MLS v NASL

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Cruickinator, Aug 24, 2002.

1. fusionmansteve

fusionmansteve New Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Waiting in Lockhart parking lot.....
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Great post Roughneck...I was a ten year old who dreaded Striker road trips to Skelly, where we always seemed to struggle....

As a soccer fan twice fallen in love, and twice dumped (Strikers, Fusion), I can say that the highs I experienced at Lockhart, whether it was 1979 or 2001, were equally dramatic. We played with a flair last year that the league sorely misses this year....take your greatest success story and blow it up, unbelievable.

Yet there is nothing like your first time. Nene Cubillas, Ray Hudson, Jan Van Beveran, Best, David Irving, Branko Segota...ahhhhh!!!

And it was before the days of the jaded, disillusioned sports fan...as successful as we were last year, we knew we were one good Qwest investigation or cash call away from extinction. The glory days of the NASL had, and it sounds corny, a real innocence, however short lived...and that can never be replicated. Will I ever root for a home side at Lockhart again? Who the hell knows. I sincerely hope Tulsa gets a committed I/O that can get things rolling for you in OK. Keep the logo and nickname!

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Tornado did play at Ownby for a while, but I remember them best at Texas Stadium.

I doubt very seriously that 10% of all BS members ever saw an NASL game.

And the answer to anyone in any city who asks, "Why not us" is a very simple one: No one has stepped forward saying they want a team, come up with sufficient money, and a good enough place to play, have they?

The NASL didn't make you go through all that. If you wanted in, all you had to do was say, "We're going to play in this NFL/CFL stadium, and lots of kids play soccer in our area" and you were in.

Of course, you were usually out not long after that.

As for magic, I saw it firsthand at Tampa Stadium.

3. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Name one NASL team that didn't struggle at Skelly. The Roughnecks used that small, narrow field to it's full potential. Tulsa quickly became the one opponent the Cosmos didn't want to see in the post season.

4. SoccerMavn

SoccerMavn Member

Oct 7, 1999
    On the pitch
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it was only 24 teams...Lord knows what I was thinking when I typed 28.

Goddamn Phil Woosnam and his fascination with the NFL...all he ever wanted was to be as big as pro pointyball. Even had an "American Soccer Conference" and "National Socer Conference." *shudder*

I do think the NASL had the same teams in the same cities in 1979 and 1980--no folds, no expansion, no moves.

For what it's worth, I went to quite a few Fury games as a kid, from 1978 to 1980. I never saw an Atoms game live, though; caught them on radio and TV. Going to games was never that much fun; the game was OK, but rattling around in cavernous Veterans Stadium was depressing. So was the Astroturf, with the big green covers where baseball infield was.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, sir!

1979-1980
    ----------
    NATIONAL CONFERENCE
    East
    New York Cosmos
    Washington Diplomats
    Toronto Blizzard
    Rochester Lancers

Central
    Minnesota Kicks
    Dallas Tornado
    Tulsa Roughnecks
    Atlanta Chiefs

West
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Los Angeles Aztecs
    Seattle Sounders
    Portland Timbers

AMERICAN CONFERENCE
    East
    Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Ft.Lauderdale Strikers
    Philadelphia Fury
    New England Tea Men

Central
    Houston Hurricane
    Chicago Sting
    Detroit Express
    Memphis Rogues

West
    San Diego Sockers
    California Surf
    Edmonton Drillers
    San Jose Earthquakes

Ah, those were the days.

6. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Sure NASL did many things wrong, but like it or not the NASL directly or indirectly affected how US Soccer turned out in the 1990's.

The magical aquisition of Pele for 3 years opened up many roads for soccer in the US. That seed which was planted for immediate returns ended up benefitting soccer in the future even more. If we had an alternate universe in which the NASL never brought over Pele I would bet anything that US soccer would still be at 1970's or 1980's level without even an attempt to improve it much. Boy those were the dark ages.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Sadly, though, according to the recent A&E Biography special on Pele, it seems that the only reason Pele agreed to play for the New York Cosmos was because he was in a huge financial pickle after most of his money went bye-bye following the bankruptcy of the rubber plantation he heavily invested in (the Cosmos signed him for around $6 million in 1970's money, so it would probably translate to a lot more money in today's money). :(

-G

8. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...

