MLS vs Liga MX cup competition rumored to be near fruition

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, Feb 13, 2017.

1. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Apparently three of the four Mexican teams will be America, Chivas, and Tijuana since they lost their Libertadores spots this year.

2. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody complaining about to many games on the schedule needs to shut it. We play 4 less regular season games than the Brits. I don't think a game or two against the MX teams is going to destroy the infrastructure of MLS.

3. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus the new CCL format doesn't do anything for creating more MLS-Liga MX matchups (and actually lowers it since the Canadian MLS v Liga MX in the group stage could add another matchup) and cuts the entire group stage for MLS and Liga MX clubs. I'm all in on SuperLiga 2.0.

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This pathology that US fans have about playing Mexico/Mexican teams at every turn is unhealthy. It has become a full-on obsession. I am starting to understand why many in the Mexico forums get such a chuckle at our expense.

5. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    Tom Marshall is kind of an idiot. Is there a better source reporting this?

6. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. This needs to die.

Super Liga was okay for like....the first season or two. Afterwards it quickly deteriorated and became a joke of a competition. It was just preseason warm-ups for the Liga MX teams.

Lucho305 and Nico Limmat repped this.
  7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    But Mexico will most likely be back in Libertadores in 2018 and that competition now lasts from January until November. So who will play this for Liga MX? The CCL teams again in the summer/fall? Clubs that miss out on both CCL and Libertadores?

Count me underwhelmed. There is no need for this.

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo played 48 games in 2008. That was with a shorter MLS regular season that didn't start until March 29. I don't know if that is still the most, probably not, but it was a lot.

CONCACAF Champions Cup - 4 games
    MLS regular season - 30 games
    Open Cup - 1 game
    SuperLiga - 5 games
    CONCACAF Champions League - 6 games
    MLS playoffs - 2 games

Could have been more but we lost on PKs in the first Open Cup game and despite being the #1 seed in the Western Conference went out in the first round of the playoffs.

Houston played twice a week for almost all of July and August that year. The Dynamo only lost 2 games (and two more on PKs) in that 15 game span. We had 8 more games in October that year. That didn't help when the MLS playoffs rolled around. Might not have won either way but it didn't help.

Stupid_American repped this.
  9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would people like a Super Cup game or two leg series between the U.S. Open Cup and Copa MX winners?

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    All-star game between both leagues?

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well for What I hear on Spanish TV, it is going to be limited to a few teams, They did say America and Chivas are rumored to be in, perhaps with the other Copa Libertadores team (that did not get to go).

So yes basically SuperLiga 2.0, but perhaps with Home-Away games and not the 1 group per stadium short tournament.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Mexican reporter that is probably a bigger idiot than Marshall. If I remember correctly his name is Trujillo, but I may have that wrong.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What was her name? :)

- - - -

I get the consternation about choosing SuperLiga 2.0 vs. CCL. I get it that the two leagues are heads and shoulders above the rest in the region but that means this type of competition could wear thin VERY quickly. I understand the need to push the level of competition in MLS and that this is the most convenient way to up the stakes, but it's also wholly contrived and I'm also of the mind that I'd rather not do anything special that's going to enhance the coffers or reputation of Liga MX. We want to catch them, not push them forward.

That this is supposedly needed due to shortcomings in the CCL tells me that we should instead get back to fixing the CCL, up to and possibly including the separation of the Caribbean portion. Topic for another thread, to be sure, but what we're seeing globally is the rift between nations based on their capability for supporting pro leagues, and I'm wondering if these CL competitions should be reformatted in recognition of those divides. I don't know, I'm just throwing it out there.

Bottom line, yes I want to see MLS become a stronger league and be able to showcase talents on a more global stage, but constantly butting heads with Liga MX other than the bona fide confederation competitions will feel hollow. But that's just me.

007Spartan repped this.
  14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    We didn't really exchange names and numbers.

15. ukraine76

ukraine76 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always felt that this would be an awesome thing and a great opportunity to have big ratings and $$ involved. It's sort of insane that club teams are not getting in on the national team rivalry. Even if ratings were 20% of the NT matches it would be huge.

16. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I am totally opposed to this. There are already too many competitions and too many games. MLS teams complain about too many games all the time. So lets make another one?
    Please just let the CCL develop and use that as the MLS vs Liga MX showdown. I would much rather more emphasis and money put into that tournament than creating another.

It isn't us complaining about too many games. It is the teams, players and coaches.

Boloni86 repped this.
  17. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Why would MLS coaches prioritize this when half (or more) of them already think CCL isn't worth the 100% effort?

And the team that finally wins a 21st century CCL over a LigaMx team would be a true groundbreaker, so at least there's a decent incentive there. What's the rationale for a coach to risk players for this concocted tourney?

It would have to be non-CCL LigaMx and MLS teams in the spring (running concurrently with CCL). Or overlap with major international tournaments in the summers of 2017 and 2018. Or intrude upon MLS playoffs in the fall.

And remember, LigaMx has TWO liguillas every year where 8 teams make it, so it can't interfere with that either, and it also has CopaMx.

A lot of bad options--surely Don Garber is too savvy to go down this road again.

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  18. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if there is some decent tv $$$ on the table?
    MLS would be stupid to say no if some Mexichannels are offering big bucks.

19. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the strongest and wealthiest league top to bottom in our hemisphere and outside of the European top 5. Why wouldn't you wanna play them?

20. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's exactly right. Univision and Liga MX see big potential for growth in the non-Mexican market. To do that, they need to strip the "foreignness" of the the league by increasing familiarity and accessibility. The new SuperLiga news is coming out right as Univision just announced that they are teaming up with Facebook to stream Liga MX games in English in the US.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  21. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I have my reservations about adding a tertiary tournament that will receive even less priority than the current non-MLS fixtures, but can't complain about the extra TV money it will generate for the league. Heaven knows FS1 needs all the mid-week primetime programming it can get, so they'd be the obvious choice for English-language rights.

22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Great, another competition that will NOT include the Chicago Fire.
    Have fun, MLS teams who give a crap and try to be competitive.
    God, we suck. :notworthy:

23. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After some thought someone mentioned the ACC-B1G Challenge and I think that might be the best format possible for this event.

- A 1 week event featuring as many teams as possible, with games every night.
    - Compact celebration format provides hype without much schedule interference.
    - Won't take too much away from other competitions.
    - Gets more teams involved and over time invites more opportunity for variety of match-ups.

This I could get behind because it gives all teams a chance to participate over time and treats it the way it should be treated, as an entertainment novelty. Not sure when I'd do this but I'd be more into this than the conventional mid-season friendly against an EPL B-side.

EvanJ and 007Spartan repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make it during a FIFA date when the leagues are stopped anyways :whistling:

25. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would hope that the winner of the tournament gets an invite to Copa Libertadores. This would give the tournament purpose beyond just being a money grab.