the Caribbean.

I think when MLS teams finally start knocking out Liga MX teams semi regularly in the CCL the temps will go up. I predicted that would start happening come 2020 five or six years ago.

We will see how much money MLS can garner once this long FOX deal expires, and how much further along MLS can move the academy system. Those are the major ingredients needed. May have to wait until 2025.