NASL - was a great entity of soccer in a nation that didin't know anything about soccer

MLS - Is a pathetic entity of soccer in a nation that doesn't even care about soccer.

NASL - Spent "S"hit loads of money to put together great teams.

MLS - Shells out pithy amounts of money for psuedo-great and past their prime type talent.

NASL - Didnt care where they played, or what they played on, When they played games, and first to use orange soccer ball.

MLS - begrugingly enough care about where they play, what they play on" except Chicago", when they play games, and have changed the ball a few times.

NASL - Hardly had any TV coverage, It was strictly a fan involved base sport. you either went to the game, or you didnt hear anything about it.

MLS - panders like a cheap whore to any T.V. coverage it can get... Letting ESPN pimp it around like the " worlds strongest man competition " lead in.

NASL - Caputred great attendance's in Philly, Rochester, and the Northwest. tried and failed in Los Angeles twice.... but that was before the great Mexican emmigration.

MLS - luckily has L.A. , NY & D.C -- other cities in MLS would have been contracted or moved in NASL era.

NASL - called it moving or sale of the team and subsequently teams were eliminated from the league in 14 of it's 17 years as a league.

MLS - to it's credit has only contracted once. But if things dont improve could find itself emulating the NASL very soon.

just some of the comparisons - our soccer history is very entertaining if not very historic or memoriable.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there you have it.

10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    pithy - adjective
    (of speech or writing) short and clever; expressing an idea cleverly in a few words

I agree. Compared to the NASL, MLS's spending has been short and clever.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he has an occasional lisp. ;)

12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had the privilege of being season ticket holders for both the NASL (via my parents) and MLS (Charter Members) versions of the Quakes. Our family started attending games the first full season of the Quakes (1974) and purchased seasons tickets the next year. We had season tickets until the last year before the league folded.

Some of the highlights of the NASL:

1. Seeing Some of the Best Players in the World
    Although past their prime, I got to see the following play in person: Pele (NY), Eusebio (Toronto?), Beckenbauer (NY), Cruyff (LA), Muller (FL), Best (LA and SJ), Hurst (Seattle), Alberto(NY), Banks (VC), Bogicevic (NY), Chinaglia(NY)...

2. Family Atmosphere
    Large crowds at small stadium, great half time entertainment, and Crazy George...

3. Good Soccer
    Although my only compasion was German soccer (Soccer Made in Germany with Toby Charles on PBS), the game was played with passion until the early 80s...

4. Professional League
    Allowed me to dream of playing professional soccer in the US.

5. Soccer Bowl 1975
    Attended the Tampa Bay vs Portland. Huge crowd for Spartan Stadium. People were standing at the top of the stands.

Some of the lowlights of the NASL:

1. Level Play
    Never really improved year after year. Just stayed the same...

2. Old Players
    Too many old players taking a summer vacation...

3. No US Player Development
    Had to set limits on the number of US players who HAD to be on the field.

4. Management
    Even as a teenager, I could tell when things were starting to go south in the early 80's for the league.

Some of the highlights of the MLS:

1. Level of Play
    Every year the level of play gets better. After only six years, its comparable to second tier leagues in the soccer nations (England, Germany, Italy, etc.)

2. US Player Development
    Rather than only having a token three US players on the field, the team is mostly US players with a foreign limit. 2002 WC is a direct reflection of having a professional league consisting of mainly US players.

3. Family Atmosphere
    Now I bring my family to games. Inexpensive, nice duration (two hours), and good people...

4. Decent Management
    Conservative approach with a view to the long term vs short term gains will work. Just need to be patient for a couple of more years.

5. Attended the First MLS Game

6. No Crazy George
    Don't need him any more. Fans know when to cheer...

Some of the lowlights of the MLS:

1. Team Depth
    Not enough money to have quality players on the bench. Effects competion in tournments against forieign teams.

