MLS/USA Flags

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by puravidamon, Apr 12, 2006.

1. puravidamon

puravidamon Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Wondering if any of you fine people are going to World Cup, and, if so, if you plan to "promote" MLS in any way (i.e. jerseys, shirts, etc.). I know World Cup should be about the national team, but it would be cool to see some MLS visuals on TV.

On that note, I created (quite a while back, actually) some templates for a flag design. If anyone wants to take a look, find them here:

http://mlssingletableproject.blogspot.com/2006/04/mlsusa-flags.html

Has anyone seen anything similar?

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Writing on a US flag is a violation of flag etiquette.

3. puravidamon

puravidamon Member

Mar 16, 2005
    well... that was the other thing i was wondering.

4. Das Berzerker

Das Berzerker New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    I was thinking about going but I am not in the end. But the US flag is not really good at writing things across like the flag of St Gerorge. Try your local city flag they normally work much better I have noticed.

5. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    nobody has any idea what those flags in zillion different colors represent tho :)

6. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks kinda cool, too bad you used DC as your example though. ;)

7. FireFanInPackerLand

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not just get a flag with no stars in the blue field, and your team's name or crest in the field?

8. Crazy Eights

Crazy Eights New Member

Sep 28, 2005

9. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    If you must make a flag, use "Uncle Sam's Cross."
    Example:
    USA | MLS
    ---------
    MLS | USA

Personally I made one of these with state flags instead of MLS flags. It was just a wee bit too big to hang though. 7' tall by 11' long, who knew? :eek:
    Going to make a smaller one, aiming for 5' tall by 7' long. Should be just right.

[​IMG]

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you mean kinda like this?
    [​IMG]

11. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gadsen flag would probably be better for writing club names on. Its a recognizable American flag.

12. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's kind of cheesy, and doesn't mention MLS at all, but I really like Nike Soccer's This American Game campaign, and the logo they use for it, a take off on the Gadsen flag with an old onion skin soccer ball added in--You know; "Don't Tread On Me"

13. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

How about stitching letters onto it. Honestly though, if the intent is a display of respect and pride, I don't see anyone having a problem with it.

People make u.s. flag boxers for chrissake.

14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your intent is respect and pride, have enough respect and pride to display the flag appropriately.

15. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded. The flag is gorgeous enough as it is. I could never write or sew onto a US flag, but that's just me.

16. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Said!

Why doesn't someone just be <gasp!> original and come up with a flag in our country's colors for the Nats. Copyright the design, and I'm sure you could sell it to US Soccer for a tidy sum. :cool:

BTW: there are probably a lot of veterans on here, who aren't saying so, but
    are expressing very valid points about flag etiquette. Maybe you ought
    to listen to them, out of respect.

Semper Fi!

17. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes a whole lot of f***ing sense. I'm so proud of our flag that I fly a different one. Whatever. Out.

18. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm very proud of our flag I'm just saying if he wants to make a banner specifically for the Nats while in Europe just don't go and denegrate our flag to do it. if your that proud of our team make a flag that supports them, not saying that the US flag doesn't, just going on the presuposition that he wants something specifically to support the American squad and mentions MLS, american soccer, etc.

19. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah like some one in Sams army sec at the US-MEX game in Cbus someone had a big ass Cali flag attached to old glory I thought that was cool. If your going you should rep for you country as well as your state and why not city Chicago has a pretty cool flag too.

20. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you're saying. Sorry for the outburst by the way. I'm just saying that in my viewpoint it's not denigration.

That said, I don't plan to go and alter the flag any time soon because I know it would offend some.

However, keep in mind that if you or anyone you know has ever worn clothing (hat, t-shirt, sweatshirt, etc) with a US flag on it, technically you have violated the rules of the flag, which is not to be used as decoration of any sort and not to be put on any clothing with the exception of military or public service (ie police, fireperson, etc) uniforms. In my view, that use is at least as dishonorable (if a display of pride can be dishonorable, which I still contest) as the proud display of name of club or city on Old Glory.

It's like (sorry for the non sequitur) the story of Jesus who defended his disciples against the Pharisees when they were picking and eating grain on the Sabbath, a violation of the proscription against work on the Sabbath. He said, "the Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath." Basically the letter of the law is not what matters. And blind following of the rules without comprehending intent serves no purpose. The purpose of flag etiquette is to honor the flag. And the feeling behind the action (honor/pride) is more important than the rule IMO.

21. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well put, frodo. Semper Fidelis. I think we may be going in too deep though. As to the "representation" of The Flag on clothing, it is just that: representation. That is not actually a Flag. I think Congress debated this issue a few years ago.
    For anyone curious about Flag Etiquette ot the flag code, you can visit www.vfw.org and click on, whatelse, Flag Code. I think

22. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It's what's in your heart and mind that counts, not the actual flag. I don't see a problem with writing on it.

23. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    actually... I think it'd be damned cool to get a flag printed with the US Soccer logo in place of the stars... and if anyone decides its vitally important to tell you how hurt they are that you've done so... tell them not to worry... tell them it was a Liberian flag you desecrated --> Flag of Liberia

and not an American one.

not to be rude... but do you think british marines get upset at the hordes of vocal support proudly displaying the Cross of St. George with some symbol or town name sewn on? this is our national team after all.

24. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense, but what sense does that make. It's in my mind to be respectful but i won't do it with my action? If you respect it in your heart and mind, respect enough to keep it clean and not offend anyone, including so many people that sacrificed so much to keep it. The more we write on the flag, wear it as fashion, or add any decorations to it, the more it loses its prominance and respect. Its not a direction i hope we ever go.

25. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    all of our fathers and grandfathers who fought overseas against the axis menace did not do so for a piece of fabric.

and its a direction we've ALREADY gone. like all of the flag napkins flag cups and paper plates... flag boxers shirts hats belt buckles... flag stickers...

also.. by your logic... the more I wear my cross the more it loses its prominence and respect?