MLS v MFL 2007 Recap

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by RedBulls, Oct 4, 2007.

1. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Includes the spring CCC, summer Superliga, and fall sudamericana:

MLS: 5 wins, 6 losses, 5 draws; no titles

MFL: 6 wins; 5 losses; 5 draws; CCC & Superliga Champs, still playing in sudamericana

MLS is clearly a step down, a close step, but down nonetheless.

Thoughts & comments?

Anyone that feels like digging up goals for and against be my guest.

2. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say the best way to describe this year would be "close but no cigar". How many games or series were lost by one goal this year? Every series was a nail-biter.

3. traversunitedfan

Apr 29, 2007
    Hollywood MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we will have them next year. The dp's will have more time to train with the teams, and more dp's will come in next season. The mls teams need to focus on their chemistry as well.

4. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot, really. Two SuperLiga games were tied at the end of regulation and went to PKs. One CCC series was tied, but broken in AET. The Sudamericana series was broken by away goals. In each case, the MLS team got the short end of the stick. So, we're getting close, but not breaking through. But any of those could have potentially gone the other way with some luck and I don't think the gulf is huge.

5. El Chibchombiano

El Chibchombiano New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Lake Zurich
    I posted this on other thread, but I believe it is appropriate here to;

"glancing through all the responses nobody touched on attendance (unless i missed it)...aside from DP, salary issues...remember it was 2-2 aggregate...the difference is minimal...Houston's battles with Pachuca, DC's with Chivas...ANY little advantage helps...and the case of both Pachuca and Chivas was the return leg being in mexico and the GM's offering free attendance...they realized the only edge mexican soccer has is attendance and the only way to overcome goal deficits is the fans...when the return leg was in Hidalgo stadium between Houston & Pachuca...free attendance, voila packed house...the game earlier this week, Jorge Vergara (owner of Chivas) offered free attendance...again Jalisco stadium was packed (this would not have been the case for a midweek game with chivas having a mediocre season)...Pack the house to motivate your team...When we have those kind of fan bases (Houston is well on its way) where the opposing team's jersey is nowhere to be found in the stands...is when MLS can create more opportunities to advance in international club tourneys..."

6. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    it also seemed at times that the MFL teams showed a little more poise and skill than the MLS sides

7. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    MLS is getting their.........We are def. increasing the play in our league while the MFL is quite stagnat in its level of play.

Gives us 2 more years and we will be winning over 50%.

8. TheRebellion

TheRebellion Member

Oct 1, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Good competitions im enjoying every minute of it! I have teams on both sides that I support and i'm not concerned with nationalism, football is gaining steam here in the states at the club level in this region and doing well as pointed out by the records, a more attacking style when visiting hostile environments will serve MLS teams well, defend through the attack and pressure the release points thats what I would like to see, a more beutifull game! Watching prevent defense is like watching prevent defense in the NFL, Boriiing, useless and weak! Look to score, put the pedal to the metal! Get a convincing lead and then possesion while still moving forward is still the best defense, IMO! I see weak MFL teams aswell as weak MLS teams (errr coaches).
    As far as National teams 1. Mexico, and im not a terrorist! go galaxy, club america! Blanco for presidente campain see www.blanco4prez!

9. enemy redded

enemy redded Red Card

Aug 22, 2007
    And the mls league is the only league growing? :rolleyes: All other leagues are on pause and are waiting for mls to get huge, LOL. Every year mfl gets better and better players, what r u smoking bra. 50% ha yeah right, ill believe it when i see it. mfl is still on top, you guys havent even played are mid table teams who some are actually in top positions right now. Like santos is in 1st and atlante in 2nd, or toluca or cruz azul. Chivas, america, pachuca always take the mls sides half assed, its so obvious. But of course they need to take it serious, of course mls sides have improved but no way are you going to dominate mfl teams, i dont doubt any mls teams beating mfl teams, its very possible. The typical teams that come and play mls like the ones i listed above just need to take mls sides as serious as any mfl or international team. Wait till you meet a team like santos, toluca who are tearing shit up right now, those guys wont half ass anything since their mid table teams but in the mfl you always have a mix up, its never chivas or america dominating. Chivas is doing so bad right now, and they still beat dc. And dc is in 1st place, c'mon now.

10. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007

Amongst sentence after sentence of speculation, you conclude with a good point.

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I think we should take the Superliga results out of the equasion. Those were all home games for the MLS teams, which creates a major statistical bias.

As for the CCC and Sudamericana for the future, I think the key is getting more goals at home and not be so intimidated by the hostile environment on the road.

I think a lot of it is lack of experience for the MLS teams. Mexican clubs have a lot of experience playing in hostile environments all over North and South America. MLS clubs are still just getting there. DC and Houston logged a lot of experience this year. I hope they represent MLS again next year and see if any of the lessons we learned can pay off.