2. Marketing
    League still has figured out the best way to market the product.

3. Foreign players
    Learned from the NASL mistake of bringing too many over-the-hill players, but the league could use a few names players who still have a little soccer in them to validate the league outside of the US.

4. Stadiums
    Still need soccer specific stadiums for the long run.

5. Watching the Clash
    Inept soccer at its finest.

It took me a long time to recover from the NASL folding, but I can through the clouds to a great future for the MLS.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were there?

Got a program, a ticket stub, or anything like that? Anything at all?

14. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I don't think so. I was only 11 years old, and at that time, I collected only baseball, football, and "wacky package" cards.

However, I should check with my parents. My mom may have some stuff. She is kind of a pack rat.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well let me know.

I loved Wacky Packs as well. And I was ten at the time.

16. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did.

17. Swampgas United

Dec 24, 1999
    Boros

18. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Gotta love NASL threads. I imagine it's been over 25 years since I ever thought about Ringo Cantillo.

He was one of my favorite players -- only because of his name.....

19. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    somewhere in the house here I still have a tampa bay rowdies t-shirt my dad bought me when I was five. last time I saw it, it looked tiny, but I think I still have it. I remember getting home from the old tampa stadium and setting up goals on either end of the living room floor and blasting this little rubber Rowdies ball all over the house. I still miss how innocent that seemed, whereas now the survival of MLS seems like a function of tv contracts and labor disputes of older established sports leagues.

And yet, we keep the faith because it's only about the game and nothing else.

20. SoccerMavn

SoccerMavn Member

Oct 7, 1999
    On the pitch
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salad Days

While doing some research, I came across this letter from Bob Antoniuk of Hoboken, NJ in the July 1979 issue of Soccer Digest:

Twenty-three years ago, there was a 180 degree difference from the current perspective. Imagine: the NASL's cavernous baseball and football stadiums, mostly AstroTurf and with the markings of their "usual" tenants (i.e., gridiron lines and basepaths), were tolerated enough for the league to be considered "well housed." Meanwhile, New England's playing in a 15,000 stadium--a bit small by today's standards, but otherwise an ideal SSS model--was considered slumming.

Some other changes--Chicago is well-supported now, while San Jose "must be moved now," to quote any one of a number of posters in the weekly attendance threads.

21. Geoduck

Geoduck Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Excellent stuff, USRufnex, and I agree 100% with your opinion! Also worth pointing out: in the NASL, the Whitecaps lasted 11 years, the Sounders 10, and the Timbers 8; that's longer than MLS has been in existence.

The year Team America existed, the Sounders, which had been to the Soccer Bowl the previous year, changed ownership. Not only did the new owners break up a team that had reached the Soccer Bowl the previous year, it redid itself by emphasizing American talent (the old coach and several players were fired basically for being British) -- and in the process, killed the franchise. The owners actively tried to dissuade its Americans from joining Team America, referring to Washington DC's comparatively high heat and humidity. So that might be why Mark Peterson didn't immediately join Team America (though I don't even recall his being with the Sounders that year).

22. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    Does anyone know of any books that was written about the history of the NASL?

23. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps Colin Jose has written some sort of volumous work on the subject... I'm about 90% (or so) sure about that...

In any event, there could very well be something (by him, and/or someone else) in the BigSoccer Store...

Cheers,
    William

24. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Books? Sorry I don't know of any. However a incredible website contains the history not only of the NASL but America's other professional leagues as well is http://www.sover.net/~spectrum/

Some amazing info. Well worth a couple of hours to browse through it.

On an related note. Nice article about the A-league and how it compares to the NASL is at www.a-league.com/features/2002/fea,2002,0019.shtml

25. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    I've been to the sover site, and it's very good. It has very good info. I'm looking for something more into detail (politics, business figures, etc).

I did some research on the NASL back in '99, and it was pretty much limted to articles from the Chicago Sun-Times about the Sting, and very few articles in magazines.